[EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Leak between Aft Head and holding tank

Frank Falcone

…pulling out the medicine cabinet, hmmmmmmmmm. Take and share some pictures!

Regards,

Frank

SILVER EAGLE, #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ben Cage via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2021 4:20 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Leak between Aft Head and holding tank

Thank you all for the insight.  We haven't pulled out the medicine cabinet, but we plan to do so on the next trip to the boat.  We looked behind the panel in the shower compartment and didn't see anything unusual or any leaks.  We are hoping it is something simple that we can see behind the medicine cabinet.  Water travels in unusual ways in boats.  I will update if we find the problem so someone in the future may know what to look for.  If we can't find the problem we will be changing the hose and possibly the vent early this spring.

Thanks,

Ben

Tom Sokoloski

Ben,
While you are at it, I assume you have taken off the inspection panel below the nav station?  Between the panel in the shower and the panel below the nav station, you can almost see all of the hose, IIRC. With bright flashlights, you should be able to at least look at the hose. But then again, any chaffe spots wouldn't be on the top of the hose, which is visible!  :-)

Frank,
If you haven't taken out the medicine cabinet(s), you should, even if only to satisfy your curiosity! Very easy to do. One screw in each corner. 

Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT 
On the hard in Glastonbury, CT

--
Tom Soko
Juniper #307
Noank, CT

Ben Cage

I am going to order a scope for the iPhone, I think it's about $30, maybe this will help.  Hopefully I will have some more info with in a week or so.  I will take pictures if anyone wants to see them.

Thanks!

Ben

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Tom Sokoloski wrote:
If you haven't taken out the medicine cabinet(s), you should, even if only to satisfy your curiosity! Very easy to do. One screw in each corner. 

Frank Falcone

Hi Ben:

GREAT!! …looking forward to receiving photographs!

Regards,

Frank, SILVER EAGLE #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ben Cage via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 3:50 PM
To: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Leak between Aft Head and holding tank

I am going to order a scope for the iPhone, I think it's about $30, maybe this will help.  Hopefully I will have some more info with in a week or so.  I will take pictures if anyone wants to see them.

Thanks!

Ben

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Tom Sokoloski wrote:

Ben Cage

Hello Everyone.  
I was going to post an update on the replacement of Jazzy’s aft holding tank hose.  We took the advice of several on the forum for technique and it worked really well.  We did scope out the area very thoroughly before the project and found that the hose goes under the chart table between the wall and the area that’s designed to hold charts.  The area is really small/tight and was the point where the old holding tank hose failed.  We found a puncture in the hose that was the size of a screw where the hose was leaking.  We aren’t sure what caused the puncture, but have propped the hose up so it can’t get wedged in-between the hull and the chart holder.  I am attaching a picture of the tight space.
We removed the aft toilet from the bathroom to make more space for pulling the hose through and it made the job fairly simple.  Most of our time was spent prepping for the project, not actually working.  After we removed the toilet we sewed the new holding tank hose to the old holding tank hose and wrapped about 2 wraps of duct tape around it.  We used a drill to pre-drill holes for the whipping twine which we used to secure the two hoses together. One thing that we did that was different was mix a solution of dawn dish soap and water into a spray bottle to spray the hose so that it would slip through the tunnel easier.
We did use a phone wifi scope to make sure we weren’t pulling any wires through when we were pulling the hose in and out since it goes right behind the chart table where ALL the electrical goes.  We pulled from th salon side of the hose and with the dish soap spray mixture it moved pretty easily.  When we replaced the pump out hose, we pulled from the salon after sewing the new hose on to the old hose that’s behind the shower wall.  We also wrapped it with duct tape.
The entire process for both hoses took around half of a day for two people. We are now deciding if we want to replace the vent hose-that may be the next project.  We chose to go with the Raritan Sani-Flex hose due to it’s flexibility which may have made the process easier.
I am attaching the scope link below.  I don’t have anything to do with the scope, nor do I make any money off of it, I just think it’s a cool tool and I’m glad to have it in the tool box.  
-Ben #306 Jazzy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1