From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of nick walker via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 9:20 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Screw drilled through hull bottomby Rudder. Post

Ouch, that's nasty.  Mark, you may be able to seal the hole temporarily using some sealant and a new stainless screw until your next lift out but to do a proper, permanent repair, it will almost certainly need to be done out of the water so the hole can be cleaned out and dried properly before filling with something like resin or epoxy.

That is a long run for the cables for a start battery though.  I've put in a spiral wound, sealed battery (https://www.optimabatteries.com/products/bluetop) under the bed alongside the muffler in the rear cabin.   I bedded in a thick marine ply base on Sikaflex and coated it with flow coat for the battery to sit on.  The Sika over an area of roughly a square foot will hold some impressive loading so the battery is clamped down straight to the board with a couple of chocks to stop it sliding anyway.

Could save you some lazarette space, reduce the risk of damage to the battery and or cables and shorten the cable runs for your starter.

All REDTOPs (except the 6V) & all YELLOWTOPs (except the DH6, 51, DS46B24R, 27 & 31) come with a variety of adapters for fitment. While OPTIMA doesn't offer what we consider to be 'direct-fit' replacements for every vehicle, many owners have successfully used our products in applications that we would consider to be 'custom fitments.'

Food for thought...

Good luck sealing that hole.

Regards,

Nick