Lewmar Hatch Complete Replace or just Seals


Diana Adamowitz
 

Looking for some advice as I am sure many of you have had these hatch leaking issues.  

Finally figured out where some pesky leaks were originating and it seems that some of my Lewmar Hatches are leaking.    Trying to determine if I change out the entire unit or would just changing out the seals would solve the problem.  Definitely a budget saver to just change the seals out and imagine saving a lot of time and work.   Also, are our the Lewmar Hatch Low Profile or Medium.  

Thanks for your feedback and input :) 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey 


michael hogan
 

All I can say is I ordered the seals and although I’m sure it is an operator error I could never get them to fit properly I just gave up and ordered replacement hatches.

Hopefully some has had better luck and an provide detailed instructions on what to do

Mike

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 2:42 PM Diana Adamowitz <dladamowitz@...> wrote:
Looking for some advice as I am sure many of you have had these hatch leaking issues.  

Finally figured out where some pesky leaks were originating and it seems that some of my Lewmar Hatches are leaking.    Trying to determine if I change out the entire unit or would just changing out the seals would solve the problem.  Definitely a budget saver to just change the seals out and imagine saving a lot of time and work.   Also, are our the Lewmar Hatch Low Profile or Medium.  

Thanks for your feedback and input :) 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey 

--
Mike Hogan
Fair winds


orion320@sbcglobal.net
 

Seals are easy to replace.  Just take your time and don't force anything.  Start by getting a good penetrating oil on the hardware.  I have used PB Blaster and/or Silkroil.  Keep applying that every day or so for a couple of weeks before you try to take the stuff apart.  It goes a lot easier   Better living through chemistry!

You will need to peel back the seal on the hatch and get the part number that is etched into the lens.  It is way back there.  It took me a few attempts to find it, but it is there.  With that information, you can get the right lens and/or seal.  I think the seal is the same for low and high profile but I am not positive.  Mine are LP.

It will be time consuming but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the entire hatch.

Good Luck,

Steve Indrelunas
S/V Independence
San Francisco, CA
C-400 #284

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 02:24:23 PM CST, michael hogan <michael.ben.hogan@...> wrote:


All I can say is I ordered the seals and although I’m sure it is an operator error I could never get them to fit properly I just gave up and ordered replacement hatches.

Hopefully some has had better luck and an provide detailed instructions on what to do

Mike

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 2:42 PM Diana Adamowitz <dladamowitz@...> wrote:
Looking for some advice as I am sure many of you have had these hatch leaking issues.  

Finally figured out where some pesky leaks were originating and it seems that some of my Lewmar Hatches are leaking.    Trying to determine if I change out the entire unit or would just changing out the seals would solve the problem.  Definitely a budget saver to just change the seals out and imagine saving a lot of time and work.   Also, are our the Lewmar Hatch Low Profile or Medium.  

Thanks for your feedback and input :) 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey 

--
Mike Hogan
Fair winds


Diana Adamowitz
 

That is exactly why I am on the fence about taking the project on to replace the seals; figure I may just get frustrated and scrap the project as you had. 

When I do figure out which direction I am headed with my project - Will will take pictures and post.  

Everyone here has such great knowledge!  We got our boat a year ago and have been renovating it for the past year.  She is looking quite Yar!  

Thanks ! 

Diana L. Adamowitz


From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of michael hogan <Michael.ben.hogan@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 3:23 PM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [C400] Lewmar Hatch Complete Replace or just Seals
 
All I can say is I ordered the seals and although I’m sure it is an operator error I could never get them to fit properly I just gave up and ordered replacement hatches.

Hopefully some has had better luck and an provide detailed instructions on what to do

Mike

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 2:42 PM Diana Adamowitz <dladamowitz@...> wrote:
Looking for some advice as I am sure many of you have had these hatch leaking issues.  

Finally figured out where some pesky leaks were originating and it seems that some of my Lewmar Hatches are leaking.    Trying to determine if I change out the entire unit or would just changing out the seals would solve the problem.  Definitely a budget saver to just change the seals out and imagine saving a lot of time and work.   Also, are our the Lewmar Hatch Low Profile or Medium.  

Thanks for your feedback and input :) 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey 

--
Mike Hogan
Fair winds


Diana Adamowitz
 

Steve,

All great information and thank you for the tips and tricks on removal.  I am assuming that replacing the seals corrected any leaking issues.  

 In doing some research, they do sell different seals for the Medium and Low Profile Hatches.  Since your hull is not to far off from mine; I may be safe to assume (which may not always be a good thing) that mine are LP also.   #284 - #308/2004

You can definitely say it is a heck of a lot cheaper replacing the seals.  The project would be $187 (including a hinge)  vs $1200 for 3 units.  I would say ALOT cheaper.

My husband was concerned about the existing butyl tape not being effective after 17 years.  My thought process was just to tape and caulk the joint the base.  It has now become a debate. 

Thanks and all the best - 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey


From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of orion320@... <orion320@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 3:41 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [C400] Lewmar Hatch Complete Replace or just Seals
 
Seals are easy to replace.  Just take your time and don't force anything.  Start by getting a good penetrating oil on the hardware.  I have used PB Blaster and/or Silkroil.  Keep applying that every day or so for a couple of weeks before you try to take the stuff apart.  It goes a lot easier   Better living through chemistry!

You will need to peel back the seal on the hatch and get the part number that is etched into the lens.  It is way back there.  It took me a few attempts to find it, but it is there.  With that information, you can get the right lens and/or seal.  I think the seal is the same for low and high profile but I am not positive.  Mine are LP.

It will be time consuming but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the entire hatch.

Good Luck,

Steve Indrelunas
S/V Independence
San Francisco, CA
C-400 #284

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 02:24:23 PM CST, michael hogan <michael.ben.hogan@...> wrote:


All I can say is I ordered the seals and although I’m sure it is an operator error I could never get them to fit properly I just gave up and ordered replacement hatches.

Hopefully some has had better luck and an provide detailed instructions on what to do

Mike

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 2:42 PM Diana Adamowitz <dladamowitz@...> wrote:
Looking for some advice as I am sure many of you have had these hatch leaking issues.  

Finally figured out where some pesky leaks were originating and it seems that some of my Lewmar Hatches are leaking.    Trying to determine if I change out the entire unit or would just changing out the seals would solve the problem.  Definitely a budget saver to just change the seals out and imagine saving a lot of time and work.   Also, are our the Lewmar Hatch Low Profile or Medium.  

Thanks for your feedback and input :) 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey 

--
Mike Hogan
Fair winds


orion320@sbcglobal.net
 

If you are not leaking around the hatch frame, leave it alone and replace the seals.  Just take your time and don’t force anything.  There is a YouTube video that makes it look like a ten minute job.  It isn’t.  You can do it on the boat but having a good shop at home helps a lot.  Plus you don’t have to worry about anything going overboard.



On Feb 8, 2022, at 4:08 PM, Diana Adamowitz <dladamowitz@...> wrote:


Steve,

All great information and thank you for the tips and tricks on removal.  I am assuming that replacing the seals corrected any leaking issues.  

 In doing some research, they do sell different seals for the Medium and Low Profile Hatches.  Since your hull is not to far off from mine; I may be safe to assume (which may not always be a good thing) that mine are LP also.   #284 - #308/2004

You can definitely say it is a heck of a lot cheaper replacing the seals.  The project would be $187 (including a hinge)  vs $1200 for 3 units.  I would say ALOT cheaper.

My husband was concerned about the existing butyl tape not being effective after 17 years.  My thought process was just to tape and caulk the joint the base.  It has now become a debate. 

Thanks and all the best - 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey


From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of orion320@... <orion320@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 3:41 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [C400] Lewmar Hatch Complete Replace or just Seals
 
Seals are easy to replace.  Just take your time and don't force anything.  Start by getting a good penetrating oil on the hardware.  I have used PB Blaster and/or Silkroil.  Keep applying that every day or so for a couple of weeks before you try to take the stuff apart.  It goes a lot easier   Better living through chemistry!

You will need to peel back the seal on the hatch and get the part number that is etched into the lens.  It is way back there.  It took me a few attempts to find it, but it is there.  With that information, you can get the right lens and/or seal.  I think the seal is the same for low and high profile but I am not positive.  Mine are LP.

It will be time consuming but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the entire hatch.

Good Luck,

Steve Indrelunas
S/V Independence
San Francisco, CA
C-400 #284

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 02:24:23 PM CST, michael hogan <michael.ben.hogan@...> wrote:


All I can say is I ordered the seals and although I’m sure it is an operator error I could never get them to fit properly I just gave up and ordered replacement hatches.

Hopefully some has had better luck and an provide detailed instructions on what to do

Mike

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 2:42 PM Diana Adamowitz <dladamowitz@...> wrote:
Looking for some advice as I am sure many of you have had these hatch leaking issues.  

Finally figured out where some pesky leaks were originating and it seems that some of my Lewmar Hatches are leaking.    Trying to determine if I change out the entire unit or would just changing out the seals would solve the problem.  Definitely a budget saver to just change the seals out and imagine saving a lot of time and work.   Also, are our the Lewmar Hatch Low Profile or Medium.  

Thanks for your feedback and input :) 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey 

--
Mike Hogan
Fair winds


Diana Adamowitz
 

I don't believe they are, however, water is illusive and travels.  The seals are dried out and definitely see the water sitting in the seal lip between the lense and seal.  I think I agree with not pulling it all apart and its budget money that can go to my other projects 🙂   

Thinking of starting this project while my boat is on the hard and wrapped; can bring the lenses home and complete the project at home.  






From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of orion320@... <orion320@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 5:30 PM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [C400] Lewmar Hatch Complete Replace or just Seals
 
If you are not leaking around the hatch frame, leave it alone and replace the seals.  Just take your time and don’t force anything.  There is a YouTube video that makes it look like a ten minute job.  It isn’t.  You can do it on the boat but having a good shop at home helps a lot.  Plus you don’t have to worry about anything going overboard.



On Feb 8, 2022, at 4:08 PM, Diana Adamowitz <dladamowitz@...> wrote:


Steve,

All great information and thank you for the tips and tricks on removal.  I am assuming that replacing the seals corrected any leaking issues.  

 In doing some research, they do sell different seals for the Medium and Low Profile Hatches.  Since your hull is not to far off from mine; I may be safe to assume (which may not always be a good thing) that mine are LP also.   #284 - #308/2004

You can definitely say it is a heck of a lot cheaper replacing the seals.  The project would be $187 (including a hinge)  vs $1200 for 3 units.  I would say ALOT cheaper.

My husband was concerned about the existing butyl tape not being effective after 17 years.  My thought process was just to tape and caulk the joint the base.  It has now become a debate. 

Thanks and all the best - 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey


From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of orion320@... <orion320@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 3:41 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [C400] Lewmar Hatch Complete Replace or just Seals
 
Seals are easy to replace.  Just take your time and don't force anything.  Start by getting a good penetrating oil on the hardware.  I have used PB Blaster and/or Silkroil.  Keep applying that every day or so for a couple of weeks before you try to take the stuff apart.  It goes a lot easier   Better living through chemistry!

You will need to peel back the seal on the hatch and get the part number that is etched into the lens.  It is way back there.  It took me a few attempts to find it, but it is there.  With that information, you can get the right lens and/or seal.  I think the seal is the same for low and high profile but I am not positive.  Mine are LP.

It will be time consuming but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the entire hatch.

Good Luck,

Steve Indrelunas
S/V Independence
San Francisco, CA
C-400 #284

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 02:24:23 PM CST, michael hogan <michael.ben.hogan@...> wrote:


All I can say is I ordered the seals and although I’m sure it is an operator error I could never get them to fit properly I just gave up and ordered replacement hatches.

Hopefully some has had better luck and an provide detailed instructions on what to do

Mike

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 2:42 PM Diana Adamowitz <dladamowitz@...> wrote:
Looking for some advice as I am sure many of you have had these hatch leaking issues.  

Finally figured out where some pesky leaks were originating and it seems that some of my Lewmar Hatches are leaking.    Trying to determine if I change out the entire unit or would just changing out the seals would solve the problem.  Definitely a budget saver to just change the seals out and imagine saving a lot of time and work.   Also, are our the Lewmar Hatch Low Profile or Medium.  

Thanks for your feedback and input :) 

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 MKII - Freedom - #308
New Jersey 

--
Mike Hogan
Fair winds


Tom Sokoloski
 

Diana,
I am definitely not a chauvinist, but in this case I have to side with your hubby. We have #307, so the workmanship might be similar. Over the past few seasons we've noticed several small leaks from the forward hatch. I assumed it was dried out seals, so I bought some food grade silicone in a small tub, cleaned the black seals, and smeared it on. I thought I was so brilliant until Hurricane Henri and then TS Ida hit us while on a summer cruise to Maine in August. We literally had a river flowing thru the hatch. I had to rig a large plastic garbage bag to funnel the flow into the forward bilge, instead of the v-berth mattress.  After the deluge, I had to get serious. I determined that it was not the seals (they were dry!), but it was the (lack of) butyl tape under the aft/upper edge of the frame of the hatch. It was much easier than expected to take out the 6-8 screws holding on the interior trim ring (careful with that - I'm told that replacements are not available), and gently pry it off. The dozen or so large flathead phillips screws holding the hatch in place were also easy to remove. I did not try to take the hatch apart. I removed the frame and hatch in one piece. A few putty knives and wooden wedges, gently prying and lots of prayers and the hatch came off. I was amazed at what I saw. There was essentially NO butyl tape on the upper/aft edge. NO WONDER IT LEAKED!!!!! With a putty knife, acetone, and lots of rags, I was able to remove the remnants of the butyl tape from the deck. I took the hatch back into the cockpit for more serious cleaning. Plastic scrapers, putty knives, rags, acetone, and a heat gun were required to remove all of the butyl tape (on only 3.25 sides) on the hatch frame. Once clean, I applied a nice thick layer of new butyl tape to the underside of the hatch frame (this time on 4 sides), brought it up to the foredeck, and pressed it into place. The screws were tightened about 80% of the way, and I let it settle overnight. Next day I tightened the screws to 90%, and scraped off the excess butyl tape that had oozed out. Next day I fully tightened the screws, scraped off a bit more of the butyl tape that had oozed out, and called it quits. Time for the smoke test. With the Admiral spraying water on the hatch with a hose from all directions, I did not see one drop coming through. Gently reinstalled the trim ring, and declared the project finished. Not sure if the forward hatch on #307 was installed on a Friday afternoon, but it definitely was not installed properly. Now it is. I was very happy to see that with the hatch out, the edges of the balsa core around the hatch were properly sealed with epoxy.  It is sooooo nice to have a dry v-berth again. Hope this helps.

Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT


Jeff Bird
 

There's a hatch seal kit that worked well for me, but note that it ONLY fixes the seal between the hatch lid and frame.

I've also had a leak around the bolts that hold the hinges to the plastic "glass," and have minimized it by tightening them and adjusting hinge tension.

Pretty soon I plan on replacing the whole hatch, though, since all of it is getting pretty old.

The big hatch over the V-berth on older C400s like mine have a "low profile" Lewmar Size 70 hatch. I think the low profile version went out of production sometime around the transition to the C400 Mark II, which I think have the stronger "medium profile" size 70s instead. I'm pretty sure the hull cutout is the same for both.

--
Jeff Bird
S/V Priorities C400 #53
Milwaukee, WI
mysailingfix.com


Andrew Hussey
 

Low profile Vs medium profile hatch Perspex is 8mm Vs 12mm

Regards
Andrew Hussey
andrewhussey@...
+61448408006
,,,,,,,,,/),,,,,,,,

On 11 Feb 2022, at 9:29 am, Jeff Bird <boilerfan737@...> wrote:

There's a hatch seal kit that worked well for me, but note that it ONLY fixes the seal between the hatch lid and frame.

I've also had a leak around the bolts that hold the hinges to the plastic "glass," and have minimized it by tightening them and adjusting hinge tension.

Pretty soon I plan on replacing the whole hatch, though, since all of it is getting pretty old.

The big hatch over the V-berth on older C400s like mine have a "low profile" Lewmar Size 70 hatch. I think the low profile version went out of production sometime around the transition to the C400 Mark II, which I think have the stronger "medium profile" size 70s instead. I'm pretty sure the hull cutout is the same for both.

--
Jeff Bird
S/V Priorities C400 #53
Milwaukee, WI
mysailingfix.com


Diana Adamowitz
 

Tom,

You won my husband over by agreeing to replace the hatches (either fix the seals and re-bed the original hatches) or just replace them with new.  Going to be reviewing this weekend as we are going to hit 55 in NJ this weekend !!  Spring projects are about to begin; now to work on my plan layout/design for HVAC install !! 

Your story really made me pause and re-think the project as your experience sounded quite harrowing and can't say I would want to experience it. 

Chatted with a great guy - Vince at Ahoy Captain.com and recommends only (1) Butyl Tape called Bed-it - I am sure most of you very experienced boat owners AKA Boat Repair Pro may know about, however, wanted to share my new found knowledge. 

Thank you for all your advisement !  Our boats are siblings - I am #308 - a 3 cabin Centerline - Here is a recent picture before she went on the hard for the winter - worked very hard over a 9 month after purchase in 9/2020, updating so may items and especially the look of the boat, but as any boat, still so much more to update.  

Diana Adamowitz 
Catalina 400 MKII - #308
New Jersey 

Our boats are siblings !  Mine is #308 - 3 Cabin Centerline Model - 








Ken
 

Diana, 

The Bed-It brand, sold in the US by Compass Marine is no longer available.  The owner had a serious health event and the site is closed for the moment.  You can buy it from a Canadian source at a premium https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10427|11795&product=55964715&code=BIBT&source=search&eLocation=US

However, quality butyl tape can be sourced from other sellers like McMasterCarr.

Ken


Diana Adamowitz
 

Thanks !! Sorry to hear about the owners health issues - 


On Feb 11, 2022, at 2:01 PM, Ken <kdg_1@...> wrote:

Diana, 

The Bed-It brand, sold in the US by Compass Marine is no longer available.  The owner had a serious health event and the site is closed for the moment.  You can buy it from a Canadian source at a premium https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10427|11795&product=55964715&code=BIBT&source=search&eLocation=US

However, quality butyl tape can be sourced from other sellers like McMasterCarr.

Ken