Removing the top Step leading from Cockpit down to Galley on Catalina 400

steve@...

--
Sol Salado

I have a Catalina 400 and am refinishing the wood stars leading from the cockpit down to the galley and are having trouble removing the top step which is independent from the other stairs .
I have removed the washers and nuts inside the aft cabin that should free it but it still won't budge.
I also need to remove the step so I can refinish the wood behind the step so this is really holding my re-finishing up.

Is there something I'm missing to remove the top
step?

I would appreciate any insight ?

Steve

Lee Gerig

Hi Steve
We removed our stairs last year, but they are fibreglass with s vinyl tread.  To remove the top tread we had to remove the vinyl.  I didn’t realize that some of the 400s have wood treads.

Lee
S/V Keelingtime #262

On Jul 16, 2020, at 4:59 PM, steve@... wrote:

--
Sol Salado

I have a Catalina 400 and am refinishing the wood stars leading from the cockpit down to the galley and are having trouble removing the top step which is independent from the other stairs .
I have removed the washers and nuts inside the aft cabin that should free it but it still won't budge.
I also need to remove the step so I can refinish the wood behind the step so this is really holding my re-finishing up.

Is there something I'm missing to remove the top
step?

I would appreciate any insight ?

Steve

Alan Johnson

I have vinyl treads a Mk1 #130. It has vertical screws under the vinyl

Alan J

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020, 8:17 PM Lee Gerig <keelingtime1@...> wrote:
[...]

thankyou that does solve my mystery.

i bought my boat used. It dose have the vinyl stars however a previous owner epoxied wood staircase on top of them. It actually looks pretty good if I can refinish the wood.
I can send a photo once I get a couple treads refinished.

thanks for your help

steve

nick walker

Hi all.

I took my top step out yesterday to refinish all the woodwork around the companionway.  It was a bit frustrating as I recently replaced all the vinyl treads and it was a pain to remove the vinyl to get at the screws.  There are TWELVE screws securing that top step including the 2 that go into the stainless support bracket.  I guess Catalina really didn't want it to move...

Cheers,
Nick
Divided Sky.

i bought my boat used. It dose have the vinyl stars however a previous owner epoxied wood staircase on top of them. It actually looks pretty good if I can refinish the wood.
I can send a photo once I get a couple treads refinished.

thanks for your help

steve

Paul Larter

Hi Nick, The steps on Naia are looking a bit tired, with what vinyl did you replace yours? Could you send a picture please.
    Many thanks
        Paul
    C400 Naia Sydney

Doug Burr

I thought the inset treads were cork?
Doug Burr # 104

On Jul 19, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Paul Larter <larterfamily@...> wrote:

Hi Nick, The steps on Naia are looking a bit tired, with what vinyl did you replace yours? Could you send a picture please.
    Many thanks
        Paul
    C400 Naia Sydney

Alan Johnson

I used a teak and holly vinyl product. It was written up on The Mainsheet. It os good looking.
Alan. Slol #130

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020, 7:23 PM Doug Burr <dougburr@...> wrote:
I thought the inset treads were cork?
Doug Burr # 104

On Jul 19, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Paul Larter <larterfamily@...> wrote:

Hi Nick, The steps on Naia are looking a bit tired, with what vinyl did you replace yours? Could you send a picture please.
    Many thanks
        Paul
    C400 Naia Sydney

Lee Gerig

Hi Nick

We replaced ours last year.  It was a tricky job cutting the new vinyl to exactly the right shape but it all worked out.  I can’t remember the name of the vinyl we purchased, but I have sent a request to our chandlery for the name of the product and will forward it to you.  It was quite expensive but was a perfect replacement.  We will be back at the boat on Wednesday and can send you pics then if you still want them.

Cheers

Lee and Carole

S/V Keelingtime  #262

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Larter <larterfamily@...>
Date: Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 7:21 PM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>

Hi Nick, The steps on Naia are looking a bit tired, with what vinyl did you replace yours? Could you send a picture please.

    Many thanks

        Paul

    C400 Naia Sydney

nick walker

Hi Paul,

I used some light grey self-adhesive vinyl from Whitworths (see pictures)  which lightened up and modernised the companionway somewhat. It is slightly cushioned and good non slip. https://www.whitworths.com.au/ultralon-decktread-octi-light-grey-1000x900mm

Kind regards,
Nick.

Hi Nick, The steps on Naia are looking a bit tired, with what vinyl did you replace yours? Could you send a picture please.
    Many thanks
        Paul
    C400 Naia Sydney

nick walker

Hi Lee,

I have redone all the steps and galley flooring already but had to remove the top step after the fact to do the sanding.  Luckily I have a fair bit of the vinyl left over as it was stuck like there was no tomorrow and cannot be reused.   Thanks for the offer though.  I have posted some pictures of the steps and flooring in my reply to Paul.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Larter <larterfamily@...>
Date: Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 7:21 PM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>

Hi Nick, The steps on Naia are looking a bit tired, with what vinyl did you replace yours? Could you send a picture please.

    Many thanks

        Paul

    C400 Naia Sydney

Paul Larter

Hi Nick, Many thanks for the pics and info, that looks really well done, especially with the cabin sole to match.
    I can feel a Covid lockdown job coming on!
        Kind regards
            Paul