Raw water impeller install

michael hogan

Hi
I could use your help. I removed the raw water impeller and can’t get to pull any water from the intake. I don’t know if I installed the impeller backwards or something else is going on.
This is on a westerbeke 42b with the new impeller. Does anyone have a picture of an installed impeller?  I have the input from the strainer going to the bottom fitting and the input to the heat exchanger coming from the top of the unit.

If there a way to install the unit backwards?  I don’t see any indicator for input or output on the unit

Any input would be appreciated.

Mike

--
Mike Hogan
Fair winds

Tom Sokoloski

Mike,
I don't have the Westerbeke, but most water pumps work the same way. If you take the face plate off the water pump, and briefly open up the thru hull, water should flow out of the pump. If it doesn't, you have a blockage in the thru hull or the hose between the thru hull and pump. Also, it doesn't matter which way the impeller vanes point when they are installed. Within one revolution they get aligned properly. Sorry I can't help you with which hose gets connected where, but if I had to guess, the intake hose is on the bottom, and the output hose is on top. Hope this helps.

michael hogan

Hi Tom
Thanks for your thoughts. The westerbeke at least mine has the strainer above the water line. But I did check lol the lines.  And I did find part of a fine in one of the elbows. That fin had broken off some time ago and had not till now caused a problem. I happened to have a new raw water pump and after taking disconcerting the old obe several times I finally just installed the new one.

Can’t say why that caused the thing to work but it did. Maybe someone else might have an idea as to what is going on but I don’t have a clue. But for now it’s working

Mike