Our companionway slider can slide all the way out into the cockpit. Seems to me that this is neither safe nor normal. Has anyone else run into this problem and. better yet, have a solution?

Thanks,
Chris

Bret

Hi Chris,

There should be a "lip" molded in fiberglass at the back of the companionway.  It should catch at a certain point and not allow the hatch to be pulled all the way out.  If you look at the picture below, you can (sort of) see it at the very bottom of the removed hatch.  It's possible yours is broken, worn, etc so that it won't connect with the stops anymore.  You can remove the hatch cover, then examine the companionway itself to see what's up with it.

--
Bret
JoyRide, #205

Lee Gerig

Hi Chris

I just took a close look at our companion way slider.  The slider itself has a small lip pointing down at the front edge (the edge closest to the bow).  Attached to the front edge of the coach roof at the forward end of the companion way opening is a thin piece of plastic (maybe ¼ to 3/8 of an inch thick), extending athwartships  across the opening.  This is what the lip of the companion catches to prevent it from coming all the way out.  The material looks like starboard, but its hard to tell.  I have attached a picture, which is hard to interpret, but in the photo you can see the hatch cover at the top, the coach roof at the bottom and the thin piece of starboard attached as a stopper on the coach roof.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lee

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of "Christopher S." <cshearly@...>
Date: Monday, May 9, 2022 at 2:21 PM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Companionway slider

Hi,

So happy that our new (to us) C400 has a strong user group of a le and willing mentors to help us through the learning about our boat!

Our companionway slider can slide all the way out into the cockpit. Seems to me that this is neither safe nor normal. Has anyone else run into this problem and. better yet, have a solution?

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher S.

Thanks everyone.

I will have a close look at the slider when I am at the boat next week.

Chris
C400 #299

Christopher S.

Thanks Lee,

Can you tell how the thin piece of plasitic (StarBoard) is attached to the slider? I'm about 5.5 hours from the boat so I'd like to have a reasonable set of repair options with me when I get there.

Thanks again for all the help and support,

Chris
C400 #299
<Name coming soon!>

Lee Gerig

Hi Chris
It is 1/4 inch thick, and extends athwartship almost the full width of the slider.  I can’t tell how wide it is fore aft but i am guessing its a couple of inches. It also looks like the outer edges ( athwartship) have been beveled down to about 3/16. Most likely this was done manually with a file or sandpaper

Cheers
Lee