Bilge separation

Joe Hanson

I have C400 MKii (year 2000, #164). There is a small collection area aft of the compression post. The area collect water from the forward area and the forward A/C. The area is separated from the “main bilge” area (i.e. where the automatic bilge pump sits) by a stringer. Collected water is not passing through to the main bilge. Is this normal?
There is a keel bolt in the area and aft of the bolt seems to be the logical area for a seep hole, but it seems to blocked. Before I take a drill to “open” this pass through, I thought I would ask the group.

Many thanks,
Cheers
Joe Hanson
SV Impulse

KTMsailor

Joe,
I have a 2005 C400 MkII and there are seep holes in all the bulkheads, abet not quite at the very bottom, so a little water remains.
I believe the bulkheads are sandwich construction, so a hole would have to be big enough to have water tight material on all surfaces to keep water out of the filler.

Thanks
Mark
Great Escape

_________________________________
Mark Wilkinson
Paddock Swimming Pool Company
15120-C Southlawn Lane
Rockville, Maryland 20850
ph. 301-424-0790, ext 250
fx.  301-424-0556
Cell: 301-580-2790
mwilkinson@...

From:        "Joe Hanson" <jlchanson53@...>
To:        "C400@catalina400-445.groups.io" <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Date:        05/26/2022 04:38 PM
Subject:        [C400] Bilge separation
Sent by:        C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io

--
Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape

Matt Perry

On my #174, there is a drain hole through the stringer behind the compression post into the “main” bilge. It’s not very big, maybe 1/2”. Certainly undersized. Suggest running a stout wire fish thru the hole. Good luck.

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 4:38 PM Joe Hanson <jlchanson53@...> wrote:
I have C400 MKii (year 2000, #164).   There is a small collection area aft of the compression post.   The area collect water from the forward area and the forward A/C.    The area is separated from the “main bilge” area (i.e. where the automatic bilge pump sits) by a stringer.    Collected water is not passing through to the main bilge.   Is this normal?
There is a keel bolt in the area and aft of the bolt seems to be the logical area for a seep hole, but it seems to blocked.   Before I take a drill to “open” this pass through, I thought I would ask the group.

Many thanks,
Cheers
Joe Hanson
SV Impulse

--
Matt Perry

Joe Hanson

Thanks to you and KTMsailor.

I am going tp start with the best case scenario that the hole exists but is just plugged up ….. The fall back was always make a new hole – with a wee bit extra work.

Interestingly, the manual bilge pump has a hose into the area.    Was that by design, or prior owners solution --- (

(rhetorical, no response needed)

Cheers,

Joe

Impulse

From:        "Joe Hanson" <jlchanson53@...>
To:        "C400@catalina400-445.groups.io" <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Date:        05/26/2022 04:38 PM
[...]

Stefan Damstrom

These (limber) holes should exist otherwise seepage from the front and back half would have to fill and spillover into the bilge pump area.

There are four total bilges on #190; you'll need to remove the floor board around the Nav table/galley to access.

From:        "Joe Hanson" <jlchanson53@...>
To:        "C400@catalina400-445.groups.io" <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Date:        05/26/2022 04:38 PM
[...]

Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA

4speedfunk

My Mk I (#096) has a keel stepped mast but the same arrangement you all describe…four separate compartments of the main bilge.  The most aft compartment is connected to the others via a molded-in conduit that runs under the motor bilge.  My motor bilge is completely separate and has no pump.  It’s merely a containment area for toxic whatever that might com from the motor/trans.

I use a rat-tail brush (for cleaning refrigerator condensers) to keep the lumber holes clean.  I have a single-stage 750gph main pump for the bilge, and recently installed a 2-stage 1500gph backup pump.  This secondary system is completely independent of the main pump, and it has two float switches along with alarms in the cabin and at the helm.  All bilge pumps are wired ahead of the main panel, and they are hot all the time (cannot be accidentally turned off).  My phone number is posted at the alarm panel in the cockpit, in case a passer-by hears something going off while parked in the slip and I’m many miles away.  Stats say 90% of all sinkings occur in the slip…so that is my reasoning behind the redundant systems and the cockpit alarm.

I also have the manual whale gulper pump and it is plumbed to the forward-most bilge compartment.  Make sure you test yours periodically, as mine was completely useless and dry rotted form sitting.  A simple rebuild kit returned it to like-new.

Photos show the back-up bilge panel, and the finger-pull I installed to quickly yank up the nav desk floor.  There are way too many items under here to have it held down with (12) screws.  I have teak bungs to plug the screw holes, and I will get this done in my free time.

Matt Perry

Do you have a way of securing the floor panel now that the screws have been removed?

Matt #174

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 10:14 AM 4speedfunk <wilsonmech@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes.  Super duper 3M Velcro.  I’m using six 2”x2” Velcro pieces.  Any more and it’s tough to get the floor panel up.

Tom Weaver

Joe, I can drop by and take a look.  I never had a problem with that drainage.

Tom

~~/)~~

From:        "Joe Hanson" <jlchanson53@...>
To:        "C400@catalina400-445.groups.io" <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Date:        05/26/2022 04:38 PM
[...]

No worries.   I “fixed” it.   It seems to me that the hole had a fair amount of epoxy  (or similar) blocking a large portion of the hole.    I suspect in the early days drainage was possible, but after twenty years, it had closed up due to gunk build up.     A bit of poking/ drilling etc… I can now see the light from my endoscope device coming through. … it is still not opened up fully, but the water drains now.

Otherwise, you always welcome to stop by…

Cheers,

Joe