[EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Shaft Seal

Frank Falcone

Hi Stefan:

Thanks for your response. I have a PYI Shaft Seal. I think there must be some ‘crud’ between the rubber (carbon) ring and the SS Ring. I’ll clean out that area with a rag and some 400-600 grit sandpaper.

Thanks so much for your guidance!

Regards,

Frank Falcone

SILVER EAGLE, #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stefan Damstrom via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 2:07 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Shaft Seal

Do you have the PYI dripless shaft seal or stuffing box setup?

The carbon disk shouldn’t wear but there may be crud on the stainless shaft ring.  The manufacturer recommends some 400-600 wet dry sandpaper wedge in between and cleaning around the rings.  Neither will get damaged per PYI.  

My shaft slings a bit of transmission oil due to slight weap at the seal.  

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 10:50:04 AM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Shaft Seal

C400 Colleagues:

Recently, I removed the floor board in our aft stateroom (C400 Mark II) to clean out my aft AC Strainer. When I did, I noticed some black rubber powder on the back side (inside) of the floor board and around the shaft seal at the forward edge of the shaft seal. It looks like this rubber powder was ‘flung off’ of the shaft seal while the engine was running and the transmission engaged. I never saw this before.

…any thoughts?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE  #247

--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA 

Tom Sokoloski

Frank,
I think that the carbon dust/water slurry that has been slung out from the PSS is pretty normal. I have it on Juniper and had it on my C36. I agree with Steve that cleaning the carbon surface with super-fine wet/dry sandpaper is a good idea. Also "burping" the PSS occasionally is a good idea to flush out any contaminants that might be between the surfaces. Hope this helps.

Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Tom Sokoloski

Opps. Sorry. I meant Stefan, not Steve!

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Frank Falcone

Hi Tom:

Yes, this helps. I watched 2 ‘U’ Tube Videos about PYI shaft seals.. They both said the same thing about cleaning. I’ll plan to clean it this coming weekend and to ‘burp’ it occasionally.

Thanks, Tom!

Regards,

Frank

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Sokoloski via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 8:35 AM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Shaft Seal

Frank,

I think that the carbon dust/water slurry that has been slung out from the PSS is pretty normal. I have it on Juniper and had it on my C36. I agree with Steve that cleaning the carbon surface with super-fine wet/dry sandpaper is a good idea. Also "burping" the PSS occasionally is a good idea to flush out any contaminants that might be between the surfaces. Hope this helps.

Tom Soko

Juniper #307

Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Matt Perry

Does anyone have the manual for flushing/burping out the PSS?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 7:35 AM Tom Sokoloski <tomsoko@...> wrote:
Frank,

Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--
Matt Perry

Kim Chapman

Just grab the black bellows and nudge it aft. You'll get a gush of sea water and that will bleed out any air and other crap.

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

---------- Original Message ----------
Date: August 12, 2021 at 11:14 AM

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 7:35 AM Tom Sokoloski < tomsoko@...> wrote:
Frank,
I think that the carbon dust/water slurry that has been slung out from the PSS is pretty normal. I have it on Juniper and had it on my C36. I agree with Steve that cleaning the carbon surface with super-fine wet/dry sandpaper is a good idea. Also "burping" the PSS occasionally is a good idea to flush out any contaminants that might be between the surfaces. Hope this helps.

Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--
Matt Perry

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Frank Falcone

Colleagues:

As I understand, ‘burping’ simply means pulling back the rubber ring that’s in contact with the SS ring slightly. A small quantity of water will come in and can, essentially, be used to clean the facing surfaces of those 2 rings. I think that’s it.

…thoughts, comments, instructions, etc?

Regards,

Frank, #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Matt Perry via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 11:14 AM

Frank,

Tom Soko

Juniper #307

Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--

Matt Perry

Tom Sokoloski

Frank, that's it exactly. It seems scary when you first do it, but very little water actually comes in. Don't be afraid to do it several times.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021, 12:23 PM Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

Colleagues:

As I understand, ‘burping’ simply means pulling back the rubber ring that’s in contact with the SS ring slightly. A small quantity of water will come in and can, essentially, be used to clean the facing surfaces of those 2 rings. I think that’s it.

Regards,

Frank, #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Matt Perry via groups.io

Frank,

Tom Soko

Juniper #307

Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--

Matt Perry

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Frank Falcone

Hi Tom:

Thanks for your response. I’ll plan to do this today or tomorrow.

Regards,

Frank

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Sokoloski via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 2:38 PM

Frank, that's it exactly. It seems scary when you first do it, but very little water actually comes in. Don't be afraid to do it several times.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021, 12:23 PM Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

Colleagues:

Regards,

Frank, #247

Frank,

Tom Soko

Juniper #307

Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--

Matt Perry

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307