Catalina 400 - wing keel draft

asltl.sailing@...

Hi, I have been looking at 400s and I cannot figure out what the actual draft is for the wing keel. Sailboatdata says 5’9”, but some postings have 5’0” and someone said there were two version of the wing.  Can anyone tell me what the actual draft is and if there is any way to tell which “version” a boat might have (if it’s in the water – and not grounded J )?

Thanks!

Tom Sokoloski

Aaron,
I have 2006 #307. Wing keel draft is 5', plus or minus 1".

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 9:06 AM Aaron Stein <asltl.sailing@...> wrote:

Hi, I have been looking at 400s and I cannot figure out what the actual draft is for the wing keel. Sailboatdata says 5’9”, but some postings have 5’0” and someone said there were two version of the wing.  Can anyone tell me what the actual draft is and if there is any way to tell which “version” a boat might have (if it’s in the water – and not grounded J )?

Thanks!

Lee Gerig

There are at least two versions of the wing keel.  The early versions were deeper (somewhere between 5’9” and 6’).  Around hull number 300 the keel was shortened to 5’6” to accommodate the shallower waters in the South East.

Lee

S/V Keelingtime  #262

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Aaron Stein <asltl.sailing@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 9:06 AM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Catalina 400 - wing keel draft

Hi, I have been looking at 400s and I cannot figure out what the actual draft is for the wing keel. Sailboatdata says 5’9”, but some postings have 5’0” and someone said there were two version of the wing.  Can anyone tell me what the actual draft is and if there is any way to tell which “version” a boat might have (if it’s in the water – and not grounded J )?

Thanks!

nick walker

Hi,
 We have 2001 MkII, hull 232. Draft is 1.75M or 6'9".
Regards,
Nick.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Aaron Stein <asltl.sailing@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 9:06 AM
To: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>

Hi, I have been looking at 400s and I cannot figure out what the actual draft is for the wing keel. Sailboatdata says 5’9”, but some postings have 5’0” and someone said there were two version of the wing.  Can anyone tell me what the actual draft is and if there is any way to tell which “version” a boat might have (if it’s in the water – and not grounded J )?

Thanks!

Lee Gerig

Hi Nick

Is that a wing keel or a fin keel?