Halyard replacement timing?

Dara Sperber

Hello,

We lightly use our c400 during the summers in NJ and am trying to get an idea of how often we should replace the main & genoa halyards. We don't really use the spinnaker halyard but might consider replacing it if we should.

Thanks for your input!

Dara
Golden Daze
C400, Hull 266

Tim Francis

If there’s no obvious signs. Save your money for something else. I abuse my halyards like really bad and I watched my main dwindle to half strength then currently replacing with dyneema

On May 27, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

Hello,

We lightly use our c400 during the summers in NJ and am trying to get an idea of how often we should replace the main & genoa halyards. We don't really use the spinnaker halyard but might consider replacing it if we should.

Thanks for your input!

Dara
Golden Daze
C400, Hull 266

Steve B. Losik <sblmd1@...>

Hi, if you are lightly cruising with dacron sails, you dont need to change anything unless you see wear and tear.
If you have higher tech sails, prob need less stretchy halyards like dyneema or vectran core.

Best of luck.

Steve
203

--
Steve B. Losik, M.D.

NOTICE: The attached email and/or medical report(s) contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received these reports in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is strictly prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have received this email and/or medical reports in error, please destroy all enclosed copies. Thank you.

Dara Sperber

Thank you!
I didn't want to be neglectful. We have the mast down this year for a thorough inspection and wanted to check what you all usually do.

~ Dara
Hull 266

[...]

Thank you Tim.
I'm all in for saving a few bucks!

~ Dara

If there’s no obvious signs. Save your money for something else. I abuse my halyards like really bad and I watched my main dwindle to half strength then currently replacing with dyneema

On May 27, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

Hello,

We lightly use our c400 during the summers in NJ and am trying to get an idea of how often we should replace the main & genoa halyards. We don't really use the spinnaker halyard but might consider replacing it if we should.

Thanks for your input!

Dara
Golden Daze
C400, Hull 266

Tim Francis

Please trust your boat. I’ve put it through the test. It came from Cali to Hawaii and since I’ve had her. She hasn’t presented any problems. Just carried me through my harsh treatment.
The c400 I have is 180 and I coukdnt be more trusting in her. I believe I have the original rigging and mainsail. The channels o cross often here are pretty brutal and I didn’t have time to start easy. Or cross on the light days that are far and few between.

On May 27, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

Thank you Tim.
I'm all in for saving a few bucks!

~ Dara

If there’s no obvious signs. Save your money for something else. I abuse my halyards like really bad and I watched my main dwindle to half strength then currently replacing with dyneema

On May 27, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

Hello,

We lightly use our c400 during the summers in NJ and am trying to get an idea of how often we should replace the main & genoa halyards. We don't really use the spinnaker halyard but might consider replacing it if we should.

Thanks for your input!

Dara
Golden Daze
C400, Hull 266

Dara Sperber

Thank you! We've had Golden Daze since 2003, it's a great boat. Had a C320 before this one.

~ Dara

If there’s no obvious signs. Save your money for something else. I abuse my halyards like really bad and I watched my main dwindle to half strength then currently replacing with dyneema

On May 27, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

Hello,

We lightly use our c400 during the summers in NJ and am trying to get an idea of how often we should replace the main & genoa halyards. We don't really use the spinnaker halyard but might consider replacing it if we should.

Thanks for your input!

Dara
Golden Daze
C400, Hull 266

Tim Francis

Awesome. Any major issues with c400  worth writing down?

On May 28, 2021, at 2:22 AM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

Thank you! We've had Golden Daze since 2003, it's a great boat. Had a C320 before this one.

~ Dara

If there’s no obvious signs. Save your money for something else. I abuse my halyards like really bad and I watched my main dwindle to half strength then currently replacing with dyneema

On May 27, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

Hello,

We lightly use our c400 during the summers in NJ and am trying to get an idea of how often we should replace the main & genoa halyards. We don't really use the spinnaker halyard but might consider replacing it if we should.

Thanks for your input!

Dara
Golden Daze
C400, Hull 266

Dara Sperber

Nothing to report, it's been smooth sailing!

~ Dara

If there’s no obvious signs. Save your money for something else. I abuse my halyards like really bad and I watched my main dwindle to half strength then currently replacing with dyneema

On May 27, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

Hello,

We lightly use our c400 during the summers in NJ and am trying to get an idea of how often we should replace the main & genoa halyards. We don't really use the spinnaker halyard but might consider replacing it if we should.

Thanks for your input!

Dara
Golden Daze
C400, Hull 266

4speedfunk

Some people swap their halyards end-for-end, to get more service life out of them.  This will put the worn section of the line in a new position, and fresh un-worn section in critical areas.  I have noticed that the two main parts of the halyards that get abuse, are where they run through the sheaves (at the masthead) and also down at the winches.  The winches and clutches will chew on the lines and make them "fuzzy", so a quick line-flip can get you brand new line for while.  On boats like our C400s that use internal halyards, flipping the lines like this will also help spread UV damage out over the entire line.  After all, there is 55 feet or so of halyard inside the mast that rarely sees the sun, so flipping the line can also help with sun exposure.  You didn't mention if you had a stack-pack or mast furling but, this would certainly have a effect on line wear.  We have a stack pack so our halyards get far more cycles up & down than a mast furled main.

I find flipping the lines is very useful for the jib sheets.  These lines seem to get fuzzy very quickly and a five-minute flip can get me several more seasons out of the jib sheets.  I also alternate the  use of my main sheet (double-ended), so the winch rash is spread evenly on both ends of it.  I have been using New England Sta-Set but, I may upgrade to something else next time...perhaps a hybrid dyneema/polyester line.

4SF

Tim Francis

I’m switching over to dyneema. I’ll do a post on YouTube eventually. I hope it’s worth it. It would be just for how I’m going to change out my reefing.
Sailboat kolea

On May 28, 2021, at 5:40 AM, 4speedfunk <wilsonmech@...> wrote:

[...]

Very good advice. We regularly flip the jib sheets. We have stack-pack so the halyard flipping is a good idea.

Thanks for your input!

~ Dara

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I would love to see your YouTube post 😊

~ Dara

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tim Francis

Here’s one episode or search

Sailboat kolea.

I think I have the halyard mess and going up the mast episode under construction right now.
Larissa has a potty mouth

On May 28, 2021, at 6:04 AM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

I would love to see your YouTube post 😊

~ Dara

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dara Sperber

Thanks for the link!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dara Sperber

Hi Diana,

We sail on Raritan Bay out of Keyport Yacht Club.

You?

Dara
Golden Daze

Diana Adamowitz

Dara,

We considered Raritan but wanted a dock, so in Forked River at Silver Cloud.  We have 2 other 400’s at the Marina - if your ever down on BB look us up -

Diana Adamowitz
Catalina 400 - Freedom #308

On May 28, 2021, at 5:53 PM, Dara Sperber <sperberdj@...> wrote:

 Hi Diana,

We sail on Raritan Bay out of Keyport Yacht Club.

You?

Dara
Golden Daze

Dara Sperber