Spinlock XT clutch rebuild or change out?

Allen W.

Has anyone rebuilt or changed out their cabin top Spinlock XT clutches?

I have Spinlock XT clutch (1999 Mk1) that will not hold a new 3/8” line.  I’m not sure if the rebuild on this is the Handle, Cam, or Handle and Cam.  I’d like to avoid any unnecessary work or mistakes.

I downloaded the ‘rebuild instructions’ from the Spinlock website and they mention:

“Removing the Powerclutch from the deck”.

So I take that as the sides have to be removed to get to the mounting screws.

What I’d REALLY like to do is replace them with Garhauer clutches and am wondering if anyone has ever changed theirs out.

All help greatly appreciated!

- ALLEN

C400, 1999, Mk1, #154, San Diego

4speedfunk

Very first project I did when I bought my 96 Mk I, was replacing the useless main sheet jammer cleat with a matching Spinlock clutch cleat.  I simply drilled & tapped two new holes in the cabin roof (next to the existing Spinlocks) and bolted it down.  There is an aluminum plate molded into the coachroof to make for a solid mount.  You do not need to remove the side plates of the Spinlock…bolt access is from the top.  Open the clutch, pull the line out, and flip the spring-loaded jaw up.  The bolts (or screws) will be visible.

Not sure the original Spinlock jaws would ever hold a 3/8” line.  All of my lines are 1/2” (per the Catalina manual).  Perhaps that’s the minimum size that will work with the Spinlocks?

My main halyard is 1/2” NE Sta-set and it does slip occasionally.  It held when new but, because the jaws always grip it in the same spot…I think the line is worn.  I’m looking for a Dyneema-cored replacement.

chic lasser

Allen I have a new spin lock XT clutch I’m selling for $50 plus shipping if interested. Chic
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg