Does anyone with a MKII have photos of the underside of the cockpit after the pan/headliner in the aft stateroom has been dropped?  I am looking for how accessible the steering gear and center table electronics are from the underside.
Thank you,
Bryan Benson

Ken

I don't have pictures but once the headliner is dropped everything is very accessible.  Wiring is led from the lazarette.

KTMsailor

I have my head liner down and and took some photos of the underside.
The steering gear is fairly accessible and the wiring to the center table is doable, but there about 8" horizontally that you have to squeeze between the ceiling and the cockpit floor above.
I'll try to attach the photos.
--
Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape

Bryan Benson

These pictures are great!  Thank you!  I ran a new NMEA backbone through the boat and to the center console yesterday and had an epiphany about the headliner today.  Would have saved me bunch of battle scars & curse words!

This will definitely help in the next step of replacing the old cable clips that keep the electric cables off the steering cables.
Thanks,
Bryan

Lee Gerig

Hi All

This is an interesting topic.  How difficult is it to remove the head liner from the aft cabin?

Cheers

Lee

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Bryan Benson <bryan.benson@...>
Date: Monday, June 7, 2021 at 4:43 PM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [C400] MKII aft stateroom headliner removal pictures

These pictures are great!  Thank you!  I ran a new NMEA backbone through the boat and to the center console yesterday and had an epiphany about the headliner today.  Would have saved me bunch of battle scars & curse words!

This will definitely help in the next step of replacing the old cable clips that keep the electric cables off the steering cables.
Thanks,
Bryan

Lee Gerig

Hi Mark

Great Pics.  Thanks.  This will be helpful

Cheers

Lee

S/V Keelingtime  #262

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of <mwilkinson@...>
Date: Monday, June 7, 2021 at 4:30 PM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>

I have my head liner down and and took some photos of the underside.
The steering gear is fairly accessible and the wiring to the center table is doable, but there about 8" horizontally that you have to squeeze between the ceiling and the cockpit floor above.
I'll try to attach the photos.
--
Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape
400 MK II- Hull # 312

Tom Sokoloski

Lee,
It is very easy to remove the headliner from the aft cabin. I have done it by myself, but it is easier with a helper, just due to its size. The headliner itself is very light (only about 1/8" thick), but due to its size is awkward. It is attached by a whole bunch of screws, under decorative caps, nothing more. Hope this helps.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Bryan Benson <bryan.benson@...>
Date: Monday, June 7, 2021 at 4:43 PM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>

These pictures are great!  Thank you!  I ran a new NMEA backbone through the boat and to the center console yesterday and had an epiphany about the headliner today.  Would have saved me bunch of battle scars & curse words!

This will definitely help in the next step of replacing the old cable clips that keep the electric cables off the steering cables.
Thanks,
Bryan

Scotty <correa-mickel@...>

While you have the headliner out (I agree with Tom, it's pretty easy to do.  Two people make it easier!) check the turning blocks for the steering cables.  I found the the wood piece they are mounted on is fiberglassed to the cockpit sole.  The glassing on that piece was minimal, small tabs of fiberglass, and partly lifting off!  I ground them down to clean surface, and reglassed them with long strips of (unidirectional) fiberglass.  They are really strong now.  I have a friend who had a similar situation.  I'd be interested if anyone else has this problem.