Aluminum Toe Rail Stains on Topsides

KTMsailor

Last spring I rubbed out and waxed the topsides and it made quite a difference in the boat's appearance.  This spring, light gray stains start at the openings in the toe rail and streak down the top sides.
I would like to remove the stains and treat the aluminum toe rail to eliminate or reduce the staining before I launch  next week.
Any suggestions on how to clean off the stains and, if possible, treat the toe rail some way?

Thanks
Mark
--
Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape

chic lasser

I had an o day with a perforated toe rail, same problem I had 3/4” by 96” pieces of clear .080 plastic cut and mounted them on the inside of the toe rail with a bit of party tack. I also left a few openings for drainage but not many. Away went the steaks. Good luck. Chic lasser

On Apr 2, 2022, at 7:35 AM, KTMsailor <mwilkinson@...> wrote:

Last spring I rubbed out and waxed the topsides and it made quite a difference in the boat's appearance.  This spring, light gray stains start at the openings in the toe rail and streak down the top sides.
I would like to remove the stains and treat the aluminum toe rail to eliminate or reduce the staining before I launch  next week.
Any suggestions on how to clean off the stains and, if possible, treat the toe rail some way?

Thanks
Mark
--
Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape
400 MK II- Hull # 312

Tom Sokoloski

Mark,
I think you might find that the stains on the topsides are actually dirt/soot/air contaminants that have washed off the deck, and not actually from the toe rail. I found that the streaks on the topsides come off by applying another coat of wax, assuming the hull was clean and waxed before the streaks appeared in the first place. As Chic suggested, blocking (most of) the slots will cut down on the streaks.

KTMsailor

Tom and Chic,
Wife says I'm too old to streak anymore, I'll put some more wax on with my buffer.  Any suggestions to remove the stains without taking off all the wax that's there now?

Thanks
Mark

_________________________________
Mark Wilkinson
Paddock Swimming Pool Company
15120-C Southlawn Lane
Rockville, Maryland 20850
ph. 301-424-0790, ext 250
fx.  301-424-0556
Cell: 301-580-2790
mwilkinson@...

From:        "Tom Sokoloski" <tomsoko@...>
To:        C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Date:        04/02/2022 07:50 AM
Subject:        Re: [C400] Aluminum Toe Rail Stains on Topsides
Sent by:        C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io

Mark,
I think you might find that the stains on the topsides are actually dirt/soot/air contaminants that have washed off the deck, and not actually from the toe rail. I found that the streaks on the topsides come off by applying another coat of wax, assuming the hull was clean and waxed before the streaks appeared in the first place. As Chic suggested, blocking (most of) the slots will cut down on the streaks.

Juniper

Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape
400 MK II- Hull # 312

motiondetectors

Starbrite black streak remover

http://www.starbrite.com/item/instant-black-streak-remover

You can also find a rob type for half the price at a home center store

Mike
231

Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape
400 MK II- Hull # 312

motiondetectors

Rv type
Not rob type
Mike 231

You can also find a rob type for half the price at a home center store

Mike
231

Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape
400 MK II- Hull # 312

Steve B. Losik <sblmd1@...>

I doubt you can treat the sidelines on any way other than removing them.  It’s simply a function of the holes acting as drains. Just gotta clean the topsides more often is the only solution.

Steve
203

On Apr 2, 2022, at 7:35 AM, KTMsailor <mwilkinson@...> wrote:

Last spring I rubbed out and waxed the topsides and it made quite a difference in the boat's appearance.  This spring, light gray stains start at the openings in the toe rail and streak down the top sides.
I would like to remove the stains and treat the aluminum toe rail to eliminate or reduce the staining before I launch  next week.
Any suggestions on how to clean off the stains and, if possible, treat the toe rail some way?

Thanks
Mark
--
Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape
400 MK II- Hull # 312

Matt Perry

Regular boat soap removes the gray stains on the hull. Relatively easy if the hull has been waxed, which it sounds like you have done.

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 3:56 PM Steve B. Losik <sblmd1@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the input.  I washed the deck and cabin top first, then I started on the top sides.
You were correct, the gray streaks washed away very easily as the wax put on the season before kept the streaks from bonding to the top sides.

Thanks again,

Mark

_________________________________

From:        "Matt Perry" <mhperry815@...>
To:        C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Date:        04/02/2022 04:39 PM
[...]

Frank Falcone

Hi Mark:

How are you washing your topsides? …long handled brush with soap + a rinse? …soap recommendation??

Regards,

Frank, #247

From:        "Matt Perry" <mhperry815@...>
To:        C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Date:        04/02/2022 04:39 PM
[...]

Frank,

I used Awlgrip soap, 2 oz per gallon, worked pretty good on the non-slip and cabin trunk/cockpit.
I tried Blue Coral car wash on the topsides to try not to remove the wax, but it didn't work as well as the Awlgrip on the streaks, so I finished with Awlgrip.

Thanks
Mark

_________________________________
Mark Wilkinson
Paddock Swimming Pool Company
15120-C Southlawn Lane
Rockville, Maryland 20850
ph. 301-424-0790, ext 250
fx.  301-424-0556
Cell: 301-580-2790
mwilkinson@...

[EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Aluminum Toe Rail Stains on Topsides

Thanks for all the input.  I washed the deck and cabin top first, then I started on the top sides.
You were correct, the gray streaks washed away very easily as the wax put on the season before kept the streaks from bonding to the top sides.

Thanks again,

Mark

_________________________________
Mark Wilkinson
Paddock Swimming Pool Company
15120-C Southlawn Lane
Rockville, Maryland 20850
ph. 301-424-0790, ext 250
fx.  301-424-0556
Cell: 301-580-2790

mwilkinson@...

From:
"Matt Perry" <mhperry815@...>
To:
C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Date:
04/02/2022 04:39 PM

mwilkinson@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much. Over the years, I’ve tried many different soaps on the Topsides with varying success. I’ll give AWLGRIP Soap a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Frank,

SILVER EAGLE, #247

[EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Aluminum Toe Rail Stains on Topsides

Thanks for all the input.  I washed the deck and cabin top first, then I started on the top sides.
You were correct, the gray streaks washed away very easily as the wax put on the season before kept the streaks from bonding to the top sides.

Thanks again,

Mark

_________________________________
Mark Wilkinson
Paddock Swimming Pool Company
15120-C Southlawn Lane
Rockville, Maryland 20850
ph. 301-424-0790, ext 250
fx.  301-424-0556
Cell: 301-580-2790
mwilkinson@...

From:
"Matt Perry" <mhperry815@...>
To:
C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Date:
04/02/2022 04:39 PM

mwilkinson@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if it removes the wax, but it did work pretty well.

Thanks
Mark

_________________________________
[...]

From:
"Frank Falcone" <frank.falcone@...>
To:
"C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io" <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Date:
04/04/2022 08:37 AM
[...]

From:
"Matt Perry" <mhperry815@...>
To:
C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Date:
04/02/2022 04:39 PM

mwilkinson@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger that!

[EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Aluminum Toe Rail Stains on Topsides

Frank,

I used Awlgrip soap, 2 oz per gallon, worked pretty good on the non-slip and cabin trunk/cockpit.

I tried Blue Coral car wash on the topsides to try not to remove the wax, but it didn't work as well as the Awlgrip on the streaks, so I finished with Awlgrip.

Thanks
Mark

_________________________________
Mark Wilkinson

[...]