[EXTERNAL] [C400] Spinlock XT clutch rebuild or change out?

Frank Falcone

Hi Allen:

Aboard SILVER EAGLE, #247, I added jaw clutches to each side. I had to move the existing 2 port & starboard jaw clutches, which control the mainsail sheet, in order to add the 2 new jaw clutches. I use the new jaw clutches to control the position of the car on the Mainsail Traveler. The key information here is that there is metal (aluminum) under the fiberglass which is under your rope clutches. That’s a ‘good thing’. Drill the correct diameter holes through the fiberglass and aluminum. Then, tap the holes to create the required thread. Use butyl tape under the new clutches and screw them in place.

...hope this helps!

Regards,

Frank,

SILVER EAGLE, #247   

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Allen W. via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 5, 2022 12:09 AM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [C400] Spinlock XT clutch rebuild or change out?

Has anyone rebuilt or changed out their cabin top Spinlock XT clutches?

I have Spinlock XT clutch (1999 Mk1) that will not hold a new 3/8” line.  I’m not sure if the rebuild on this is the Handle, Cam, or Handle and Cam.  I’d like to avoid any unnecessary work or mistakes.

I downloaded the ‘rebuild instructions’ from the Spinlock website and they mention:

“Removing the Powerclutch from the deck”.

So I take that as the sides have to be removed to get to the mounting screws.

What I’d REALLY like to do is replace them with Garhauer clutches and am wondering if anyone has ever changed theirs out.

All help greatly appreciated!

- ALLEN

C400, 1999, Mk1, #154, San Diego

Allen W.

I have a new Dynema 3/8” Topping Lift (yes, only because I wanted a specific color) and it’s running through another Spinlock clutch and holding fine.

As a test, I ran the Topping Lift line through the ‘slipping clutch’ and it also slipped.  I then ran the new 3/8” Vang line the the topping lift clutch and it held fine.  So the prob seems to be with the clutch. 

I did run a ½” line though the slipping clutch and it held.

My boat is 23 years old and the clutches have likely never been serviced, Spinlock has discontinued the XT model, and Garhauer is close to where I live.  That’s why I’m thinking about replacing all of them with new Garhauer clutches.

The cool thing about the guys at Garhauer, is they’d probably custom make me base plates to match the Spinlock bolt pattern if they don’t match already.

I noticed Catalina Direct lists Garhauer clutches under the C400 rigging parts

- ALLEN

On Jan 5, 2022, at 7:33 AM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

Hi Allen:

Aboard SILVER EAGLE, #247, I added jaw clutches to each side. I had to move the existing 2 port & starboard jaw clutches, which control the mainsail sheet, in order to add the 2 new jaw clutches. I use the new jaw clutches to control the position of the car on the Mainsail Traveler. The key information here is that there is metal (aluminum) under the fiberglass which is under your rope clutches. That’s a ‘good thing’. Drill the correct diameter holes through the fiberglass and aluminum. Then, tap the holes to create the required thread. Use butyl tape under the new clutches and screw them in place.

...hope this helps!

Regards,
Frank, 
SILVER EAGLE, #247   

Dale Whitley

I just replace the cams and bases in my XT Spinlock clutches. It took less than an hour. It might be less $ to do that than replace the entire clutch. 

Dale Whitley

On Jan 5, 2022, at 12:53 PM, Allen W. <wrenchaw@...> wrote:

I have a new Dynema 3/8” Topping Lift (yes, only because I wanted a specific color) and it’s running through another Spinlock clutch and holding fine.

As a test, I ran the Topping Lift line through the ‘slipping clutch’ and it also slipped.  I then ran the new 3/8” Vang line the the topping lift clutch and it held fine.  So the prob seems to be with the clutch. 

I did run a ½” line though the slipping clutch and it held.

My boat is 23 years old and the clutches have likely never been serviced, Spinlock has discontinued the XT model, and Garhauer is close to where I live.  That’s why I’m thinking about replacing all of them with new Garhauer clutches.

The cool thing about the guys at Garhauer, is they’d probably custom make me base plates to match the Spinlock bolt pattern if they don’t match already.

I noticed Catalina Direct lists Garhauer clutches under the C400 rigging parts

- ALLEN

On Jan 5, 2022, at 7:33 AM, Frank Falcone <frank.falcone@...> wrote:

Hi Allen:

Aboard SILVER EAGLE, #247, I added jaw clutches to each side. I had to move the existing 2 port & starboard jaw clutches, which control the mainsail sheet, in order to add the 2 new jaw clutches. I use the new jaw clutches to control the position of the car on the Mainsail Traveler. The key information here is that there is metal (aluminum) under the fiberglass which is under your rope clutches. That’s a ‘good thing’. Drill the correct diameter holes through the fiberglass and aluminum. Then, tap the holes to create the required thread. Use butyl tape under the new clutches and screw them in place.

...hope this helps!

Regards,
Frank, 
SILVER EAGLE, #247