Anchor rode: how much chain

Fritz Feiten

I have 100’ of 5/16 G43 chain and 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line that came with the boat. I’ve never liked/trusted the rope/chain splice and I’ve redone it every 3-4 years. This was the year and WOW, the chain next to the rope splice has deteriorated. Not surprising with salt wet rope around it.

That’s prompted me to go to an all chain rode for piece of mind, and the bonus of
a smaller swing radius. I’ll keep the line for “just in case”. Thinking of going with 250’ of chain, which will weigh about 275 pounds, a ~165 pound weight increase in the bow. I took some before and after photos with a 220 pound human standing on the bow and it does change the boat trim but not very much.

For those with all chain rodes, what length do you carry?

Fritz

Fritz Feiten
206-914-6899
fritz.feiten@...

ryck J

I carry 300' of chain and frequently let out 150' to 200' while anchoring in the sea of Cortez for the past 3 years.
Ryck

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020, 8:42 PM Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:
I have 100’ of 5/16 G43 chain and 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line that came with the boat. I’ve never liked/trusted the rope/chain splice and I’ve redone it every 3-4 years. This was the year and WOW, the chain next to the rope splice has deteriorated. Not surprising with salt wet rope around it.

That’s prompted me to go to an all chain rode for piece of mind, and the bonus of
a smaller swing radius.  I’ll keep the line for “just in case”.  Thinking of going with 250’ of chain, which will weigh about 275 pounds, a ~165 pound weight increase in the bow.  I took some before and after photos with a 220 pound human standing on the bow and it does change the boat trim but not very much.

For those with all chain rodes, what length do you carry?

Fritz

> Fritz Feiten
> 206-914-6899
> fritz.feiten@...

Craig Howard

I also switched to all chain and went with 300' for Puget Sound.  I pair this with a nylon bridle that goes back to the docking cleats.

I haven't noticed much of a difference sailing, but during the offseason more water collected on my transom and didn't run off.  So, I agree with the observation of a very slight change to trim.

Craig

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 8:50 PM ryck J <ryckjohnson@...> wrote:
I carry 300' of chain and frequently let out 150' to 200' while anchoring in the sea of Cortez for the past 3 years.
Ryck

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020, 8:42 PM Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:
I have 100’ of 5/16 G43 chain and 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line that came with the boat. I’ve never liked/trusted the rope/chain splice and I’ve redone it every 3-4 years. This was the year and WOW, the chain next to the rope splice has deteriorated. Not surprising with salt wet rope around it.

That’s prompted me to go to an all chain rode for piece of mind, and the bonus of
a smaller swing radius.  I’ll keep the line for “just in case”.  Thinking of going with 250’ of chain, which will weigh about 275 pounds, a ~165 pound weight increase in the bow.  I took some before and after photos with a 220 pound human standing on the bow and it does change the boat trim but not very much.

For those with all chain rodes, what length do you carry?

Fritz

> Fritz Feiten
> 206-914-6899
> fritz.feiten@...

ryck J

I also use a bridle to keep the stress off the windless and minimize any chain noise while anchored..

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020, 8:59 PM Craig Howard <craig@...> wrote:
I also switched to all chain and went with 300' for Puget Sound.  I pair this with a nylon bridle that goes back to the docking cleats.

I haven't noticed much of a difference sailing, but during the offseason more water collected on my transom and didn't run off.  So, I agree with the observation of a very slight change to trim.

Craig

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 8:50 PM ryck J <ryckjohnson@...> wrote:
I carry 300' of chain and frequently let out 150' to 200' while anchoring in the sea of Cortez for the past 3 years.
Ryck

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020, 8:42 PM Fritz Feiten <fritz.feiten@...> wrote:
I have 100’ of 5/16 G43 chain and 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line that came with the boat. I’ve never liked/trusted the rope/chain splice and I’ve redone it every 3-4 years. This was the year and WOW, the chain next to the rope splice has deteriorated. Not surprising with salt wet rope around it.

That’s prompted me to go to an all chain rode for piece of mind, and the bonus of
a smaller swing radius.  I’ll keep the line for “just in case”.  Thinking of going with 250’ of chain, which will weigh about 275 pounds, a ~165 pound weight increase in the bow.  I took some before and after photos with a 220 pound human standing on the bow and it does change the boat trim but not very much.

For those with all chain rodes, what length do you carry?

Fritz

> Fritz Feiten
> 206-914-6899
> fritz.feiten@...

robert belichak

We carry 200 feet of chain and notice no trim issues. Like you, we do not trust the chain/line splice.

200 is very adequate and we have never wished for more. Like Ryck, we are in the he Sea of Cortez and usually let our 150 in most anchorages.

Bob and Meg

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 8:42 PM, Fritz Feiten
<fritz.feiten@...> wrote:
I have 100’ of 5/16 G43 chain and 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line that came with the boat. I’ve never liked/trusted the rope/chain splice and I’ve redone it every 3-4 years. This was the year and WOW, the chain next to the rope splice has deteriorated. Not surprising with salt wet rope around it.

That’s prompted me to go to an all chain rode for piece of mind, and the bonus of
a smaller swing radius.  I’ll keep the line for “just in case”.  Thinking of going with 250’ of chain, which will weigh about 275 pounds, a ~165 pound weight increase in the bow.  I took some before and after photos with a 220 pound human standing on the bow and it does change the boat trim but not very much.

For those with all chain rodes, what length do you carry?

Fritz

> Fritz Feiten
> 206-914-6899

Alan Johnson

On Skol #130 we carry 200', very satisfied

Alan J

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020, 1:27 AM robert belichak <bbel@...> wrote:
We carry 200 feet of chain and notice no trim issues. Like you, we do not trust the chain/line splice.

200 is very adequate and we have never wished for more. Like Ryck, we are in the he Sea of Cortez and usually let our 150 in most anchorages.

Bob and Meg
Circe Hull #27

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 8:42 PM, Fritz Feiten
I have 100’ of 5/16 G43 chain and 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line that came with the boat. I’ve never liked/trusted the rope/chain splice and I’ve redone it every 3-4 years. This was the year and WOW, the chain next to the rope splice has deteriorated. Not surprising with salt wet rope around it.

That’s prompted me to go to an all chain rode for piece of mind, and the bonus of
a smaller swing radius.  I’ll keep the line for “just in case”.  Thinking of going with 250’ of chain, which will weigh about 275 pounds, a ~165 pound weight increase in the bow.  I took some before and after photos with a 220 pound human standing on the bow and it does change the boat trim but not very much.

For those with all chain rodes, what length do you carry?

Fritz

> Fritz Feiten
> 206-914-6899

Bret Phillips

Hi Fritz,

We have 275’ of the 5/16” G4 along with about 100 to 125’ of 3 strand left.  (There’s more chain than I wanted, but the place I bought it gave me a deal so they wouldn’t have to cut it and have a small amount left over). Like Craig said, though, I do notice a little bit of water that doesn’t ever leave the swim step when the boat is in the marina.  Also, 275’ just about fills the bottom part of the chain locker.  When you get most of it in there, sometime the chain fall will “back up” and cause the chain to jump out of the windlass.

In the US PNW, I’ve only once used 200 feet of chain, and that was when we had 3 boats rafted to us.  Some of the Canadian anchorages are deeper, which is why I’ve kept so much chain and rope.  If I had it to do over, 200’ of chain would probably be fine.  (I sleep pretty good with 4-1 scope out).

Bret
#205, JoyRide