NextGen Generator Install

Jeff Bird

I went back and forth for years about whether I wanted to bother installing a new generator on my Catalina 400 Mark I (#53), "Priorities." There's plenty of reasons for and against having a diesel generator, especially with the Honda portable gas generator on the market.

This past winter I bit the bullet and installed a NextGen UCM1-3.5 in the port lazarette after removing the port propane storage area. After a short season of testing it, I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

I wrote about the project in my blog. It's a long, complicated install, so the blog post is pretty long, too:

https://mysailingfix.com/2021/12/10/nextgen-generator-install/

Now I just need some time off from work for a long trip to the North Channel of Lake Huron next summer to continue, uh, "testing" it!

--
Jeff Bird
S/V Priorities C400 #53

Tim Francis

Thanks for this post. Once I have more play money, I want to go this direction.

On Dec 10, 2021, at 1:25 PM, Jeff Bird <boilerfan737@...> wrote:

I went back and forth for years about whether I wanted to bother installing a new generator on my Catalina 400 Mark I (#53), "Priorities." There's plenty of reasons for and against having a diesel generator, especially with the Honda portable gas generator on the market.

This past winter I bit the bullet and installed a NextGen UCM1-3.5 in the port lazarette after removing the port propane storage area. After a short season of testing it, I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

I wrote about the project in my blog. It's a long, complicated install, so the blog post is pretty long, too:

https://mysailingfix.com/2021/12/10/nextgen-generator-install/

Now I just need some time off from work for a long trip to the North Channel of Lake Huron next summer to continue, uh, "testing" it!

<Gen Complete.jpg>

--
Jeff Bird
S/V Priorities C400 #53

nick walker

Very interesting and thorough article.  Thanks for sharing Jeff.

Cheers,
Nick

Divided Sky - #232
Fremantle, Western Australia.