Water Pressure Pump Basin Drainage

Tom Weaver

My intake filter on my water pressure pump failed and the basin (just in front of the doorway to the stateroom) filled with water.  The basin has two small holes which drain to another basin but from there, there is no drainage to the bilge.   The only pathway for the freshwater to follow is to wait until the under basin is completely filled and then finally overflow into the bilge. Has anyone else experienced this? and is it normal for there NOT to be a direct path for water to flow to the bilge from the water pressure pump basin?   What is the logic behind not having a water path to the bilge?

Picture attached 

Roger Calvert

Tom,

Mine drains to the bilge through manufactured holes.  I am sorry to report that I deleted all the pictures I took because ‘who would ever want those pictures again?  The holes were very small and plugged, so I cleaned them with a pipe cleaner on the end of a long flexible rod.  There was also a bunch of stuff down there that had fallen through the cabinet under the sink and I took all that out as well.  In order to see them at all I had to video the entire space with my phone camera.  You might find them that way as well.  I am thinking seriously about cutting an opening to access this area under the deck plate but I am worried about compromising the hull stiffness.

Roger

SV Surprise

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 5:34 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [C400] Water Pressure Pump Basin Drainage

My intake filter on my water pressure pump failed and the basin (just in front of the doorway to the stateroom) filled with water.  The basin has two small holes which drain to another basin but from there, there is no drainage to the bilge.   The only pathway for the freshwater to follow is to wait until the under basin is completely filled and then finally overflow into the bilge. Has anyone else experienced this? and is it normal for there NOT to be a direct path for water to flow to the bilge from the water pressure pump basin?   What is the logic behind not having a water path to the bilge?

Picture attached 

Doug Burr

Hi , I moved mine fwd into the next compartment. Problem solved, and you have more space for beer!
Cheers Doug # 104

On Jan 14, 2021, at 5:52 PM, Roger Calvert <rjlcalvert@...> wrote:

Tom,

Mine drains to the bilge through manufactured holes.  I am sorry to report that I deleted all the pictures I took because ‘who would ever want those pictures again?  The holes were very small and plugged, so I cleaned them with a pipe cleaner on the end of a long flexible rod.  There was also a bunch of stuff down there that had fallen through the cabinet under the sink and I took all that out as well.  In order to see them at all I had to video the entire space with my phone camera.  You might find them that way as well.  I am thinking seriously about cutting an opening to access this area under the deck plate but I am worried about compromising the hull stiffness.

Roger

SV Surprise

Picture attached 

<89AD7CEF148E45F58A9AD1810A0992CB.png>

Tim Francis

Do you guys know if there’s supposed to be a weep hole in the bottom of the engine compartment?  My dripless was leaking good the other day filling up my engine compartment. I have an alarm I put in there so I caught it but was hand pumping water out when it could have gone in the bilge. I’m assuming there’s not one due to oil and bilge junk going overboard. 

On Jan 14, 2021, at 3:52 PM, Roger Calvert <rjlcalvert@...> wrote:

Tom,

Roger

SV Surprise

Picture attached 

Alan Johnson

Hi all
On hull #130 a MK1 there is a pan under the dripless that contains any water from going into the pan under the engine and I have no holes in the engine pan.  There is a weep hole in the pan under the shaft/dripless in the forward end in the center that allows any water to go under the engine pan into the bilge.

Alan J  Skol #130 

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 1:12 PM Tim Francis <tfrancis1979@...> wrote:
Do you guys know if there’s supposed to be a weep hole in the bottom of the engine compartment?  My dripless was leaking good the other day filling up my engine compartment. I have an alarm I put in there so I caught it but was hand pumping water out when it could have gone in the bilge. I’m assuming there’s not one due to oil and bilge junk going overboard. 

Tom,

Roger

SV Surprise

My intake filter on my water pressure pump failed and the basin (just in front of the doorway to the stateroom) filled with water.  The basin has two small holes which drain to another basin but from there, there is no drainage to the bilge.   The only pathway for the freshwater to follow is to wait until the under basin is completely filled and then finally overflow into the bilge. Has anyone else experienced this? and is it normal for there NOT to be a direct path for water to flow to the bilge from the water pressure pump basin?   What is the logic behind not having a water path to the bilge?

Picture attached 

Ken

Tim,

You're correct, if any oil or antifreeze were to be pumped overboard it would be illegal in the USA and Canada.  Besides there's nothing worse, in my mind, than an oily, greasy bilge.

Ken ex. #245 

Tim Francis

Thanks Allen 

On Jan 15, 2021, at 8:39 AM, Alan Johnson <alanwilliamjohnson@...> wrote:

Hi all
On hull #130 a MK1 there is a pan under the dripless that contains any water from going into the pan under the engine and I have no holes in the engine pan.  There is a weep hole in the pan under the shaft/dripless in the forward end in the center that allows any water to go under the engine pan into the bilge.

Alan J  Skol #130 

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 1:12 PM Tim Francis <tfrancis1979@...> wrote:
Do you guys know if there’s supposed to be a weep hole in the bottom of the engine compartment?  My dripless was leaking good the other day filling up my engine compartment. I have an alarm I put in there so I caught it but was hand pumping water out when it could have gone in the bilge. I’m assuming there’s not one due to oil and bilge junk going overboard. 

Tom,

Roger

SV Surprise

My intake filter on my water pressure pump failed and the basin (just in front of the doorway to the stateroom) filled with water.  The basin has two small holes which drain to another basin but from there, there is no drainage to the bilge.   The only pathway for the freshwater to follow is to wait until the under basin is completely filled and then finally overflow into the bilge. Has anyone else experienced this? and is it normal for there NOT to be a direct path for water to flow to the bilge from the water pressure pump basin?   What is the logic behind not having a water path to the bilge?

Picture attached 

Roger Calvert

Tom,

I didn’t get your picture and misread your message as a result.  On SV Surprise Catalina 400 MKII, the water pump is mounted in back on the shelf under the sink.  Once I had a leak and it ran aft across the shelf and dropped into the basin under the floor in front of the stove.  That basin can be accessed by removing the flooring to expose a small opening cut into it.  That is the only real access to that basin.  I did find it had weep holes and they were plugged and there was a lot of stuff that had fallen from the front of the sink shelf down into that area.  I got the stuff out of there, cleaned the weep holes, fixed the pump and closed it all up like the factory did.

The basin your picture shows is storage on Surprise.  I have the power switch for the Bow Thruster in there and the rest is dry storage as there are no holes in the bottom of that basin.  My engine basin does not drain to the bilge and the dripless shaft seal is mounted right were the prop shaft exits the boat.  So it runs straight into the low point on the bilge through another small passage designed for that purpose.  I keep a number of oil absorbent pads directly under the engine and check them for leakage regularly.

Roger

SV Surprise

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Francis
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 10:12 AM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: Re: [C400] Water Pressure Pump Basin Drainage

Do you guys know if there’s supposed to be a weep hole in the bottom of the engine compartment?  My dripless was leaking good the other day filling up my engine compartment. I have an alarm I put in there so I caught it but was hand pumping water out when it could have gone in the bilge. I’m assuming there’s not one due to oil and bilge junk going overboard. 

Tom,

Roger

SV Surprise

Picture attached 

Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free.