From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Sokoloski via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 7:52 PM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Vertical Battens for inmast furling mains

Lee,

I had a new furling main built about five years ago. I had wanted vertical battens, but the sailmaker talked me out of them, giving me all of the cons (none of the pros). A year later I had another sailmaker install them, and I couldn't be happier. Without the battens, the leach of the sail would either flap incessantly, or if I tightened the leach line to stop the flapping, the leach would "hook" to windward. The vertical battens are great. Better sail shape and smoother airflow across the sail. There are 4 of them, each about 4 feet long, and they don't overlap. They add just a tiny bit of diameter to the furled sail, but the difference is not noticeable when furling or unfurling. I highly recommend them. Hope this helps.

Nonak, CT

Tom Sokoloski

Frank,
As long as I keep a bit of tension on the output to get a tight furl, there's no binding at all.
Tom

Frank Falcone

Hi Tom:

Ok, thanks so much for your quick response.

Regards,

Frank

As long as I keep a bit of tension on the output to get a tight furl, there's no binding at all.

Tom

Tom Sokoloski

Frank,
Sorry about the auto correct...I meant to say outhaul,  not output.
Tom