Outhaul rigging

Kim Chapman

Does anyone have a picture of how our outhaul on a conventional rig is set up? I had someone living in my boom and they chewed stuff up pretty bad. The reefing lines are good but I lost the aft end of the outhaul.

Thanks

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence

4speedfunk

Oh yeah.  That’s a fun job.  I had a bird living in my boom for a year before I bought it…crammed full of feathers and poop!  I had to stick a pressure washer wand into the boom from the forward end, and blow all bird nest out the aft end.

There is a sliding snatch block inside the boom for the outhaul.  I was able to replace my line by pulling a tracer line.  It really needs disassembled and lubricated but, that involves drilling out rivets to gain access.  It works but, its janky and requires lots of effort to get the foot completely tight.

Craig Howard

I think the snatch block setup was one of the things that was changed during the lifetime of the C400.  I don't *think* I've got one, and I'm hull 244.  I just left the boat, so can't double check right now, sorry.

Craig

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 3:22 PM 4speedfunk <wilsonmech@...> wrote:

Oh yeah.  That’s a fun job.  I had a bird living in my boom for a year before I bought it…crammed full of feathers and poop!  I had to stick a pressure washer wand into the boom from the forward end, and blow all bird nest out the aft end.

There is a sliding snatch block inside the boom for the outhaul.  I was able to replace my line by pulling a tracer line.  It really needs disassembled and lubricated but, that involves drilling out rivets to gain access.  It works but, its janky and requires lots of effort to get the foot completely tight.

4speedfunk

Yes, I forgot to mention…I’m hull #096 (1997 MkI).  It’s a Z-Spar boom with a traditional mainsail.  Keel stepped.  I do have some pics but, I am not near my hard drive.

This rig also has the equally janky “Jiffy Reef” system.  Job one in April is to re-do the reefs with old-school rams-horn hooks and convert to reef lines to only tension the clue.

Larry Hurst

I changed "Waypoint" to a single line without the double block. Last year , I added a block to the clew to double the purchase for easier trimming. The outhaul comes out of the boom, around the turning block, through the new block on the clew, and back to  tie to the end of the boom.

Larry & Barb Hurst
"WAYPOINT, C-400-2, #157, 1999