From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stefan Damstrom via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 2:07 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Shaft Seal

Do you have the PYI dripless shaft seal or stuffing box setup?

The carbon disk shouldn’t wear but there may be crud on the stainless shaft ring.  The manufacturer recommends some 400-600 wet dry sandpaper wedge in between and cleaning around the rings.  Neither will get damaged per PYI.

My shaft slings a bit of transmission oil due to slight weap at the seal.

From: Matt Perry <mhperry815@...>
Date: August 12, 2021 at 11:14 AM

Does anyone have the manual for flushing/burping out the PSS?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 7:35 AM Tom Sokoloski < tomsoko@...> wrote:
Frank,
I think that the carbon dust/water slurry that has been slung out from the PSS is pretty normal. I have it on Juniper and had it on my C36. I agree with Steve that cleaning the carbon surface with super-fine wet/dry sandpaper is a good idea. Also "burping" the PSS occasionally is a good idea to flush out any contaminants that might be between the surfaces. Hope this helps.

Matt Perry

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence

Frank Falcone

Colleagues:

As I understand, ‘burping’ simply means pulling back the rubber ring that’s in contact with the SS ring slightly. A small quantity of water will come in and can, essentially, be used to clean the facing surfaces of those 2 rings. I think that’s it.

…thoughts, comments, instructions, etc?

Regards,

Frank, #247

Does anyone have the manual for flushing/burping out the PSS?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 7:35 AM Tom Sokoloski <tomsoko@...> wrote:

Frank,

I think that the carbon dust/water slurry that has been slung out from the PSS is pretty normal. I have it on Juniper and had it on my C36. I agree with Steve that cleaning the carbon surface with super-fine wet/dry sandpaper is a good idea. Also "burping" the PSS occasionally is a good idea to flush out any contaminants that might be between the surfaces. Hope this helps.

Matt Perry

Tom Sokoloski

Frank, that's it exactly. It seems scary when you first do it, but very little water actually comes in. Don't be afraid to do it several times.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021, 12:23 PM Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your response. I’ll plan to do this today or tomorrow.

Regards,

Frank