From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christian Wilson via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:05 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] C400 Stanchions

I also have a bent stanchion (gate stanchion).  I have looked at all of Catalina Direct's stanchion photos and none look like mine.  Mine has an offset in the foot of it, where it straddles the toe-rail and the side deck.

In regards to re-bedding...I have had this stanchion off and I ended up thru drilling the holes and replacing the wood screws.  I used some long 1/4"-20 SS screws with fender washers & nuts on the underside.  I accessed them (very difficult) from the cove lighting recess in the aft cabin.  As always I used "Bed-It" brand butyl tape.

4speedfunk

Exactly.  It was the aft gate stanchion on the port side.

Apparently while I was away, the water level in the bay dropped and the boat sat down into the mud bottom.  It must have leaned over into the finger dock, where the stanchion got "hooked" on the underside of the dock boards.  Then the water came back up, and this one stanchion got caught under the dock boards and bent outward about 4"-5" at the top.  I believe this also compromised the screw holes that attached it.  I was not around when this happened but, this is what I deduced from looking at my boat and at the dock.  Very minor damage.  I tried my best to bend it back but it looks like crap.

The foot has an offset formed into it so it can straddle the deck and the toe-rail extrusion.  The upright is welded at an angle that leans the stanchion inward...maybe 15 degrees or so.  There is a small stainless strap welded to the foot that wraps around the upright to reinforce it where it is welded to the foot.  And being a gate stanchion...it also has a support leg.  I've never had issues with aluminum and stainless as long as you use some sort of tef-gel.

Roger Calvert

Frank,

I have hull number 276 and two bolts are into the aluminum toe rail and two are into the FRP deck.   I haven’t seen any signs of a backing plate.  In my experience they are designed for a soft failure to prevent exiting the deck while giving enough to prevent most impact damage to the individual.  I don’t think I would want stations that wouldn’t give to prevent breaking.  I may put heavy rubber shock cords at the ends of the lifelines to accomplish this without having to bend a stantion.  Course that won’t fix the problem you had or if someone grabs one and pulls themselves up on deck with the top.

Roger

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Was your bent gate stanchion (the one you rebedded) on the port side gate? That’s where mine is. ..very difficult to access from the underside.

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE, #247

I also have a bent stanchion (gate stanchion).  I have looked at all of Catalina Direct's stanchion photos and none look like mine.  Mine has an offset in the foot of it, where it straddles the toe-rail and the side deck.

In regards to re-bedding...I have had this stanchion off and I ended up thru drilling the holes and replacing the wood screws.  I used some long 1/4"-20 SS screws with fender washers & nuts on the underside.  I accessed them (very difficult) from the cove lighting recess in the aft cabin.  As always I used "Bed-It" brand butyl tape.

Frank Falcone

Hi Roger:

OK, thanks so much for your input!

[...]

Thanks so much for your response. WOW! …interesting situation with the water elevation dropping so much then rising and your stanchion getting caught under the dock. Here’s wishing you well!

Based on all of the excellent responses that I’ve received, I’m ready to remove the stanchion from topside only, rebed it using butyl tape and re-install it. I think I need to rebed both of these gate stanchions on the port side.

Thanks so much for your guidance!

Regards,

Frank; SILVER EAGLE, #247