From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Morgan Barrieau via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 2:50 PM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Water Tank

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Morgan Barrieau

I had to remove the wood door frame, shelf and all of the plumbing under the sink. It was very tight, so I ended up also removing the aluminum casing on the old water heater and was able to pull it out in two pieces. Because of the size of the 11 gallons replacement, it went in without any problem. The entire project was done in a day. Take a lot of photos before you take the old one apart. It will help you when installing the new unit.

Morgan Barrieau
860-306-1460 Mobile

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:53 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

Hi Morgan:

Thanks so much for your quick response. Did you have any difficulties removing the old tank from under the sink?

Regards,

Frank

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Frank Falcone

Hi Morgan:

This is really helpful. The photos are great! Thanks so much.

…just wondering if the Whale / Seaward #HF2200 can be used to replace the old Seaward #HF2000. The dimensions of the Whale / Seaward are 16” x 16” x 31”.

…your thoughts?

Regards,

Frank, #247

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Morgan Barrieau

I’m sure it’s possible, you will just need to get creative getting it through the opening. The 31” is the tricky one. There should be room once it’s in, but that is why I had to remove the case, to get a better angle so it would fit through the door.

Morgan Barrieau
Altitude-254

[...]

Jim King

Ditto what Morgan said.  But we were able to get the 20-gal tank out without removing the casing.  But it was a bit of pain to get the old one out.  The 11-gal Kuuma went in pretty easy.  1 day job.

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Frank Falcone

Hi Morgan:

Did the aluminum casing come out in one piece?

Regards,

Frank, #247

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Morgan Barrieau

Yes, on three sides. The bottom stayed on. I can’t remember if I unscrewed it or if there were rivets I had to pull through. Since I was disposing of it, I wasn’t very delicate with its removal. It wasn’t difficult to remove, but there was the pink fiberglass insulation around the tank, so wear long sleeves or you will be hurting after.

Morgan Barrieau
Altitude-254

On Jun 7, 2021, at 3:50 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

Hi Morgan:

Did the aluminum casing come out in one piece?

Regards,

Frank, #247

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Frank Falcone

Hi Morgan:

My guess, after reading your responses and looking at your photos, is that I’d need to remove the outer casing of the new tank before inserting the new water tank. Then, attach the casing to the new tank with the new tank already inside. That might be next to impossible!

….your thoughts?

Regards,

Frank

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Frank Falcone

Hi Jim:

Your hull number is #335. My hull number is #247. I wonder if some modifications were made to make it easier to remove the old tank without taking off the outer casing.

…your thoughts?

Regards,

Frank, #247

Ditto what Morgan said.  But we were able to get the 20-gal tank out without removing the casing.  But it was a bit of pain to get the old one out.  The 11-gal Kuuma went in pretty easy.  1 day job.

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Morgan Barrieau

Yes, I agree that would be almost impossible (for me at least). Every boat is a little different, so you may have slightly more room than I did. I used my 11 gallon tank a lot last summer, with multiple people showering and never had an issue. I was reluctant at first giving up the extra 9 gallons, but I don’t miss it.

Morgan Barrieau
Altitude-254

[...]

....good point about the fiberglass insulation! ..any problems marrying up the Kuuma fittings with the existing plumbing?

Regards,

Frank

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Frank Falcone

….sounds like the Kuuma 11 gallon tank is the way to go!

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Morgan Barrieau

No real issues with the plumbing. The fittings are in slightly different positions, so I needed to pull the hoses a bit to get them in the right place. I was able to use the connectors/splitter from the old tank on the new one.

Morgan Barrieau
Altitude-254

On Jun 7, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

Hi Morgan:

....good point about the fiberglass insulation! ..any problems marrying up the Kuuma fittings with the existing plumbing?

Regards,

Frank

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Lee Gerig

Two years ago I removed the old 20 gallon tank and installed a new Attwood F1100 (11 gallon) tank.  It fit perfectly, same connections, and gave me more storage space under the sink.  So far we are very happy with the tank

Cheers

Lee

S/V Keelingtime   #262

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Frank Falcone

Hi Morgan:

GREAT! Thanks.  ...sounds like no real installation problems!

Regards,

Frank, #247

I replaced mine last year with a Kuuma 11 gallon tank. So far, I am very happy with it! It was much easier to install and I have a little extra storage now under the sink.

Morgan Barrieau

Altitude-254

Boston, MA

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

C400 Colleagues:

It look like I’ll need to replace my SEAWARD #HF 2000 Hot Water Tank aboard my 2002 Catalina 400 Mark II.

…any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE,  #247

Frank Falcone

Thanks so much, Lee …great information!