electric winch install

Mike Hogan

Hi all,
We are considering purchasing a lewmar 40 electric winch and I wanted to see if someone might be able to tell me how they ran the wiring, what size of wire they used and how easy or hard the install was. We are considering replacing the starboard side cabin top winch.  Defender seem to have a pretty good price on that size of winch and we would like to replace the winchrite handheld device that we are currently using.

any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mike Hogan
S/V Nettie Rose #13

syhaafdwqz7tuyk5o42cwo2cs5u3ezbsgpzjn2s7@...

Hi Mike.

My boat came with the winch installed.  It is wired with 2/0 cable - which is pretty think stuff.  The lead starts at a buss bar (positive) located just off of the main house batteries.  It leads to a Lewmar breaker then to a switch.  Both of these are located on the wall of the engine compartment on the port side.  That is just opposite of the door to the head.  The wiring is on the inside of the engine compartment.  The switch handles are all on that passageway (to the aft stateroom) wall.  In the engine compartment, it's a very thght fit, and I put rubber boots around everything.  In the fuiture I also plan to move the water filter aft to get it out of the way of all those electrons.

From the switch, the cable then dives down into the bildge (at the rear of the engine, port side), then crosses over the transmission to the starboard side of the boat.  I hate that they put it that close to engine heat, but it seems to work OK.  Perhaps someday I'll rewire it further aft so that it doesn't get near the tranny.  At any rate, it is still under the floorboards and liner pan.  It then comes up about midway between the engine compartment and the starboard lockers, and goes straight up to the underside of the cabin top.  The wire goes to a bus bar, the controller box, and then to the winch.  All of the wires along the bulkhead and the cabin top are hidden in a nice raceway made of teak.  It's shaped like a rectangular "box"(about 6 feet long), and looks really nice.  The controller and the winch are all covered with a fiberglass (?) shroud painted (or gel coated?) the same color as the lining.  If you're not looking for it, you can't even tell that it is there.

The negative circuit follows down the same raceway as the positive, then dives down into the bilge.  It is engine grounded on the bolts that hold the tranny onto the engine.

I just recently installed electric jib primaries, and feel that the deck-top winch (to use for the halyard?) would be relatively easy.

Rick Currier

Mike,

I developed arthritis in my shoulder and we considered installing an electric winch for our main halyard secondary. We weren’t thrilled about the cost, the wiring, and the intrusion of the winch motor and gearbox into the overhead. My wonderful wife found an item called “The Cranker” (www.thecranker.com). It’s a stainless steel bit machined to fit into the winch handle socket on any sail boat winch. The manufacturer recommends using a Milwaukee 28 volt lithium-ion battery right angle drill with the cranker. The whole package ran us about $350.00 in Juneau, Alaska, where everything costs more. The cranker itself was $35.00.

The drill and cranker can raise our main sail steadily and with plenty of reserve torque. My wife used to be very reluctant to hoist me up the rig. It’s a low effort, stress free operation with the cranker. I feel secure as I’m being hoisted at about fifty feet a minute. I weigh about 175 lbs. The other advantage is that the cranker can be used on all of your winches. Several years ago we installed lines that were too large for our traveler. The lines have too much friction in the multi shieve system. I’m replacing them during fitting out, but the cranker made moving the traveler car an easy operation last summer.

Check out the web site. We think it’s a great alternative to an electric winch. It doesn’t drain your batteries, there is no wiring, and you also have a great spare drill aboard.

Rick Currier
S/V MAJECK #0007

On Apr 10, 2017, at 3:47 AM, Mike Hogan hogmi01@... [Catalina400] <Catalina400@...> wrote:

Hi all,
We are considering purchasing a lewmar 40 electric winch and I wanted to see if someone might be able to tell me how they ran the wiring, what size of wire they used and how easy or hard the install was. We are considering replacing the starboard side cabin top winch.  Defender seem to have a pretty good price on that size of winch and we would like to replace the winchrite handheld device that we are currently using.

any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mike Hogan
S/V Nettie Rose #13

Bret Phillips

Hi Mike,

I didn’t actually run the wires for ours - it was installed when we bought the boat.  But, I can tell you how ours is run (which may be a little different - ours is a Mark II, so I’m not sure if the cabinetry, etc are the same).

The wires are fairly stout - #1 or #0 cables running from the battery switch area up (port side) of the engine compartment, across the inside of the cabinet above the “makeup mirror”, then to the winch itself.  Our boat has a cover that covers the bottom of the winch and meshes relatively well with the surroundings.  If you can wait a few days, I’ll take some pictures of our install when I’m at the boat this weekend.

As for the winch itself - it ROCKS!  When my wife and I bought the boat, we thought “cool - it’s got an electric winch - maybe that’ll be handy”.  Now - I wouldn’t even consider a large boat without one.  It makes raising the mainsail a “push button” event.  Super easy.  Same for raising the Genoa or sending someone aloft in the bosun’s chair.  Makes all the heavy lifting easier.

Bret
S/v JoyRide, #205

Mike Hogan

Bert
The layout is a bit different but if you could get some pics that would be great.  I checked with Catalina and i'll have to use a hole saw to get the mandrel up to the winch but I wasn't sure how to hide the wiring.  I sure the cable size would have to be pretty stout.  I was thinking of some kind of wood trim but getting to see how it was done on another boat would be a great help.
regards,
Mike

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:11 PM, "Bret Phillips bret.joyce.phillips@... [Catalina400]" wrote:

[...]

Jim Ebmeyer

Mike:

I presume you will be installing the winch entirely within the anchor locker, as was the approach for the Mk1 model ?

If not, I suggest you consider that scheme.  I could send some pictures of that arrangement.

Jim Ebmeyer
Tranquility II, Hull #14
Penfield, NY

[...]

I'm confused. I was planning replacing the starboard side winch. It wouldn't seem to make much sense installing it in the anchor locker or am I missing something?

[...]

Woops.  I slipped, and thought you were talking about the anchor winch.

Jim

[...]

As promised, I took some pictures of our winch wiring this weekend.  I’ve uploaded them onto the Catalina400 Yahoo site under the album “Electric Winch Install”.   The more I looked at it, the more I wonder if the install was done at the factory.  Especially given the winch cover (which someone else also mentioned they had).

The photos are roughly in order following the cables up.  The cables (1/0 in size) lead from the breakers by the engine up, through the aft/port end of the engine compartment.  They run up to a breaker that’s next to the “pass through” window.  The cable run up from that, then go through the wall into the trim piece above the makeup counter.  That part of the cable run is covered by a wood “box” that you can see right next to the stairs.  It’s just fit in place by friction - but I couldn’t pull it off without taking the stairs out.  The cables go back through the wall at the top into the cabinet piece above the pass through.

I have NO idea how you’d get wires through that area without taking the whole cabinet apart.  In looking at it, though, you might not have to.  Even though they go there on my boat - there’s no reason they couldn’t run just a bit higher, then run in the channel just under the top most step.  That’s where the wires come out (on my boat) anyway.  (The blue - dotted line shows where they roughly go).  They come out on the starboard side, then go up most of the way where they go through the wall to the winch switch.  The cover fits over all of it and - honestly, you’d never know it was there.  (One other note - due to the curvature of the wall where the winch motor is mounted, the installers had to remove part of the inner liner to fit it.  (You can see that on the picture).

Hope that helps.

Bret
S/v JoyRide, #205

Mike Hogan

Bret
Thanks for the photos. That gives me some ideas on what to do although the cover would be hard to match what they did. At least with a fiber glass panel. I think I might be able to do something wit teak plyweed.  I'll take a closer look when I review the pics on my laptop. Thanks again!

On Saturday, April 15, 2017, 8:41 PM, Bret Phillips bret.joyce.phillips@... [Catalina400] wrote:

[...]

I have a question for you or anyone else that might have an electric winch.  I got the winch and motor install but I noticed that the winch doesn't turn freely manually.  It turns but only with some effort.  I don't know if that is the way it should work and i didn't want to wire it until i checked that out in case I wind up having to disassemble it.  any input would be appreciated.  BTW thanks for the photos of the wiring that helps alot!!
Mike.

[...]

Hmm.  That sounds a little off.  On ours, the effort to winch lines manually is no different than any other winch.  It turns easily either direction (for both speeds) with the handle.  Is it a Lewmar as well?

From what I remember the last time I disassembled and cleaned it - it’s nearly the same as any other winch.  It just has a gear at the bottom that can turn the winch via the motor.

Bret

Mike Hogan

What you describe is the way I thought it should work.  When I reassembled it to mount it I must have assembled incorrectly without the motor mounted under the winch it turns freely but with the motor mounted it feels like I'm turning the motor as well. I'll check with Lewmar and see what they have to say. And yes it is a lewmar

Thanks for the info

On Monday, June 12, 2017, 9:34 PM, Bret Phillips bret.joyce.phillips@... [Catalina400] wrote:

Hmm.  That sounds a little off.  On ours, the effort to winch lines manually is no different than any other winch.  It turns easily either direction (for both speeds) with the handle.  Is it a Lewmar as well?

From what I remember the last time I disassembled and cleaned it - it’s nearly the same as any other winch.  It just has a gear at the bottom that can turn the winch via the motor.

Bret

Mike Hogan

Bret
Just to close this thread out. When I finally got back down to our boat I found that the winch was working as it suppose to. I believe what happened is that the winch handle that I was using was not disengaging the motor but when I used a newer winch handle everything worked as it should. I wired the winch up and we have an electric winch.
Regards
 Mike

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 12:30 AM, Mike Hogan hogmi01@... [Catalina400] <Catalina400@...> wrote:

What you describe is the way I thought it should work.  When I reassembled it to mount it I must have assembled incorrectly without the motor mounted under the winch it turns freely but with the motor mounted it feels like I'm turning the motor as well. I'll check with Lewmar and see what they have to say. And yes it is a lewmar

Thanks for the info
Mike

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, June 12, 2017, 9:34 PM, Bret Phillips bret.joyce.phillips@... [Catalina400] wrote:

Hmm.  That sounds a little off.  On ours, the effort to winch lines manually is no different than any other winch.  It turns easily either direction (for both speeds) with the handle.  Is it a Lewmar as well?

From what I remember the last time I disassembled and cleaned it - it’s nearly the same as any other winch.  It just has a gear at the bottom that can turn the winch via the motor.

Bret

motiondetectors

bret, can you re submit the photos for the electric winch, they are not on that thread, any other new info welcom
mike

Bret

Sure - I don't seem to have them on my phone anymore, but I can take some more.  I'll be at the boat this weekend and will upload some new photos Sunday/Monday.
--
Bret
JoyRide, #205

Bret

I went to upload the photos I took - but found the album they were originally placed in here:  https://catalina400-445.groups.io/g/C400/album?id=128419

For some reason, the GroupsIO website isn't allowing me to add photos to the existing album (and it's not allowing me to create a new album either).  So I guess the existing photos will have to do.  (the ones I took yesterday were essentially the same, just different lighting.)

Hope they help...

--
Bret
JoyRide, #205

Tim Francis

I can help a bit. Po of 180 put an electric winch in and I wired it all up. 5129715343. Text is better if you think I can help.
Aloha

On Aug 15, 2021, at 11:01 AM, Bret <b.a.phillips@...> wrote:

I went to upload the photos I took - but found the album they were originally placed in here:  https://catalina400-445.groups.io/g/C400/album?id=128419

For some reason, the GroupsIO website isn't allowing me to add photos to the existing album (and it's not allowing me to create a new album either).  So I guess the existing photos will have to do.  (the ones I took yesterday were essentially the same, just different lighting.)

Hope they help...

--
Bret
JoyRide, #205
Bellevue, WA

Bret - I have a similar install on my cabin top electric winch. Question for you… I noticed the fiberglass enclosure that you have covering the winch motor.  Where did you source that?

Sean
SV Larimar
C400 #16

Bret

Hi Sean,

Actually I don't know.  The winch was installed on the boat when I got it, so it either came from the previous owner, or possibly from the factory itself.  I suppose you could reach out to Catalina to see if they make/sell them?
--
Bret
JoyRide, #205