From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 4:45:39 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] VHF Radio & Mast-head Antenna

Hello All,

Got struck by lightning.  My VHF antenna is gone.  Not sure what it was but I think it was a Shakespeare 5241 (or something very similar).  Also fried my SImrad RS35 and HS35 and my stereo (all connected to same antenna).

Going to order Simrad RS40-B (AIS XMIT/RCV) and HS40 (remote handset).  Has anyone done this?

And any advice on what antenna to use?  I think I had the Shakespeare 5241.  But now see this https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2378949 Vesper VHF/AIS which may be better for a combo VHF/AIS system such as the Simrad.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Cheers,
Jim
"Kashmir" (#335 2006 MKII)

--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA

Bryan Benson

I don't have help for the direct question, but found this great chart to know how to compare the AIS systems available.
I am considering what to order and debating on SOTDMA or CSTDMA as well as Sat MSG27.  Not sure at under 8kts the SOTDMA will be worth the extra $$s.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 4:45 PM Jim King via groups.io <c130king=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello All,

Got struck by lightning.  My VHF antenna is gone.  Not sure what it was but I think it was a Shakespeare 5241 (or something very similar).  Also fried my SImrad RS35 and HS35 and my stereo (all connected to same antenna).

Going to order Simrad RS40-B (AIS XMIT/RCV) and HS40 (remote handset).  Has anyone done this?

And any advice on what antenna to use?  I think I had the Shakespeare 5241.  But now see this https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2378949 Vesper VHF/AIS which may be better for a combo VHF/AIS system such as the Simrad.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Cheers,
Jim
"Kashmir" (#335 2006 MKII)

Lee Gerig

Hi Jim

I just installed the Vesper Marine AIS and their splitter.  I still have my original Shakespeare antenna. The Vesper AIS and Splitter are amazing. Product quality is top notch and technical support is immediate, helpful and friendly.

Based on my experience I will purchase Vesper products in the future.

Cheers

Lee
S/V Keelingtime #262

On Jul 28, 2021, at 7:45 PM, Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Got struck by lightning.  My VHF antenna is gone.  Not sure what it was but I think it was a Shakespeare 5241 (or something very similar).  Also fried my SImrad RS35 and HS35 and my stereo (all connected to same antenna).

Going to order Simrad RS40-B (AIS XMIT/RCV) and HS40 (remote handset).  Has anyone done this?

And any advice on what antenna to use?  I think I had the Shakespeare 5241.  But now see this https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2378949 Vesper VHF/AIS which may be better for a combo VHF/AIS system such as the Simrad.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Cheers,
Jim
"Kashmir" (#335 2006 MKII)

Tom Sokoloski

Jim,
Lee wrote the exact note that I would have written. I've only had the Vesper XB-8000 installed since April, but the performance has been amazing. So much better than the AIS built into a VHF radio I had before. The antenna splitter performs flawlessly, and I'm pulling in more FM stations on the stereo, too. I have not replaced my VHF antenna.
One other item. Everything I've read says to upgrade the coax cable. OEM coax is marginal.
Hope this helps.

Jim King

Tom,

Just to clarify.  You have the XB-8000 antenna for AIS and Stereo?  And you have a separate antenna for your VHF?

I am hoping that the Vesper will be my only antenna.  It will feed the VHF/AIS (single unit…does both) and the stereo.

I will talk to my guys about installing Coax.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jim

Lee wrote the exact note that I would have written. I've only had the Vesper XB-8000 installed since April, but the performance has been amazing. So much better than the AIS built into a VHF radio I had before. The antenna splitter performs flawlessly, and I'm pulling in more FM stations on the stereo, too. I have not replaced my VHF antenna.

One other item. Everything I've read says to upgrade the coax cable. OEM coax is marginal.

Hope this helps.

Tom Sokoloski

Jim,
I use the VHF antenna at the masthead for VHF, AIS, and AM/FM. They all neatly plug into the Vesper splitter. The Vesper unit also comes with its own GPS antenna, so I now have two GPS antennas (Raymarine chartplotter + Vesper AIS), plus who knows how many others in cell phones, etc.  :-)

Tom

Jim King

Copy that.  I mis-understood your first post.

I am looking at the Vesper Antenna to feed all three.  And the splitter down inside to split between VHF (with built in AIS) and Stereo.  I will look into the Vesper splitter as well.

From what I understand my VHF gets it’s GPS feed via NMEA from my Raymarine Chartplotter (Axiom 9).

I use the VHF antenna at the masthead for VHF, AIS, and AM/FM. They all neatly plug into the Vesper splitter. The Vesper unit also comes with its own GPS antenna, so I now have two GPS antennas (Raymarine chartplotter + Vesper AIS), plus who knows how many others in cell phones, etc.  :-)

Tom

Lee Gerig

Hi Jim

Once you install the Vesper GPS antenna I think you will find that it performs better than the Raymarine, at least it does in my case. The Vesper GPS data will be fed to all your NMEA 0183 and 2000 devices including your radio.

Mine was a very easy install

Cheers Lee
S/V Keelingtime #262

On Jul 29, 2021, at 8:19 AM, Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...> wrote:

Copy that.  I mis-understood your first post.

I am looking at the Vesper Antenna to feed all three.  And the splitter down inside to split between VHF (with built in AIS) and Stereo.  I will look into the Vesper splitter as well.

From what I understand my VHF gets it’s GPS feed via NMEA from my Raymarine Chartplotter (Axiom 9).

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of "Jim King via groups.io" <c130king@...>
Date: Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 9:32 AM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>

[...]

Lee,
That diagram is SUPER impressive!  Thanks for sharing.

Tom