Standing rigging replacement

Kim Chapman

So I'm replacing the standing rigging this year. 13 years on Lake Ontario and 7 years in Florida/Bahamas and the wire is showing rust bleeding through from the inner strands. I guess 20 years is a reasonable life.

Unfortunately the boat is in Stuart, Florida, and I'm in Toronto so I need to rely on someone else to do something I'd rather manage myself. I'm stored at the Hinckley yard in Stuart and have gotten to know the local rigger that does most of that sort of work in their yard. I'll probably just give the rigger at Hinckley the go ahead to get the job done but I would like to get a second quote for the job.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on who I could engage in Stuart.

Also wondering what a reasonable price is for the new wire, swages, and swaging effort.

Thanks...

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence

orion320@sbcglobal.net

I just had my standing rigging replaced this spring in Corpus Christi, TX.  Expect to spend around $4,000 if you use your existing turnbuckles.  I waited too long to replace mine (17 years) but there was no sign of imminent failure.  I have been in salt the whole time (San Francisco and the Gulf of Mexico) and I knew I was living on borrowed time.

I hope you can find a good rigger at a reasonable price.  You got your money's worth on the original rigging.

Steve
S/V Independence
San Francisco, CA
C-400 #284

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 5:28:39 PM CDT, Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken

Kim,
Call Mack Sails they do full service rigging as well.

[...]

Alan Johnson

I replaced the standing rigging on two boats. A H37 C and on my C400. Seaco South of Florida did both. On the H37C they did the original rigging and just sent it to me and I replaced it wire by wire. I think they also had the specs on the C400 also. As i recall replacement cost was $1200 plus labor (my own) to install.

Alan J #130

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020, 8:38 PM Ken <kdg_1@...> wrote:
[...]

chic lasser

I work for Mack Sails and Rigging and more than happy to get you some pricing. I try to work with fellow owners and offer a better price than going directly thru the loft. Let me know you can reach me off line at Chiclasser1@.... Chic

On Aug 22, 2020, at 11:33 PM, Alan Johnson <alanwilliamjohnson@...> wrote:

[...]

Fritz Feiten

I’m curious if replacing the standing rigging requires removing the mast or if it is done with the mast up, one piece at a time. I’ve not had to replace rigging on other boats I‘ve owned, but my 1997 C400 is due.

The late Brion Toss evaluated my rig two years ago and could not find any obvious signs of degradation. He pointed out that rigging lasts longer in the rain at 48 degrees north than it does closer to the equator due to the reduced air salinity. That said, I was dismasted in a meltemi in Greece many years ago from a failed upper shroud, and don’t wish to repeat the experience.

Fritz

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

On Aug 23, 2020, at 4:46 AM, chic lasser via groups.io <chiclasser1@...> wrote:

[...]

Fortunately my mast is already down. A requirement of storing a boat in a cat5 boatyard such as Hinckley in Stuart.

The rigging on a 400 is easily replaced, one wire at a time. When all four lower shrouds are secure and snug the mast isn't going anywhere, even without the other wires in place. Although when changing the stays it's always prudent to have a redundant halyard in place...K-)

Kim

[...]

C400 rigging

The standing rigging on my MK1 #130 was replaced with the mast up.  My MK1 has a keel stepped mast.  We sent an individual up the mast and one wire was replaced at a time.  As a precaution we moved the spinnaker halyard around as we replaced the stay.  The whole job only took 2 hours

Alan J  #130 Skol.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:58 AM Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...> wrote:

[...]

4speedfunk

Last September, I stopped by a very well-known rigging outfit in Annapolis (which shall remain nameless).  I told the guy what my boat was and he was very familiar with the C400, and had done several of them.  He quoted me the amazing deal of $10,500 to replace the standing rigging.  Once I quit rolling around on the floor laughing hysterically...I gathered myself and finally made it to my feet.  Through the tears in my eyes, I thanked him for his time and moved-on.  His business card didn't even make it to my car.  Moral of the story is...there is a lot of BS out there in the marine services industry.

Fast forward a year, and I have decided to do the re-rig myself one string at a time.  It honestly doesn't look like a big deal, and Seco South sounds like the place (thanks Alan).  I may call a guy in to do the final tension adjustments but, to be frank...I am so routinely disappointed with alleged "boat experts" that I will probably buy a tension gauge and do it myself.  That way I know its done right, and I have the gauge for future adjustments.  In the meantime, here is a photo I snapped from my 1997 Catalina owners manual.  At that time, Catalina was not using CAD drawings or digital manuals.  The entire thing is hand drawn or typed on a typewriter!  Shown in lower chart is the exact length, diameter, and end type for the standing rigging.

BTW, this is for a 1997 C400, MK I model with a keel-stepped (Sparco mast/boom), with the standard stack-pack (non furling) main.

Allen W.

I also received a similar quote ($11,8k NOT including the shipyard and crane to remove the mast.)

Quick question, has anyone that’s done theirs with the mast up done a rigging survey afterwards?

I currently have a rigging exclusion on my insurance because no rigging survey was done when I bought the boat.
When I went to get the survey afterwards, the surveyor told me the original standing rigging would have to be replaced
or it would not be “approved” for insurance purposes.

I’m moving to a new marina fairly soon.  I’m going to look into replacing one line at a time with the mast up.

- ALLEN -
1999 mk1

On Aug 24, 2020, at 6:33 AM, Christian Wilson <wilsonmech@...> wrote:

[...]

<_096 standing rigging.jpg>

chic lasser

Allen, I’ll let you no the figure. Chic

On Aug 24, 2020, at 10:25 PM, Allen W. <wrenchaw@...> wrote:

[...]

nick walker

Hi all,

Here in Australia, most insurers will not insure your rig if the standing rigging is more than 10 years old.  Some may insure it but will pay out on pro rata basis by age on loss of a rig.  Most require a survey on a boat at 10 years of age then 5 yearly after that, including the rigging.

It is an expensive thing to do every ten years but I think I'd rather that than lose the rig and not be covered for the spars and any damage to the hull....

Cheers,
Nick
Divided Sky