Fridge Compressor


scott d
 

I have a 1998 Catalina 400 Hull #118 and I'm trying to replace the fridge evaporator and compressor.  The problem I'm having is I can't get the compressor copper wires or the thermostat wire to budge when pulling very hard from both inside the lazeratte and from inside the fridge.  Has anyone else had the problem?  I've torn the boat apart and don't see an access port anywhere.

thanks for any help

scott 
SV Zahir


Allen W.
 

Hi Scott, I have VERY detailed info on this.  I replaced mine a few months ago.

I’m right in the middle of something, but give me a bit to get the specifics to you.


I wish someone had told me the following before my refrigeration guys
started taking everything apart trying to figure out why they weren’t able to pull the new Line Set though.



Quick info:

You’ll need to cut out the bottom ‘angled’ part of the starboard locker.
I’d cut a square leaving 1” / 1-1/2” of the angled part of the locker.
(use this lip to attach a new ‘false bottom’ to the locker after the work.

The 2” PVC conduit is NOT continuous.  At the area where you’ll cut the locker bottom
you’ll find an approximate 14” section of the 2” PVC conduit MISSING (factory built that way).
And you’ll need this access to feed the new refrigeration Line Set to the aft lazarette.


ALSO, the quick-connect Line Set is LONGER than the 12’ one that comes with your evaporator.

You’ll likely need an AC guy to Silver Solder an extension, as well as calculate the extra needed freon.


I also have part numbers for the compressor and evaporator.


- ALLEN

1999 C400 Mk1 #154, San Diego, Ca, USA

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 9:21 AM scott d <Sdachtyl@...> wrote:
I have a 1998 Catalina 400 Hull #118 and I'm trying to replace the fridge evaporator and compressor.  The problem I'm having is I can't get the compressor copper wires or the thermostat wire to budge when pulling very hard from both inside the lazeratte and from inside the fridge.  Has anyone else had the problem?  I've torn the boat apart and don't see an access port anywhere.

thanks for any help

scott 
SV Zahir


Lou Helmuth
 



Lou Helmuth

On Dec 18, 2021, at 2:08 PM, Allen W. <wrenchaw@...> wrote:


Hi Scott, I have VERY detailed info on this.  I replaced mine a few months ago.

I’m right in the middle of something, but give me a bit to get the specifics to you.


I wish someone had told me the following before my refrigeration guys
started taking everything apart trying to figure out why they weren’t able to pull the new Line Set though.



Quick info:

You’ll need to cut out the bottom ‘angled’ part of the starboard locker.
I’d cut a square leaving 1” / 1-1/2” of the angled part of the locker.
(use this lip to attach a new ‘false bottom’ to the locker after the work.

The 2” PVC conduit is NOT continuous.  At the area where you’ll cut the locker bottom
you’ll find an approximate 14” section of the 2” PVC conduit MISSING (factory built that way).
And you’ll need this access to feed the new refrigeration Line Set to the aft lazarette.


ALSO, the quick-connect Line Set is LONGER than the 12’ one that comes with your evaporator.

You’ll likely need an AC guy to Silver Solder an extension, as well as calculate the extra needed freon.


I also have part numbers for the compressor and evaporator.


- ALLEN

1999 C400 Mk1 #154, San Diego, Ca, USA

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 9:21 AM scott d <Sdachtyl@...> wrote:
I have a 1998 Catalina 400 Hull #118 and I'm trying to replace the fridge evaporator and compressor.  The problem I'm having is I can't get the compressor copper wires or the thermostat wire to budge when pulling very hard from both inside the lazeratte and from inside the fridge.  Has anyone else had the problem?  I've torn the boat apart and don't see an access port anywhere.

thanks for any help

scott 
SV Zahir


Doug Burr
 

Hi Scott, the fridge system is a Novakool manufactured in Coquitlam British Columbia. If you contact them they can do everything to the correct length for you and the new model is very efficient (about 3 amps).
Cheers Doug Burr  C400# 104


On Dec 18, 2021, at 9:21 AM, scott d <Sdachtyl@...> wrote:

I have a 1998 Catalina 400 Hull #118 and I'm trying to replace the fridge evaporator and compressor.  The problem I'm having is I can't get the compressor copper wires or the thermostat wire to budge when pulling very hard from both inside the lazeratte and from inside the fridge.  Has anyone else had the problem?  I've torn the boat apart and don't see an access port anywhere.

thanks for any help

scott 
SV Zahir


Tim Francis
 

Larissa hacked my line in the fridge and eventually have to do this too. Thanks for the info 

On Dec 18, 2021, at 9:40 AM, Doug Burr <dougburr@...> wrote:

Hi Scott, the fridge system is a Novakool manufactured in Coquitlam British Columbia. If you contact them they can do everything to the correct length for you and the new model is very efficient (about 3 amps).
Cheers Doug Burr  C400# 104


On Dec 18, 2021, at 9:21 AM, scott d <Sdachtyl@...> wrote:

I have a 1998 Catalina 400 Hull #118 and I'm trying to replace the fridge evaporator and compressor.  The problem I'm having is I can't get the compressor copper wires or the thermostat wire to budge when pulling very hard from both inside the lazeratte and from inside the fridge.  Has anyone else had the problem?  I've torn the boat apart and don't see an access port anywhere.

thanks for any help

scott 
SV Zahir


Paul Larter
 

Hi Scott, The wires run through the same pipe ducting as the copper piping for the refrigerant gasses. When I pulled mine apart, there were sections of foam insulation in the duct, not continuous, just a number of pieces about 400mm long. Maybe these are jamming the wires. Please be aware the duct is not continuous. It is in two parts with a space of around 700mm between them, with the gap being behind the hanging locker in the aft cabin. The two halves of the ducting are not at the same level, with the aft one lower than the forward one from the fridge. I had to remove the floor of the hanging locker to get replacement piping through when I replaced my fridge unit. There is an article on replacing the fridge unit in Mainsheet I put together about a year ago, this may be useful to you. If you can’t get a copy, let me know and I’ll e-mail it to you.
    Good luck
        Paul
    Naia C400  165 Sydney   


scott d
 

Thank you so much for the responses. I now have a plan forward and will take lots of pictures and post my progress. 


Allen W.
 

I took a few photos of the INCORRECT process and sent them to Scott.

It got a bit wordy, so I decided to throw it all into a PDF.


I’m interested in what Paul (165 Sydney) came across
and if it was similar to what I went through.

I also have this as a Word doc, incase anyone would like to correct by bad spelling / descriptions.


- ALLEN

C400 1999 Mk1, #154, Danty Propper, San Diego, Ca





On Dec 18, 2021, at 2:47 PM, Paul Larter <larterfamily@...> wrote:

Hi Scott, The wires run through the same pipe ducting as the copper piping for the refrigerant gasses. When I pulled mine apart, there were sections of foam insulation in the duct, not continuous, just a number of pieces about 400mm long. Maybe these are jamming the wires. Please be aware the duct is not continuous. It is in two parts with a space of around 700mm between them, with the gap being behind the hanging locker in the aft cabin. The two halves of the ducting are not at the same level, with the aft one lower than the forward one from the fridge. I had to remove the floor of the hanging locker to get replacement piping through when I replaced my fridge unit. There is an article on replacing the fridge unit in Mainsheet I put together about a year ago, this may be useful to you. If you can’t get a copy, let me know and I’ll e-mail it to you.
    Good luck
        Paul
    Naia C400  165 Sydney   


Paul Larter
 

Hi All, A couple of people have requested I send them the article I put together for mainsheet magazine on installing a new fridge unit. The article is specific to the eutectic unit I installed to replace the conventional factory fitted one, so there may be a limited amount you can get from it.
Anyway here it is for your interest.
    Regards
        Paul
 
    C400165 Naia Sydney