Binnacle Compass

Craig Howard

I've got a large bubble in one of the compasses on my binnacle.  How does one go about fixing that?

Thanks,
Craig

Doug Burr

Craig, you need to take it to a company that repairs compasses which usually also repair other instruments such as survey equipment.
Doug # 104

On Sep 6, 2020, at 1:54 PM, Craig Howard <craig@...> wrote:

I've got a large bubble in one of the compasses on my binnacle.  How does one go about fixing that?

Thanks,
Craig

Andrew Massey

Are these oil or some other non-freeze liquid filled. I have one that was a bubble now dry need to fix or replace also. Where would the fluid go to if it leaked out? See no evidence of any that I can find. If it dropped onto the steering cover on the ceiling of the main cabin wouldn’t it leak somewhere from there?

Pardon my spelling - sent from my iPhone

Alan Johnson

On my prior boat I had a bubble in the globe. I was told to use and I did use ordorless mineral spirits. It was a Ritchie Globemaster. Remove the compass from the mount and on the underside I found a machine screw. Carefully unscrew it keeping the screw hole at the top of the fluid. I used a syringe to fill the void on top of the fluid and by filling it to the top of the threads and moving the compass slightly I eas able to fill the void. Do this a couple of times if necessary. I put some teflon on the threads because I did not trust the o ring. Insert the machine screw and check. Repeat if necessary. If you are squimish about using orderless mineral spirits I believe Ritchie wii sell you a fluid.

Alan J Skol #130

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 6:28 PM Andrew Massey <amassey2@...> wrote:
Are these oil or some other non-freeze liquid filled. I have one that was a bubble now dry need to fix or replace also. Where would the fluid go to if it leaked out? See no evidence of any that I can find. If it dropped onto the steering cover on the ceiling of the main cabin wouldn’t it leak somewhere from there?

Pardon my spelling - sent from my iPhone

Jeff Bird

I had the same problem when I bought "Priorities" ten years ago. You can do it yourself with Richie's Compass Fluid (I think Defender sells it), or have a compass repair shop overhaul your compass.

I chose to have it professionally overhauled... it cost about half of the price of a new compass. I couldn't find a new exact match for the existing compasses on my boat and wanted to have both compasses match. So I sucked it up and paid for the overhaul, where the bearings were worked on and so on also.

I asked the compass guy (Great Lakes Compass in Illinois) how the bubble got there. While there is a diaphragm at the bottom of the globe to account for temperature changes, if it gets too cold (like it sometimes does here in Wisconsin winters) it has to let air in. His suggestion was to remove my compasses during winter storage and keep them at home, which I now do. It only takes a few minutes per compass if you use spade terminals for the light wires, and I haven't noticed much of a compass error from those connectors.

--
Jeff Bird
S/V Priorities C400 #53

Andrew Massey

Anyone know what model this compass is or diameter (not at boat right now). Think I’m going to replace.....

Pardon my spelling - Sent from my iPad

Craig Howard

See attached. Just got mine off and there's an active leak somewhere. Rats. Diameter of the globe is about 4.5"

Craig

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020, 07:14 Andrew Massey <amassey2@...> wrote:
Anyone know what model this compass is or diameter (not at boat right now). Think I’m going to replace.....

Pardon my spelling  - Sent from my iPad

Tom Sokoloski

Andrew,
As it shows on Craig's pic, the model # is Ritchie FN-201.

Andrew Massey

Thanks saw that. Found one new on Amazon for $254. Need it now and I’ll see over the winter on getting the other repaired and use as a spare when the other one goes.

Pardon my spelling - sent from my iPhone

Boris Keselman

If you have bubbles in the compass adding fluid doesn't help.
Call Ritchie Navigation company 781-856-5121 and order diaphragm  NV- 0054 and "O" ring under the glob glass NV -0021 for Navigator Flush compass FN-201.
To replace diaphragm and "O" ring you have to take Ritchie fluid to some vessel unscrew bottom plastic ring which holds diaphragm, replace it along with "O" ring under Globe glass put compass liquid back by syringe and you have another 10 years of good compass. If you need extra compass fluid you can order from them as well.
It takes 20 minutes to fix one compass.

See diagram for FN-201 : https://www.ritchienavigation.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ritchinavigation-servicemanual.pdf

Good luck.
Boris,