Changing the forestay

Kim Chapman

So I will be installing this new rigging myself. The shrouds are all straight forward of course however the forestay needs some consideration. If you opt to have the new wire swaged at both ends then the aluminum foil needs a significant disassembly in order to install it. If you opt for only a single swage then I think it's a lot easier to fish the new wire through the foil and then terminate the bitter end with a Sta-Lok. I'm certainly going for the latter. What I'm not sure of is whether to rig it with the swage at the top and the Sta-Lok at the bottom or the other way around.

One way may be easier, the other way may affect longevity.

Thoughts ?

Cheers....

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence

Tom Sokoloski

Kim,
No personal experience, but I have read that some offshore sailors have used swages on the top and Sta-Lok on the bottom. The thought process was that swages cannot be taken apart to inspect, but Sta-loks can. FWIW.

Ken

As Tom said swage at the top and Sta-Lok on the bottom.  The inverted swage at the top makes saltwater entry more difficult as well.

Steve B. Losik

Im not sure you guys will be able to fish the forestay through the aluminum forestay extrusion, it is riveted and will need to be drilled out
and re-riveted. Boris from Argo 234 just did this on his boat. Boris if you see this email, reply.

Steve
203

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 2:53 PM Ken <kdg_1@...> wrote:
As Tom said swage at the top and Sta-Lok on the bottom.  The inverted swage at the top makes saltwater entry more difficult as well.

--
Steve B. Losik, M.D.

NOTICE: The attached email and/or medical report(s) contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received these reports in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is strictly prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have received this email and/or medical reports in error, please destroy all enclosed copies. Thank you.

Matt Perry

I was on an offshore delivery to Antiqua this fall an IP 485 that lost the forestay due to the top Sta-Loc fitting unthreading. Based on that experience, I would be very hesitant to use this product and would lean towards a fully swaged forestay in the future. With that said, if the Sta-Lok was at the base of the forestay, it would have been easier to repair underway. But with roller furling action, and potential binding of the bearings, seems swage is the way to go. Just saying...

Matt Perry
Exuberant

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 2:32 PM Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...> wrote:

[...]

Matt,

Some furlers like Furlex specify using a Sta-Lok at the bottom.  However, they also specify the use of red Loctite.  My preference is Vibra-Tite over red Loctite. Also the use of toggles top and bottom is also recommended.