Windlass for C400 MKII

Jim King

Hello All,

I think my windlass is on it's last leg.  Probably need to replace.  Has anyone done this recently on a C400 MKII.  I think I have Maxwell but have to go look at it and confirm.

I did a quick look on the topics and found info about MKI windlass and I assumed they might be different shape/size than the MKII.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
"Kashmir" (2006 MKII #335)

Andrew Hussey

Jim

I did it about a year ago. If I remember rightly the old one is the Maxwell Freedom 800. I installed a Maxwell RC8 which was a drop in replacement. My 400 is a Mk1 #129 which was on the shoulder of the Mk1 Mk2 changeover. Photo of mine attached prior to the swap out.
While I was at it I also installed a Down button next to the foot switch shown here but it had to be a small one. Also installed the Maxwell AA360 up/down switch panel at the helm. Hope this helps.

Andy

Regards
Andrew Hussey
andrewhussey@...
+61448408006
,,,,,,,,,/),,,,,,,,,

On 9 Jul 2021, at 12:18, Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I think my windlass is on it's last leg.  Probably need to replace.  Has anyone done this recently on a C400 MKII.  I think I have Maxwell but have to go look at it and confirm.

I did a quick look on the topics and found info about MKI windlass and I assumed they might be different shape/size than the MKII.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
"Kashmir" (2006 MKII #335)

Tim Francis

I can see how the tighter thing that you have to tighten can make someone think their windlass is breaking but it’s chain slipping through. I need to tighten mine now. Sounds like he’ll

On Jul 8, 2021, at 8:54 PM, Andrew Hussey <andrewhussey@...> wrote:

Jim

I did it about a year ago. If I remember rightly the old one is the Maxwell Freedom 800. I installed a Maxwell RC8 which was a drop in replacement. My 400 is a Mk1 #129 which was on the shoulder of the Mk1 Mk2 changeover. Photo of mine attached prior to the swap out.
While I was at it I also installed a Down button next to the foot switch shown here but it had to be a small one. Also installed the Maxwell AA360 up/down switch panel at the helm. Hope this helps.

Andy
<a0df93a1-955a-4570-b470-6ef66a7fe26a.jpg>

Regards
Andrew Hussey
andrewhussey@...
+61448408006
,,,,,,,,,/),,,,,,,,,

On 9 Jul 2021, at 12:18, Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I think my windlass is on it's last leg.  Probably need to replace.  Has anyone done this recently on a C400 MKII.  I think I have Maxwell but have to go look at it and confirm.

I did a quick look on the topics and found info about MKI windlass and I assumed they might be different shape/size than the MKII.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
"Kashmir" (2006 MKII #335)

Tom Sokoloski

Jim,
Most likely you have a Maxwell VW800, as I do on Juniper. Hope this helps.

Jim King

Do they still make a VW800?  On my first search last night I couldn’t find that model.

Most likely you have a Maxwell VW800, as I do on Juniper. Hope this helps.

Jim King

Andy,

Looks very similar.  But I do have 2 big black buttons like the 1 that you have.  Otherwise it does look the same as my MKII.  So I assume the RC8 will fit without any modificiations.  I will go see what I can find out about an RC8.

[...]

I'm pretty sure the VW800 is no longer in production. I'd give a call to Maxwell. I seem to recall that a newer model has the same footprint, and maybe slightly more power?  1000 vs 800? Sorry I can't remember the details.

Tom

Tom Sokoloski

Jim,
One thing to remember is that the RC8 (and others like it) have the chain captive inside the windlass. The VW800 (and others like it), does not have the chain captive. There is a separate chain wheel and capstan (for rope), with nothing "captive".

Tom

Allen W.

The Maxwell RC Series RC8-8 Vertical Windlass (RC8-8 CAPSTAN 12V) [also noted as:  RC88CAP12V]
it a direct replacement for the Freedom 800 that came on the C400 Mk1.

I’m not sure which Windlass came on the Mk2.

The ’single foot switch’ is a Mk1, the dual foot switch is a Mk2.

My price from Defender on Nov, 2020 was:

$1,399.99
Tax: $122.50  (to California)
Shipping:  $41.38
Total:  $1,563.87

Another option is Anchor Express, but they were out of stock when I was looking for mine:

$1,286.99
Shipping: $11.99
Sales Tax:  $93.31   (to California)
Total:  $1,392.29

- ALLEN

C400, Mk1, #154, San Diego

Allen W.

While you’re replacing your windlass, a REALLY nice option is the

For people with a Mk1 (single footswitch)
I’m pretty sure you need to replace your solenoid with a
Reversing Solenoid (part number:   SP5104)
if you’re installing the wireless remote.

I do have a new/uninstalled Reversing Solenoid
if anyone’s interested.

The Maxwell RC8-8 comes with a new solenoid.
I’m not sure, but I think it also came with a wired panel remote switch
and also a new Breaker for the Windlass.

- ALLEN

C400, Mk1, #154, San Diego

4speedfunk

Definitely some big differences between Mk I and Mk II anchor lockers…so make sure to clarify what series of Catalina you are referring to.

My Mk I used a VW800 mounted sideways, and due to this peculiar layout, I only had one choice…the VW1010.  This windlass has the same basic layout as the 800 with separate warping wheel and manual clutch.  I would have liked to use an RC-series but, they have the arm which won’t work when turned sideways.  The 1010 footprint was slightly different from the 800 but I made a ss escutcheon plate to adapt it.  I also added a “power down” button and reversing solenoid.  Been four years…works great.

Allen W.

Double checking is always good.
I emailed him with photos and verified part numbers
and direct replacement units.

The Maxwell rep is:

Will Vrooman

WVrooman@...

Vetus Maxwell Inc

- ALLEN

C400, Mk1, #154, San Diego

_,_

Tim Francis

Eventually I am going with a new windlass and all 3/8 chain. I hate that setup. I anchor a lot. Like daily and in gnarly conditions. It’s a great setup for light wind. But once it gets nasty, I struggle but only had a couple puckers but I see way too many injuries happening without giving it concentration and not getting tunnel vision.

On Jul 9, 2021, at 2:58 AM, Allen W. <wrenchaw@...> wrote:

The Maxwell RC Series RC8-8 Vertical Windlass (RC8-8 CAPSTAN 12V) [also noted as:  RC88CAP12V]
it a direct replacement for the Freedom 800 that came on the C400 Mk1.

I’m not sure which Windlass came on the Mk2.

The ’single foot switch’ is a Mk1, the dual foot switch is a Mk2.

My price from Defender on Nov, 2020 was:

$1,399.99
Tax: $122.50  (to California)
Shipping:  $41.38
Total:  $1,563.87

Another option is Anchor Express, but they were out of stock when I was looking for mine:

$1,286.99
Shipping: $11.99
Sales Tax:  $93.31   (to California)
Total:  $1,392.29

- ALLEN

C400, Mk1, #154, San Diego

Jim King

All,

Rehashing a topic from a few weeks ago.  Removed the motor and gear unit from my windlass today.

The gear unit was connected to the “main” part of the windlass…or it was…but broken off with lots of corrosion.

I need to find my manual but I think it was like Tom Soko said and a Maxwell VW800.  So ready to order a new replacement.  Saw several comments about what fits on the MK I.  But just looking for any info on what fits on a MK II if that is a different layout than the MK I.

I will try and confirm my model number tomorrow and contact that guy at Maxwell that Allen posted and see what he can tell me.  I am hoping that the RC8-8 will work on the MKII.

Cheers,

Jim
“Kashmir” 2006 Mk II #335

I think my windlass is on it's last leg.  Probably need to replace.  Has anyone done this recently on a C400 MKII.  I think I have Maxwell but have to go look at it and confirm.

I did a quick look on the topics and found info about MKI windlass and I assumed they might be different shape/size than the MKII.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
"Kashmir" (2006 MKII #335)

Stefan Damstrom

Same as my Mkii , Maxwell VW800.  Great unit and still going well. Used it tonight even.

--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA

Andrew Hussey

Jim

RC8 is correct.

Regards
Andrew Hussey
andrewhussey@...
+61448408006
,,,,,,,,,/),,,,,,,,,

[...]

<Windlass.jpg>
<Windlass2.JPG>
<Windlass3.JPG>

Tom Sokoloski

Jim,
The RC8 or RC8-8 may fit, and it may be what you want, but please be aware that the chain would be "captive" on the chain wheel, unlike the VW800.

Tom

Jim King

Tom,

I do not want “captive” on the chain wheel.  I have emailed the Maxwell POC to see what he advises.

Do you know of anything that does not have “captive” chain?

Thanks.

Cheers,

JIm

The RC8 or RC8-8 may fit, and it may be what you want, but please be aware that the chain would be "captive" on the chain wheel, unlike the VW800.

Tom

Tom Sokoloski

Jim,
I've heard that the Maxwell guy (Will Vrooman?) is very knowledgeable and helpful. He would know best. Looking at the Defender website, the closest match seems to be the VW1000 (not the VWC1000), but I think I remember reading that the footprints of the VW800 and the VW1000 are slightly different. I also think I remember reading that someone made a SS or aluminum plate to accommodate the different footprints. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to fill the existing holes with epoxy, and drill new ones. Hope this helps.

Tom

Jim King

Tom,

Thanks for that link.