Anchor roller replacement

Kim Chapman

I want to replace one of the anchor rollers and am struggling to find a supplier. My primary motivation is to have a roller with a "chain groove" in it. I'm hoping this will help reduce the amount of chain twisting that I experience.

I am also considering machining a grove into the existing roller but not sure how practical this is.

I launch the boat in early January and am hoping to have a solution in place prior to leaving Toronto....

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

C320 #416
No Problem

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence

Ken

Kim,

One of these will work.  Not sure of your width but the bore is 5/8".

https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/anchor-roller-replacement-wheels.html

Ken

Doug Burr

Hi all, I looked at the roller from Catalina Direct, it was expensive and didn’t have a slot to align the chain. I found a replacement at a local marine store which had a groove for the chain and was 5/8” . It was cheap. The only issue was it was a bit narrow so I made a couple of discs out of Starboard for each side. They filled the gap and help the roller to spin.
Doug Burr # 104

On Dec 2, 2021, at 10:21 AM, Ken <kdg_1@...> wrote:

Kim,

One of these will work.  Not sure of your width but the bore is 5/8".

https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/anchor-roller-replacement-wheels.html

Ken

Lee Gerig

Hi Kim

I bought one from the Chandlery in Ottawa several years ago and it has performed well.   (here is the link https://www.thechandleryonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=10033) I am not sure of which particular model (328079 or 328069) because I am not at the boat.  It was a bit short, about ½ inch I think but I bought some large fender washer for each side and there was no problem.

As a caution, when the original roller failed, I purchased one from Princess Auto which fit very well, but completely failed in less than 1 season – don’t bother looking at their stuff for this application.

Hope you find what you are looking for

Cheers

Lee

S/V Keelingtime  #262

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...>
Date: Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 1:14 PM
To: C400 Forum C400 Forum <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Anchor roller replacement

I want to replace one of the anchor rollers and am struggling to find a supplier. My primary motivation is to have a roller with a "chain groove" in it. I'm hoping this will help reduce the amount of chain twisting that I experience.

I am also considering machining a grove into the existing roller but not sure how practical this is.

I launch the boat in early January and am hoping to have a solution in place prior to leaving Toronto....

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

C320 #416
No Problem

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

Tim Francis

I’m using a bow roller from a trailer with washers on the sides. One of my big white ones cracked off. I coukdnt ever find the right replacement.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...>
Date: Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 1:14 PM
To: C400 Forum C400 Forum <c400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

I want to replace one of the anchor rollers and am struggling to find a supplier. My primary motivation is to have a roller with a "chain groove" in it. I'm hoping this will help reduce the amount of chain twisting that I experience.

I am also considering machining a grove into the existing roller but not sure how practical this is.

I launch the boat in early January and am hoping to have a solution in place prior to leaving Toronto....

Kim Chapman
C400 #249
Quiescence

C320 #416
No Problem

--
Kim Chapman
Quiescence
C400-249

4speedfunk

Like several others, I could not find a replacement roller that would fit without modification.  So, I bought a 6" bar of UV-resistant black Delrin (4" O.D.) from McMaster-Carr and made my own...

https://www.mcmaster.com/8497K115/

I work in a machine shop and have access to lathe, so it was not a big deal.  The chain slot is must in my opinion...it keeps the chain/rode from ramping up the side of the roller and making a bunch of noise when anchored in wind/currents.  I do not feel the chain slot in the roller has any effect on "twist" of the chain.  I think that is probably your swivel (or lack of).  I tried a Maxwelll swivel and it worked great for about two months.  Soon after it started to corrode and stick.  I would take it apart and lubricate it about once a month...eventually realizing its a total piece of $hit.  Get a Mantus swivel...much better design.

Let me know if you cannot find a roller to your liking.  Send me a sketch of dimensions via email, and I can make you a custom one (or several).

Jim King

Could somebody please post a picture of this “chain slot” that is being discussed?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jim King

“Kashmir” (#335)

[...]

Roger Calvert

Kim,

MarineDepotDirect.com

Item

Sku

Qty

1210U - Delrin Wheel 4" Diameter, 4" Width, 5/8" Center Hole

1210U

2

This worked for me.

Roger J L Calvert