External Alternator Regulator

Bret

Hi All,

I've had a Balmar alternator installed for some time, but just got around to getting an external (Balmar) multi-stage regulator for it.

I'm curious as to where others might have their external regulators mounted (assuming you have such a thing).  I'd thought about just outside the aft head, but the wife doesn't like the way the wires would protrude, etc.  (Not sure I blame her there).  Given the wire length, it might have to be within the engine compartment somewhere (not that there's copious amounts of space there, though.)

--
Bret
JoyRide, #205

sailbrunelle@gmail.com

I am assigned the stbd. side of the aft cabin.  I have the regulator on the forward wall of that space not far from the alternator, just above the engine cover.  Yell if you need a picture.

Dan in Rock Hall, MD
Brunelle, #106

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 6:24 PM Bret <b.a.phillips@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I've had a Balmar alternator installed for some time, but just got around to getting an external (Balmar) multi-stage regulator for it.

I'm curious as to where others might have their external regulators mounted (assuming you have such a thing).  I'd thought about just outside the aft head, but the wife doesn't like the way the wires would protrude, etc.  (Not sure I blame her there).  Given the wire length, it might have to be within the engine compartment somewhere (not that there's copious amounts of space there, though.)

--
Bret
JoyRide, #205
Bellevue, WA

Boris Keselman

Bret, On #234 and #203 regulator are mounted on starboard side of the bulkhead of the motor compartment behind aft engine cover.

Boris,

I've had a Balmar alternator installed for some time, but just got around to getting an external (Balmar) multi-stage regulator for it.

I'm curious as to where others might have their external regulators mounted (assuming you have such a thing).  I'd thought about just outside the aft head, but the wife doesn't like the way the wires would protrude, etc.  (Not sure I blame her there).  Given the wire length, it might have to be within the engine compartment somewhere (not that there's copious amounts of space there, though.)

--
Bret
JoyRide, #205
Bellevue, WA

Alan Johnson

Brett
On Skol #130 it is mounted on the bulkhead just outside and above the engine compartment cover.under the stairs on the starboard sided.  I just knocked off a corner of the engine compartment cover so as to not nick the wires

Alan J  Skol #130

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM Boris Keselman via groups.io <keselmab=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bret, On #234 and #203 regulator are mounted on starboard side of the bulkhead of the motor compartment behind aft engine cover.

Boris,

I've had a Balmar alternator installed for some time, but just got around to getting an external (Balmar) multi-stage regulator for it.

I'm curious as to where others might have their external regulators mounted (assuming you have such a thing).  I'd thought about just outside the aft head, but the wife doesn't like the way the wires would protrude, etc.  (Not sure I blame her there).  Given the wire length, it might have to be within the engine compartment somewhere (not that there's copious amounts of space there, though.)

--
Bret
JoyRide, #205
Bellevue, WA

Tom Sokoloski

Brett,
I also mounted mine just above the engine cover, under the stairs. Wires come up next to the plumbing for the anti-siphon valve. I made an enclosure out of white pvc board and clear plexi, to be able to read any error codes. I think I read somewhere that the heat inside the engine compartment was not good for the regulator. Here are some pix.

Tom

4speedfunk

I have a new Balmar regulator sitting in the box...part of this season's upgrades.  The existing external regulator is mounted inside the motor enclosure...screwed to the end of the galley cabinet (starboard of the motor).  It has some LED indicators and small pots that must be adjusted with a mini screw-driver.  This must done with the motor running, and it requires me to get my face down there inches away from the belt & rotating parts.  Not only is the engine heat bad for the regulator but, its downright dangerous and inconvenient as hell for me!  So the Balmar unit will get mounted somewhere else (probably like Juniper's).  This piece of equipment is something that needs to be accessible for adjustments, and putting it inside the motor clamshell does not qualify.  These external regulators also generate quite a bit of their own heat and some of them even have cooling fins...not sure I would put it inside a small enclosure.  I will mount mine exposed but maybe add a small roof over the top of it, to shelter it from any weather that would make it down the companionway.

Also a related question for Tom...
Not to hijack the regulator discussion but, Does that other white box contain your anti-siphon rig?

Reason I ask is that my anti-siphon loop is located entirely below that flat platform...within the engine compartment.  When I slide the front clamshell on/off over the motor, the top of it just barely clears the vent fitting.  My Mk I boat has a Westerbeke-42, and I have been head-scratching a "steam from exhaust" issue.  The motor runs fine and stays cool...but we have a steam cloud that frequently follows behind our boat during certain weather conditions.  After seeing Juniper's companionway steps...I am now wondering if my steam issue (hot exhaust temps) is due to the anti-siphon fitting being mounted too low?  Might start another thread on this.

Jeff Bird

My regulator cover is very similar to Tom’s (I think I copied his!), but the access window has no “glass,” to also allow ventilation. To minimize hot air traveling up the hole in the engine cover I installed some heat resistant foam in the bottom of the box.

I had initially installed the regulator in the aft cabin, but I wanted to be able to see my battery monitor in the main cabin while I made adjustments to the regulator.

My regulator cover also contains an alarm that will sound if water builds up under the engine... such as when the dripless shaft seal gets dirty and leaks like crazy (it happened!).
--
Jeff Bird
S/V Priorities C400 #53

Tom Sokoloski

Jeff,
That's a good observation. I think one of my winter projects will be to take that regulator enclosure home and put some ventilation holes in it. Thanks for the idea.

Tom

Ken

Christian,

If your exhaust raw water is steaming your flow is compromised. Follow the water from the thru-hull all the way to the exhaust. My guess, now knowing it's a Westerbeke there may be bits of impeller on the end of the heat exchanger.  The other possibilities are you need a new impeller or the exhaust elbow injection point may be clogged.