has anyone removed pedestal covers?

Mike Hogan

Hi
I want to mount some pedestal guards to the forward end of the pedestal.  Both my wife and I have a habit of grabbing the steering wheel as we move forward in the cockpit.  I purchased some used 12" pedestal guards that i would like to cut down a bit and mount on the forward section of the pedestals.  It looks like the best way to gain access to that area would be to remove the part of the pedestal that the compass sits on but I am loath to start taking it apart until I have a clear idea on how it fits together.  I plan to mount some vibration dampening bolts I purchased from Mcmaster/Carr and have some type of bracket that the feet rest on that is above the seat.

so the question is has anyone removed the upper section of the pedestal? if so what are some of the issues that you encountered?  Is that the best approach or is there some better way to gain access to that area?

Regards,
Mike Hogan
S/V Nettie Rose #13

PS: I have all four of my flexible solar panels (100 watts each) installed and they appear to be able to full charge the battery by around 2~3 o'clock.  it is really interesting to see how the charging drops if ONE of the cells is completely shaded though.

Tom Sokoloski

Mike,
Do you mean the binnacle in front of each wheel?  I have removed the binnacle tops (to work on the brake in the steering system), and I have mounted binnacle guards to the front of the binnacles, but thinking back on the project, I honestly can't remember how I fastened the guards. I had Garhauer make binnacle guards to my specs, which included four 1/4-20 studs welded to each of the guards, so each guard was fastened with four nuts and washers, two upper and two lower, into the binnacle.  I know that I fastened the lower studs from below.  I had to remove the large cowling that is above the aft berth (large, unwieldy, but very light), and I had good access to the lower portion of the binnacle.   I've attached a pic.  You might be able to drill through the guards you bought and fasten them in a similar manner with machine screws?  Traditional pedestal guard feet might not work in this situation because of how the seat meets the binnacle.  To get feet to work, you'd need the guards stand off the binnacle by an inch or two, and that would interfere with the cushions (not a big deal), and make them less secure (more of a big deal?).  Not sure this helps or not.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Mike Hogan hogmi01@... [Catalina400] <Catalina400@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Tom,
I did have a question about the studs you had added to the tubing.  Did you have all four studs attach to the lower, non-removable, portion of the pedestal?  doesn't seem like you would want to attach anything to the upper portion.   Just thinking about how I want to position the through bolts.
regardsike

Tom Sokoloski

Yes,
All four studs are bolted thru the lower, non-removable portion of the binnacle.  I've attached a new pic showing where the studs are located on one of the legs.  Same level on the other leg.  If you can blow up the pic, you can just barely make out the polished end of the stud weld.  Garhauer welded the studs to both sides of the tubes (inside and outside/fore and aft?), for greater strength. (they are REALLY smart about things like that!!!).  In the 5-6 years I've had the grab bars, they haven't moved a bit, even with some big dudes crewing in big seas.  Hope this helps.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM, hogmi01@... [Catalina400] <Catalina400@...> wrote:

Hi Tom,

I did have a question about the studs you had added to the tubing.  Did you have all four studs attach to the lower, non-removable, portion of the pedestal?  doesn't seem like you would want to attach anything to the upper portion.   Just thinking about how I want to position the through bolts.
regardsike

scottycm400

Hi Mike.  Yes, the grab rails in front of the wheels make a significant improvement.  I installed mine from the bottom just as Tom describes.  I had my brother help me, two people made it an easy job both in taking out the "pan" on the top of the aft berth, and in installing the rails while I tightened up the nuts on the inside.

A few thoughts:  I had the studs welded onto some used binnacles that I bought , just as you are doing.  the welder cut a hole in both sides of the tube, and welded the stud on both sides.  You can't see the welds, but having the stud welded on two sides makes it a stronger weld.  I also had hime shorten the ends - one leg slightly longer) so that they are a bit off the seat.  I figured it would be easier to keep the seat clean.  The offset was about 3/4" if I remember correctly.  The ends are capped.  I used large bib washes as backing plates, and nylock nuts so that they would not back off.

I assume you've seen the schematic Tom made.  I'll try to paste it here in case you need it.

Scotty

Ben Cage

Quick question about the grab bars.

We are about to order some grab bars for the binnacle.  Mike at Garhauer is offering a backing plate to use instead of just the welded stainless studs.  He mentioned that someone ordered the backing plate in addition to the grab rails ($45 each, totaling $90).   Anyone have any suggestions on whether to get the backing plate or not?  It sounds like the metal studs are holding just fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Jazzy, 306

Matt Perry

I would recommend backing plates. There's a lot of torque on the base. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

--
Matt Perry

Dale Whitley

Please take lots of photos of the installation. This is something I’m considering for the future.

TIA

Dale Whitley

On Jan 28, 2022, at 3:19 PM, Matt Perry <mhperry815@...> wrote:

I would recommend backing plates. There's a lot of torque on the base. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 2:35 PM Ben Cage <benjaminlcage@...> wrote:
Quick question about the grab bars.

We are about to order some grab bars for the binnacle.  Mike at Garhauer is offering a backing plate to use instead of just the welded stainless studs.  He mentioned that someone ordered the backing plate in addition to the grab rails ($45 each, totaling $90).   Anyone have any suggestions on whether to get the backing plate or not?  It sounds like the metal studs are holding just fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Jazzy, 306

--
Matt Perry

Alan Johnson

I installed the grab bars on Skol #130 using the threaded studs and fender washers. I have no complaints and they have been holding fine. Access to the binacle is thru the access plates  to the binacle in the aft cabin.

Alan J Skol #130

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022, 3:19 PM Matt Perry <mhperry815@...> wrote:
I would recommend backing plates. There's a lot of torque on the base. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 2:35 PM Ben Cage <benjaminlcage@...> wrote:
Quick question about the grab bars.

We are about to order some grab bars for the binnacle.  Mike at Garhauer is offering a backing plate to use instead of just the welded stainless studs.  He mentioned that someone ordered the backing plate in addition to the grab rails ($45 each, totaling $90).   Anyone have any suggestions on whether to get the backing plate or not?  It sounds like the metal studs are holding just fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Jazzy, 306

--
Matt Perry

Ron Groth

Ben

You Will love the grab bars installed them six years ago.
It’s a little bit of a pain to get through but you can access them via the plates from underneath in the cabin. I would also take your compass and cover off from the top to help you work on them.
I just caulked them in used large fender washers they’ve been perfectly fine.
I’ve done six 333 mile races Chicago to Mackinac Island and my crew is tugging on those things really hard when healed over hard beating no problems.

Cheers
Ron
Elixir
Hull 37

On Jan 28, 2022, at 3:42 PM, Alan Johnson <alanwilliamjohnson@...> wrote:

[...]

Doug Burr

Yes back plates for sure. I had some custom grab rails made for me with back plates. Rock solid.
Doug Burr # 104 Sequel

On Jan 28, 2022, at 1:35 PM, Ben Cage <benjaminlcage@...> wrote:

Quick question about the grab bars.

We are about to order some grab bars for the binnacle.  Mike at Garhauer is offering a backing plate to use instead of just the welded stainless studs.  He mentioned that someone ordered the backing plate in addition to the grab rails ($45 each, totaling $90).   Anyone have any suggestions on whether to get the backing plate or not?  It sounds like the metal studs are holding just fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Jazzy, 306

Jim King

Does anyone have a contact or website address to see or order these things?

Thanks,

Jim

Yes back plates for sure. I had some custom grab rails made for me with back plates. Rock solid.

Doug Burr # 104 Sequel

On Jan 28, 2022, at 1:35 PM, Ben Cage <benjaminlcage@...> wrote:

Quick question about the grab bars.

We are about to order some grab bars for the binnacle.  Mike at Garhauer is offering a backing plate to use instead of just the welded stainless studs.  He mentioned that someone ordered the backing plate in addition to the grab rails ($45 each, totaling $90).   Anyone have any suggestions on whether to get the backing plate or not?  It sounds like the metal studs are holding just fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Jazzy, 306

Alan Johnson

On Skol #130, I sent measurements to Garhauer and they were custom made.  On my installation with welded studs, I put fender washers on both sides of the binnacle for strength.

Alan J

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 5:23 PM Jim King via groups.io <c130king=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jim,

Garhauer is one company that makes these grab bars for the binnacle.  There is the schematic under the files button on the left that you can see and there's also a picture that Tom Sokoloski posted if you search grab bars in the photos button on the left.  I don't know how to hyperlink or I would put the hyperlink in this message.  Mike is the contact at Garhauer and his number is:  909 985 9993.

Hope this helps.
Ben
Jazzy, 306

Jim King

So you think if I was to call Mike he would know what these are and how to place an order?

Garhauer is one company that makes these grab bars for the binnacle.  There is the schematic under the files button on the left that you can see and there's also a picture that Tom Sokoloski posted if you search grab bars in the photos button on the left.  I don't know how to hyperlink or I would put the hyperlink in this message.  Mike is the contact at Garhauer and his number is:  909 985 9993.

Hope this helps.
Ben
Jazzy, 306

michael hogan

I have the grab rails but not the backing plates. I just used fender washers. Once the they are bolted in I don’t think they are going anywhere.
But your boat you choice
Mike

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 2:35 PM Ben Cage <benjaminlcage@...> wrote:
Quick question about the grab bars.

We are about to order some grab bars for the binnacle.  Mike at Garhauer is offering a backing plate to use instead of just the welded stainless studs.  He mentioned that someone ordered the backing plate in addition to the grab rails ($45 each, totaling $90).   Anyone have any suggestions on whether to get the backing plate or not?  It sounds like the metal studs are holding just fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Jazzy, 306

--
Mike Hogan
Fair winds

Ben Cage

Quick question for those who have these.  Is there a way to mount them and still have the cockpit cushion underneath?  I'm worried that if I install these that the cockpit cushion will not sit properly.  Before Mike builds them, I can still make changes to the design and perhaps make them shorter.

Jim, I just spoke to Mike again today and he seemed to be familiar with exactly what I was ordering-they do make these custom.

Ben

Jim King

Thanks.  Both of my compass covers are broken from people grabbing onto them.  Hand rails would be great right there.

Quick question for those who have these.  Is there a way to mount them and still have the cockpit cushion underneath?  I'm worried that if I install these that the cockpit cushion will not sit properly.  Before Mike builds them, I can still make changes to the design and perhaps make them shorter.

Jim, I just spoke to Mike again today and he seemed to be familiar with exactly what I was ordering-they do make these custom.

Ben

Matt Perry

Had mine custom made. Not that expensive. One of the best upgrades I’ve done.

Yes back plates for sure. I had some custom grab rails made for me with back plates. Rock solid.

Doug Burr # 104 Sequel

On Jan 28, 2022, at 1:35 PM, Ben Cage <benjaminlcage@...> wrote:

Quick question about the grab bars.

We are about to order some grab bars for the binnacle.  Mike at Garhauer is offering a backing plate to use instead of just the welded stainless studs.  He mentioned that someone ordered the backing plate in addition to the grab rails ($45 each, totaling $90).   Anyone have any suggestions on whether to get the backing plate or not?  It sounds like the metal studs are holding just fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Jazzy, 306

--
Matt Perry

Tom Sokoloski

Ben,
I've had the binnacle grab bars in place for about 10 years, subjected to a lot of abuse, and they have been rock solid. The fiberglass binnacles are roughly 3/16-1/4" thick in this area, and plenty sturdy with fender washers, but as Mike said, your boat, your choice. From memory, the installation was completely from below. Take the thin fiberglass pan off the underside of the deck, and you can reach up to install the washers and nuts. A drop or two of sealant on the studs before the install has kept everything dry below. I've had no problem with the seat cushions fitting, but if you are concerned, you could ask for the mounting studs to be placed at 1" and 9" from the bottom, and mount the bars 2-2.5" above the seats, instead of 1" as I did. I've attached the diagram I originally sent to Garhauer, plus a pic of the bars installed. Hope this helps.

On the hard in Glastonbury, CT