SUPER Interested in this. How are you connecting your Low Friction Rings?

And it looks like you’ve switched your reefing lines to being dedicated to your leech reef point cringles.

~ ALLEN
#155, 1999 Mk1, San Diego

4speedfunk

Exactly.  The luff is completely taken out of the equation, and the reef lines do just the aft end of the sail.  For the luff, you need to install some hooks and you must go up to the mast to set or release the sail from the hooks.  But to be completely honest…I had to go up there every time anyway, to untwist or fiddle with the jiffy system, so it is not any different in that respect.  However this new system is instant, and it is so much easier (and safer) than the jammy-reef system the boat came with.

For the luff, I have dog-bones sewn into my main, and these hook perfectly onto the new reef hooks.  These are optional and you may be able to get away with using a standard cringle, or even a dyneema soft shackle.

For the aft end I am using low friction rings.  These were added some time ago by my sail maker, as part of some earlier sail mods I did.  Basically, I raised the boom to clear my Bimini, and had the foot of the main re-cut with a taper.  Because of this, the aft reef cringles were no longer in the correct place, and adding the rings was a quick & easy way to change the reef points (the original cringles are still in the sail but not being used).

Craig Howard

I made an almost identical change.  So much better!  I highly recommend this change.

The only difference is I replaced the gooseneck pin with one with builtin hooks.  This was part FB2-1A from rigrite.  Apparently some C400s need FB3-1A.

Craig
Hull 244