Replacing Hatch & Port Light Gaskets 2006 C400 MKII

Jim King

Hello All,

Has anyone ordered the Lewmar gasket replacement pieces/parts for a MKII (2006 C400 #335 in my case) from Catalina Direct?  Just a little confused over which of the many gasket kits on CD are the proper one? 

Appreciate any assistance with finding the proper gasket kits.

Cheers,

Jim

“Kashmir” (2006 C400 #335)

motiondetectors

Jim off topic
We have a Kashmir power boat at our harbor and when he leaves the dock he blasts Led Zeppelin kashmir

Brings me back to my youth 

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...>
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 2:36 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Replacing Hatch & Port Light Gaskets 2006 C400 MKII

Hello All,

Has anyone ordered the Lewmar gasket replacement pieces/parts for a MKII (2006 C400 #335 in my case) from Catalina Direct?  Just a little confused over which of the many gasket kits on CD are the proper one? 

Cheers,

Jim

Jim King

Me too… 😉

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of motiondetectors
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 4:36 PM
To: Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...>; C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: Re: [C400] Replacing Hatch & Port Light Gaskets 2006 C400 MKII

Jim off topic

We have a Kashmir power boat at our harbor and when he leaves the dock he blasts Led Zeppelin kashmir

Brings me back to my youth 

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...>
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 2:36 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Replacing Hatch & Port Light Gaskets 2006 C400 MKII

Hello All,

Cheers,

Jim

Tom Weaver

I replaced the seals in my old standard lewmar port lights.   6 size 2 and 2 size 0.  Didn’t stop my leaks.   My leaks were caused by original install butyl tape giving way in the heat over the years.   

I replaced all my port lights with new standard replacements and completely stopped all leaks.   If I had it to do over I would probably take one more try at the old standard port lights by resealing them with 3M 4000.   

I also replaced a seal on one of my coastal series hatches.   Hatchmasters should have everything you need. 

Tom Weaver

~~/)~~

On Jan 11, 2021, at 2:35 PM, Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Cheers,

Jim

4speedfunk

I did the same task two years ago, with the same exact results.

First I spent a few bucks buying replacement gaskets and o-rings, to try and get my old-style Lewmars to seal up.  Then came a couple days of pulling, scraping, cleaning, and re-bedding each port.  While I was at it, I also tried to fix a leak in the giant v-berth hatch, re-bedding it no less than three times.  All of this was a complete waste of time.  Lewmar products are not meant to be pulled and re-installed several times.  I think previous attempts to seal them had resulted in bent and sprung frames, and after removing and inspecting them...I think 20 years is way past their useable life.

Admitting defeat...I went to Defender and bought all new Lewmar ports (new-style) and a new v-berth hatch.  Best thing I ever did for my boat.  If Catalinas had really nice SS ports that cost hundreds of dollars each...I would totally recommend fixing them.  But Lewmars are so cheap, that it really does not make sense to restore them.  Just spend the extra dough and buy new ones...I think I did my entire C400 for around $1200.  With no clean-up or restoring, it only took one day to replace all of them.  I did have to buy some longer SS bolts for the side ports, due to the Catalina's rather thick coach roof.  The original 5-hinge v-berth hatch was replaced with a newer version of the same dimensions.  The new one has only 3-hinges.  I believe it was around $800.  Pretty expensive compared to all the other hatches but, well worth it to have a dry mattress.

Open box. 
Apply Bed-it brand butyl tape. 
Bolt-on. 

Get back to sailing instead of placing buckets & towels all over your boat to catch the drips.

Tom Weaver

And when buying M5 screws, remember that no two port lights will take the same length screws.  Mine varied between 30 and 55 mm. Recommend measuring the hull thickness in top, bottom, both sides of each port light cut-out.   

Let me know if you need screws, I will send you all of my spares.  

~~/)~~

On Jan 12, 2021, at 8:16 AM, Christian Wilson <wilsonmech@...> wrote:

First I spent a few bucks buying replacement gaskets and o-rings, to try and get my old-style Lewmars to seal up.  Then came a couple days of pulling, scraping, cleaning, and re-bedding each port.  While I was at it, I also tried to fix a leak in the giant v-berth hatch, re-bedding it no less than three times.  All of this was a complete waste of time.  Lewmar products are not meant to be pulled and re-installed several times.  I think previous attempts to seal them had resulted in bent and sprung frames, and after removing and inspecting them...I think 20 years is way past their useable life.

Admitting defeat...I went to Defender and bought all new Lewmar ports (new-style) and a new v-berth hatch.  Best thing I ever did for my boat.  If Catalinas had really nice SS ports that cost hundreds of dollars each...I would totally recommend fixing them.  But Lewmars are so cheap, that it really does not make sense to restore them.  Just spend the extra dough and buy new ones...I think I did my entire C400 for around $1200.  With no clean-up or restoring, it only took one day to replace all of them.  I did have to buy some longer SS bolts for the side ports, due to the Catalina's rather thick coach roof.  The original 5-hinge v-berth hatch was replaced with a newer version of the same dimensions.  The new one has only 3-hinges.  I believe it was around $800.  Pretty expensive compared to all the other hatches but, well worth it to have a dry mattress.

Open box. 
Bolt-on. 

Get back to sailing instead of placing buckets & towels all over your boat to catch the drips.

Tom Weaver

I too replaced the forward hatch.  The original  butyl tape had succumbed to summer heat and oozed forward.  The tape at the aft side of the hatch had dripped down into the trim frame and the tape on the sides bad oozed forward until there was no tape at all.  The frame on the sides had bowed until it was impossible to close and get a good seal because the absence of sealant (butyl tape) left a gap under the hatch frame.   I will never use butyl tape for anything again since it never cures completely and remains semi liquid.  Summer heat compounds the problem making it even more liquid.  I have had good success using 3M 4000. It’s flexibility and UV resistance have served me well so far.  

After replacing all port lights and the forward hatch using 3M 4000, I have ended my Tupperware parties.  

~~/)~~

On Jan 12, 2021, at 8:16 AM, Christian Wilson <wilsonmech@...> wrote:

Open box. 
Bolt-on. 

Stefan Damstrom

Jim I have them on order from my local supply (Fisheries in Seattle). Special order and expected to take a few weeks to get.  

Are you planning to re-bed the portlight frames? I figured I would since it’s been 20 years.  
--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA

Jim King

I was not planning on doing a re-bed at this time.  Seems to me as if the leaks are around the gaskets.  Need to relook at my hatches and see what I can figure out.  I know for sure that the big hatch in the main salon the gasket does not close up.  There is an obvious 1/2 “ gap.  I have taken a piece of window seal and cut to fit and “glued” it in…but not working right.  So was thinking about replacing the whole gasket…and do several others while I was at it.  Don’t have time (or the motivation) to do a full re-bed project at this time.

Cheers,

Jim

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stefan Damstrom
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 10:02 AM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io

Jim I have them on order from my local supply (Fisheries in Seattle). Special order and expected to take a few weeks to get.  

Are you planning to re-bed the portlight frames? I figured I would since it’s been 20 years.  
--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA

Tom Weaver

I assumed my forward hatch was bad since I had large gaps on either side.  It looked as if it was warped.   I ordered a new hatch.   

Upon removing the old hatch, I found the butyl tape to be the culprit.  Butyl tape never hardens and always remains in a semi-solid/liquid state   Over the years the butyl tape had oozed downhill.  The butyl tape at the aft/top edge had oozed down into the trim frame and water seeped in from the aft/top edge.   The butyl tape on the sides had run downhill.  Prior owners had tightened the screws on the frame, there was very little butyl tape left under the sides of the hatch frame and the frame had bowed downward in the middle of the sides causing a gap big enough to let water in.  Upon removing the old hatch, the frame sprang back into its original flat shape and the gap was gone.  Since the replacement hatch was non-returnable, I installed the new hatch using 3M 4000.  No leaks. I have every confidence the old hatch could have been reinstalled and the warp would have been gone.   

Butyl tape failure was also the cause of several leaks around my port lights.  

I highly recommend removing and reseating your main hatch.   The warp gap you describe sounds exactly like the warp I had.  The reseating process only takes about 90 minutes.  If you have water in your hatch trim, it could also be a sign of butyl tape failure.  

Tom Weaver

~~/)~~

On Jan 20, 2021, at 9:08 PM, Jim King via groups.io <c130king@...> wrote:

I was not planning on doing a re-bed at this time.  Seems to me as if the leaks are around the gaskets.  Need to relook at my hatches and see what I can figure out.  I know for sure that the big hatch in the main salon the gasket does not close up.  There is an obvious 1/2 “ gap.  I have taken a piece of window seal and cut to fit and “glued” it in…but not working right.  So was thinking about replacing the whole gasket…and do several others while I was at it.  Don’t have time (or the motivation) to do a full re-bed project at this time.

Cheers,

Jim

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stefan Damstrom
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 10:02 AM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io

--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA