Motor mount replacement

Kim Chapman

I think my starboard/aft motor mount needs replacing. It's very close to bottoming out on the forward arm. I did a shaft alignment today and that corner needed to come up a tad. Questions:
Any tips for supporting the engine?
2500 hours on the engine....should I change all four mounts?
The two port mounts are marked 200 and the starboard ones are 150. Are they different sizes because of the mostly forward-induced torque?
Go with OEM or after market?

Thanks...

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence

Lee Gerig

Hi Kim

I replaced my two aft motor mounts 2 years ago.  On the advice of my mechanic I went with OEM (not cheap!).  He inspected the front mounts and didn’t think they needed replacement.  I am not sure how he supported the engine when changing the mounts, but I kn ow it didn’t take him long, because the bill wasn’t very large (except for the mounts themselves).  I wish I could b eof more help.

Cheers

Lee

S/V Keelingtime #262

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...>
Date: Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM
To: C400 Forum C400 Forum <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Motor mount replacement

I think my starboard/aft motor mount needs replacing. It's very close to bottoming out on the forward arm. I did a shaft alignment today and that corner needed to come up a tad. Questions:

Any tips for supporting the engine?

2500 hours on the engine....should I change all four mounts?

The two port mounts are marked 200 and the starboard ones are 150. Are they different sizes because of the mostly forward-induced torque?

Go with OEM or after market?

Thanks...

Kim Chapman

C400 #249

Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Kim Chapman

Lee, for clarity, was port mount a 200 and the starboard mount a 150?

Kim

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...>
Date: Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM
To: C400 Forum C400 Forum <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

I think my starboard/aft motor mount needs replacing. It's very close to bottoming out on the forward arm. I did a shaft alignment today and that corner needed to come up a tad. Questions:

Any tips for supporting the engine?

2500 hours on the engine....should I change all four mounts?

The two port mounts are marked 200 and the starboard ones are 150. Are they different sizes because of the mostly forward-induced torque?

Go with OEM or after market?

Thanks...

Kim Chapman

C400 #249

Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Lee Gerig

Hi Kim

I’m not sure. My mechanic ordered the mounts from the Yanmar dealer. I will be going to the boat next week to remove snow from the winter cover and I could look then if you like. Where on the mount would I find those numbers?
Lee

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...>
Date: Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM
To: C400 Forum C400 Forum <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

I think my starboard/aft motor mount needs replacing. It's very close to bottoming out on the forward arm. I did a shaft alignment today and that corner needed to come up a tad. Questions:

Any tips for supporting the engine?

2500 hours on the engine....should I change all four mounts?

The two port mounts are marked 200 and the starboard ones are 150. Are they different sizes because of the mostly forward-induced torque?

Go with OEM or after market?

Thanks...

Kim Chapman

C400 #249

Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Lee Gerig

Actually, I will try to contact my mechanic and ask him. If I get an answer I will forward it on to you.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...>
Date: Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM
To: C400 Forum C400 Forum <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

I think my starboard/aft motor mount needs replacing. It's very close to bottoming out on the forward arm. I did a shaft alignment today and that corner needed to come up a tad. Questions:

Any tips for supporting the engine?

2500 hours on the engine....should I change all four mounts?

The two port mounts are marked 200 and the starboard ones are 150. Are they different sizes because of the mostly forward-induced torque?

Go with OEM or after market?

Thanks...

Kim Chapman

C400 #249

Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Kim Chapman

The numbers are on the rubber sides in big, easy to read, numbers. Thanks...

Kim

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...>
Date: Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM
To: C400 Forum C400 Forum <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

[...]

My mechanic got back to me.  Yes, they are rated differently port to starboard and in some cases also from front to back.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Lee’

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...>
Date: Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM
To: C400 Forum C400 Forum <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

I think my starboard/aft motor mount needs replacing. It's very close to bottoming out on the forward arm. I did a shaft alignment today and that corner needed to come up a tad. Questions:

Any tips for supporting the engine?

2500 hours on the engine....should I change all four mounts?

The two port mounts are marked 200 and the starboard ones are 150. Are they different sizes because of the mostly forward-induced torque?

Go with OEM or after market?

Thanks...

Kim Chapman

C400 #249

Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Jim Ebmeyer

Hi Kim:

I replaced the 4 engine mounts on our boat several years ago.  As I recall, the replacements were slightly different than the originals, but went into place OK.  The engine was slightly aft, forward, higher (can't recall which), but it just meant a slight movement of the prop shaft fore/aft.  This required a slight change in the shaft seal location of the prop shaft.

Jim Ebmeyer
Formerly Tranquility II, hull14