Catalina 375

Hank Lewis <hslewis2@...>

Hi,

We have owned a 2004 C400 MKII with wing keel and self furling main for 6 years on the West Coast, SF Bay Area.

Now day sail with some over night cruising, but no off shore sailing any more.

We need to down size as we are 78 years old this year and want a boat a bit smaller, less mass and weight, less windage, and easier to handle for the two of us to sail.

Previously had an Ericson 38 and miss the tracking and handling of a fin keel.

Have an eye on a 2008 Catalina 375 with in mast furling main, with electric winch, and owners added a self tacking jib.

Research shows that thus model came out in 2008 to replace the C36 and seems to be the precursor to the C385.

Really like the size and comfort of this boat, and hoping it will sail/track better than the C400 and will be easier for us to handle.

One concern is it’s limited production run, which seems odd.

Looking for feedback.

Hank Lewis
C400 #306

nick walker

Hi Hank,

Your assessment of the order of production is correct.  Prior to purchasing our 400 we looked at 375s and then the 385 when that was released.  At that time the Aussie dollar was very strong but by the time we sold our existing boat it had slumped big time and a new 385 was out of reach.  We found a 400 mk II that had just come on the market and bought that and it definitely ticked more boxes for us than the 385 did.  The 375 was quickly superseded by the 385 in mostly cosmetic ways but I believe the hull was also updated hence the change in model name.  Having looked at both first hand, I'd say the 385 is the better boat, as your would expect as it is an updated and improved version of the 375, but that's not to say there's anything wrong with 375. Either model will likely serve you well as would a late model 36 (they are a great boat).

Good luck with your quest for a new boat.

Cheers,
Nick
Divided Sky #232
Fremantle, Western Australia.

[...]

Dave Coogan

I had a C350 MKII which of course had a longer run and a number of refinements. That was over a decade ago and I went up to the 400 after that, but really did like the 350 a lot. Easy to single hand, simple for a couple, very maneuverable…just a little less space.