[EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] C400 Stanchions

Frank Falcone

Hi Kim:

….just wondering about the stainless steel (SS) bolts going into aluminum backing plates. The 2 metals might ‘become one’. You have #249 and I have #247. I’ll try removing the SS bolts from topside  as you did, and see what happens.

Thanks for your response, Kim.

Regards,

Frank,

SILVER EAGLE #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kim Chapman via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 11:19 AM
To: c400 <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] C400 Stanchions

I have removed all of the stanchion bolts, gooped them up with Lanocote (or Tef-Gel), and replaced them. This will hopefully reduce any issues with galvanic corrosion over time. I had no issues, assuming all along that the inboard bolts are going into embedded aluminum plates. The outboard bolts are obviously going into the toe rail.

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

---------- Original Message ----------
Date: July 28, 2020 at 10:49 AM

C400 Colleagues:

Can any of you offer some guidance and/or advice based on experience with REBEDDING C400 deck stanchions? I need to rebed at least 1 stanchion, maybe 2, and I’m wondering if I can complete that entire project from topside. If the stanchions are bolted into backing plates which are molded into the fiberglas deck below the surface of the deck; then, I think it’s possible to do the rebedding without worrying about removing nuts, washers, etc. from below the deck. It’s really hard, almost impossible, to reach the bolts from under the deck.

Any guidance and/or advice would be great!

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Frank

SILVER EAGLE, #247

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Alan Johnson

Experience with toerails. I got exact replacements from Catalina Factory Parts. Always send a picture with a good description. I have gotten port, starboard, foward and aft. All my stanchions (#130 Mk1) have two 1/4" x 20 bolts (went with hex head) and two screws into fiberglass , no alum. plate. I bedded all the bolts and screws with 5200 and tuf gelled the bolts. No leaks and no loose screws
Alan J. S/V Skol #130

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020, 3:02 PM Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

Hi Kim:

….just wondering about the stainless steel (SS) bolts going into aluminum backing plates. The 2 metals might ‘become one’. You have #249 and I have #247. I’ll try removing the SS bolts from topside  as you did, and see what happens.

Regards,

Frank,

SILVER EAGLE #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kim Chapman via groups.io

I have removed all of the stanchion bolts, gooped them up with Lanocote (or Tef-Gel), and replaced them. This will hopefully reduce any issues with galvanic corrosion over time. I had no issues, assuming all along that the inboard bolts are going into embedded aluminum plates. The outboard bolts are obviously going into the toe rail.

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

C400 Colleagues:

Can any of you offer some guidance and/or advice based on experience with REBEDDING C400 deck stanchions? I need to rebed at least 1 stanchion, maybe 2, and I’m wondering if I can complete that entire project from topside. If the stanchions are bolted into backing plates which are molded into the fiberglas deck below the surface of the deck; then, I think it’s possible to do the rebedding without worrying about removing nuts, washers, etc. from below the deck. It’s really hard, almost impossible, to reach the bolts from under the deck.

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Frank

SILVER EAGLE, #247

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

orion320@sbcglobal.net

Following this discussion.  I have 284 and it is getting to be that time to re-bed things.  Thanks for keeping us updated about these little projects.

Steve
S/V Independence
San Francisco, CA
C-400 #284

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 3:32:08 PM CDT, Alan Johnson <alanwilliamjohnson@...> wrote:

Experience with toerails. I got exact replacements from Catalina Factory Parts. Always send a picture with a good description. I have gotten port, starboard, foward and aft. All my stanchions (#130 Mk1) have two 1/4" x 20 bolts (went with hex head) and two screws into fiberglass , no alum. plate. I bedded all the bolts and screws with 5200 and tuf gelled the bolts. No leaks and no loose screws
Alan J. S/V Skol #130

Hi Kim:

Regards,

Frank,

SILVER EAGLE #247

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

C400 Colleagues:

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Frank

SILVER EAGLE, #247

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Frank Falcone

Hi Alan:

....great input. Thanks so much!

Regards,

Frank

SILVER EAGLE, #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Johnson via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 4:31 PM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] C400 Stanchions

Alan J. S/V Skol #130

Hi Kim:

Regards,

Frank,

SILVER EAGLE #247

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

C400 Colleagues:

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Frank

SILVER EAGLE, #247

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249