Battery question: (Renogy, China’s, adding a starter battery)

Stefan Damstrom

Has anyone installed Renogy AGMs with success or failure? My Centennials failed after 6.9 years.  As they are deep cycle house batteries I’d also like to add a starter battery.  Is the stock location under the aft berth?  Looks pretty easy per wiring; add negative to others in the battery locker and positive to #1 post in the battery switch.

also curious if the Chinn’s LiPoe batteries with onboard management has been installed by anyone.

thanks!

--
Catalina 400 MKii #190
Bellevue, WA

Bret

Hi Stefan,

I think for a no-maintenance type battery, under the aft bunk would be the norm.  My start battery (and house batteries) are all flooded, so require some periodic water addition.  Not sure if it was the previous owner or the factory, but my start battery is in the small bilge area just to port of the garbage can.  To install the battery, part of the white subfloor had to be removed, but you don't see that once the wood floor is on top of it.  (Honestly - I'm not crazy about this location, but it is relatively easy to get to in order to add water.). It's also close to the EchoCharger mounted under the desk that pulls from the house to keep it topped off.

As for wiring, I changed my cabling a long while back to follow the "MaineSail" approach documented in here:  https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/1-both-2-off-switches-thoughts-musings.137615/  It just required moving some of the battery cables around to get the "1/2/Both/Off + On/Off" approach he talks about.  I'd already changed the alternator output and such prior.

--
Bret
JoyRide, #205

Lee Gerig

Our starting battery is in the aft starboard part of the engine compartment. It’s a tight fit but easy to access by removing the engine covering cabinet in the aft cabin. I am not sure of the size but it looks like a group 24 and is a NorthStar AGM

Cheers
Lee
S/V Keelingtime