VHF Radio & Mast-head Antenna

Jim King

Hello All,

Got struck by lightning.  My VHF antenna is gone.  Not sure what it was but I think it was a Shakespeare 5241 (or something very similar).  Also fried my SImrad RS35 and HS35 and my stereo (all connected to same antenna).

Going to order Simrad RS40-B (AIS XMIT/RCV) and HS40 (remote handset).  Has anyone done this? 

And any advice on what antenna to use?  I think I had the Shakespeare 5241.  But now see this https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2378949 Vesper VHF/AIS which may be better for a combo VHF/AIS system such as the Simrad.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Cheers,
Jim
"Kashmir" (#335 2006 MKII)

Stefan Damstrom

I was just up yesterday wondering about a switch from the Shakespeare 5241 whip to a Davis Instruments or similar antenna / wind indicator combo.  

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 4:45:39 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] VHF Radio & Mast-head Antenna

Hello All,

Got struck by lightning.  My VHF antenna is gone.  Not sure what it was but I think it was a Shakespeare 5241 (or something very similar).  Also fried my SImrad RS35 and HS35 and my stereo (all connected to same antenna).

Going to order Simrad RS40-B (AIS XMIT/RCV) and HS40 (remote handset).  Has anyone done this? 

And any advice on what antenna to use?  I think I had the Shakespeare 5241.  But now see this https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2378949 Vesper VHF/AIS which may be better for a combo VHF/AIS system such as the Simrad.

Cheers,
Jim

--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA 

Bryan Benson

I don't have help for the direct question, but found this great chart to know how to compare the AIS systems available.
I am considering what to order and debating on SOTDMA or CSTDMA as well as Sat MSG27.  Not sure at under 8kts the SOTDMA will be worth the extra $$s.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 4:45 PM Jim King via groups.io <c130king=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello All,

Cheers,
Jim

Lee Gerig

Hi Jim 

I just installed the Vesper Marine AIS and their splitter.  I still have my original Shakespeare antenna. The Vesper AIS and Splitter are amazing. Product quality is top notch and technical support is immediate, helpful and friendly. 

Based on my experience I will purchase Vesper products in the future. 

Cheers 

Lee
S/V Keelingtime #262

On Jul 28, 2021, at 7:45 PM, Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Cheers,
Jim

Tom Sokoloski

Jim,
Lee wrote the exact note that I would have written. I've only had the Vesper XB-8000 installed since April, but the performance has been amazing. So much better than the AIS built into a VHF radio I had before. The antenna splitter performs flawlessly, and I'm pulling in more FM stations on the stereo, too. I have not replaced my VHF antenna. 
One other item. Everything I've read says to upgrade the coax cable. OEM coax is marginal. 
Hope this helps.

Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Jim King

Tom,

Just to clarify.  You have the XB-8000 antenna for AIS and Stereo?  And you have a separate antenna for your VHF?

I am hoping that the Vesper will be my only antenna.  It will feed the VHF/AIS (single unit…does both) and the stereo.

I will talk to my guys about installing Coax.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jim

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Sokoloski
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2021 5:30 AM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: Re: [C400] VHF Radio & Mast-head Antenna

Jim,

Lee wrote the exact note that I would have written. I've only had the Vesper XB-8000 installed since April, but the performance has been amazing. So much better than the AIS built into a VHF radio I had before. The antenna splitter performs flawlessly, and I'm pulling in more FM stations on the stereo, too. I have not replaced my VHF antenna. 

One other item. Everything I've read says to upgrade the coax cable. OEM coax is marginal. 

Hope this helps.

Tom Soko

Juniper #307

Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Tom Sokoloski

Jim,
I use the VHF antenna at the masthead for VHF, AIS, and AM/FM. They all neatly plug into the Vesper splitter. The Vesper unit also comes with its own GPS antenna, so I now have two GPS antennas (Raymarine chartplotter + Vesper AIS), plus who knows how many others in cell phones, etc.  :-)

Tom

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Jim King

Copy that.  I mis-understood your first post.

I am looking at the Vesper Antenna to feed all three.  And the splitter down inside to split between VHF (with built in AIS) and Stereo.  I will look into the Vesper splitter as well.

From what I understand my VHF gets it’s GPS feed via NMEA from my Raymarine Chartplotter (Axiom 9). 

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Sokoloski
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2021 6:31 AM

Jim,

I use the VHF antenna at the masthead for VHF, AIS, and AM/FM. They all neatly plug into the Vesper splitter. The Vesper unit also comes with its own GPS antenna, so I now have two GPS antennas (Raymarine chartplotter + Vesper AIS), plus who knows how many others in cell phones, etc.  :-)

Tom

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Lee Gerig

Hi Jim

Once you install the Vesper GPS antenna I think you will find that it performs better than the Raymarine, at least it does in my case. The Vesper GPS data will be fed to all your NMEA 0183 and 2000 devices including your radio. 

Mine was a very easy install 

Cheers Lee
S/V Keelingtime #262

On Jul 29, 2021, at 8:19 AM, Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...> wrote:

I am looking at the Vesper Antenna to feed all three.  And the splitter down inside to split between VHF (with built in AIS) and Stereo.  I will look into the Vesper splitter as well.

From what I understand my VHF gets it’s GPS feed via NMEA from my Raymarine Chartplotter (Axiom 9). 

Jim,

Tom

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Jim King

Maybe I am not understanding how everything works.  I thought the Vesper antenna ran down to the splitter and the splitter sends an antenna feed into the VHF and into the Stereo.

My Raymarine unit has a built in GPS (as far as I know) and is not getting it’s GPS feed from an external antenna.  And the GPS feed into the VHF (for DSC and AIS purposes) is coming from the Raymarine unit via NMEA.

I have no antenna right now…it was blown off by the lightning strike.  But the Raymarine Axiom 9 still works as a chartplotter using it’s internal antenna. 

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lee Gerig
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2021 8:00 AM

Hi Jim

Once you install the Vesper GPS antenna I think you will find that it performs better than the Raymarine, at least it does in my case. The Vesper GPS data will be fed to all your NMEA 0183 and 2000 devices including your radio. 

Cheers Lee

S/V Keelingtime #262

Jim,

Tom

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Lee Gerig

Hi Jim

Yes, the axiom 9 has a built in GPS antenna, but it is not as good as the Vesper GPS antenna.  Your Axiom 9 is on a ethernet backbone (STng).  You will connect your vesper un it to this backbone using the Raymarine E70196.  Then you can select from the Axiom 9 setup screen to use the Vesper GPS data.  I am attaching a copy of the layout for my install.  It shows all the Raymarine interface components.  I hope this helps.

Cheers Lee

S/V Keelingtime #262

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of "Jim King via groups.io" <c130king@...>
Reply-To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 9:32 AM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>

Maybe I am not understanding how everything works.  I thought the Vesper antenna ran down to the splitter and the splitter sends an antenna feed into the VHF and into the Stereo.

My Raymarine unit has a built in GPS (as far as I know) and is not getting it’s GPS feed from an external antenna.  And the GPS feed into the VHF (for DSC and AIS purposes) is coming from the Raymarine unit via NMEA.

I have no antenna right now…it was blown off by the lightning strike.  But the Raymarine Axiom 9 still works as a chartplotter using it’s internal antenna. 

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lee Gerig
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2021 8:00 AM

Hi Jim

Cheers Lee

S/V Keelingtime #262

Jim,

Tom

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Tom Sokoloski

Lee,
That diagram is SUPER impressive!  Thanks for sharing. 

Tom

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT