Shaft Seal

Frank Falcone

C400 Colleagues:

Recently, I removed the floor board in our aft stateroom (C400 Mark II) to clean out my aft AC Strainer. When I did, I noticed some black rubber powder on the back side (inside) of the floor board and around the shaft seal at the forward edge of the shaft seal. It looks like this rubber powder was ‘flung off’ of the shaft seal while the engine was running and the transmission engaged. I never saw this before.

…any thoughts?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE  #247

Stefan Damstrom

Do you have the PYI dripless shaft seal or stuffing box setup?
The carbon disk shouldn’t wear but there may be crud on the stainless shaft ring.  The manufacturer recommends some 400-600 wet dry sandpaper wedge in between and cleaning around the rings.  Neither will get damaged per PYI.  
My shaft slings a bit of transmission oil due to slight weap at the seal.  

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 10:50:04 AM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Shaft Seal

C400 Colleagues:

Recently, I removed the floor board in our aft stateroom (C400 Mark II) to clean out my aft AC Strainer. When I did, I noticed some black rubber powder on the back side (inside) of the floor board and around the shaft seal at the forward edge of the shaft seal. It looks like this rubber powder was ‘flung off’ of the shaft seal while the engine was running and the transmission engaged. I never saw this before.

…any thoughts?

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE  #247

--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA