Autoprop zerk fitting

Fritz Feiten

Anyone with an AutoProp know what thread size zerk fitting is needed to grease it? Have not been able to raise anyone at AB Marine. I tried 6mm (assuming its metric) and it was to large so perhaps 5mm (or 3/16). I cannot find the one I had…. Thanks!

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

Tom Sokoloski

Fritz,
A number of years ago I bought an adapter from ?AB MArine? which had the correct thread for the autoprop, into which I could screw a "normal" zerk fitting. From memory, the size is a lot smaller than 6mm. It might even be 4mm? It's at home, but I can find it tonight and measure it if you want.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 11:16 AM Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:
Anyone with an AutoProp know what thread size zerk fitting is needed to grease it? Have not been able to raise anyone at AB Marine.  I tried 6mm (assuming its metric) and it was to large so perhaps 5mm (or 3/16).  I cannot find the one I had…. Thanks!

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

sailbrunelle@gmail.com

My MaxProp is 4mm.

    Dan

C400 #106 Brunelle

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 11:16 AM Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:
Anyone with an AutoProp know what thread size zerk fitting is needed to grease it? Have not been able to raise anyone at AB Marine.  I tried 6mm (assuming its metric) and it was to large so perhaps 5mm (or 3/16).  I cannot find the one I had…. Thanks!

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

4speedfunk

Fritz.  I believe it is a 5mm and I bought some for my prop rebuild.  Then I found out I don’t have the greaseable version.

On Jul 7, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Tom Sokoloski <tomsoko@...> wrote:

Fritz,
A number of years ago I bought an adapter from ?AB MArine? which had the correct thread for the autoprop, into which I could screw a "normal" zerk fitting. From memory, the size is a lot smaller than 6mm. It might even be 4mm? It's at home, but I can find it tonight and measure it if you want.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 11:16 AM Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:
Anyone with an AutoProp know what thread size zerk fitting is needed to grease it? Have not been able to raise anyone at AB Marine.  I tried 6mm (assuming its metric) and it was to large so perhaps 5mm (or 3/16).  I cannot find the one I had…. Thanks!

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

Fritz Feiten

Thanks very much. I confirmed that with AB Marine today. The M5 zerks are hard to come by and I hate to spend $50 to ship a $2 part to WA, but it looks like I have no choice.

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

On Jul 7, 2020, at 9:33 AM, Christian Wilson <wilsonmech@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tom, AB Marine says it’s an M5 but there are none to be found in the Puget Sound region.

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

On Jul 7, 2020, at 9:29 AM, Tom Sokoloski <tomsoko@...> wrote:

Fritz,
A number of years ago I bought an adapter from ?AB MArine? which had the correct thread for the autoprop, into which I could screw a "normal" zerk fitting. From memory, the size is a lot smaller than 6mm. It might even be 4mm? It's at home, but I can find it tonight and measure it if you want.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 11:16 AM Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:
Anyone with an AutoProp know what thread size zerk fitting is needed to grease it? Have not been able to raise anyone at AB Marine.  I tried 6mm (assuming its metric) and it was to large so perhaps 5mm (or 3/16).  I cannot find the one I had…. Thanks!

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

4speedfunk

I’m not using the ones I bought.  Price is free.  Shoot me an address.

On Jul 7, 2020, at 4:18 PM, Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Christian, much appreciated, however I bit the bullet and ordered it from AB Marine as I needed by Thursday. Poor planning and tool keeping on my part, but worth the cost to take good care of this really great prop. Hang onto them for the next guy!

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

On Jul 7, 2020, at 1:42 PM, Christian Wilson <wilsonmech@...> wrote:

[...]

Doug Burr

My Daughter just screwed the tube of grease tip into the hole and squeezed the tube to grease it. Anyone tried this? Unfortunately mine is the old style water lubricated one.
Doug Burr #104

On Jul 7, 2020, at 4:15 PM, Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken

[...]

I take my autoprop off each winter to clean it up and grease it. One thing I've found is that the alloy that Bruntons uses is a lot tougher than the typical bronze in props I've worked on. Each year I use a wire brush in a drill to make it shiny again. The steel bristles in the wire brush do NOT make any marks in the alloy. Certain grades of sandpaper do, though. Thought you would want to know when cleaning up yours