In mast furling

Lee Gerig

Hi All
Our 2003 MKII (#262) has in mast furling and we are now having a difficult time pulling the sail out. By the feel of it I suspect there is an issue with the bearings. Has anyone replaced the bearings on this furling system? Any advice as to what to look for or possibly lubricate? Are there bearings at the top of the mast?

Thanks All
Lee
S/V Keelingtime #262

On Aug 10, 2020, at 6:40 PM, John Morawski <morawsu@...> wrote:

We also had a problem of the water heater and even the other fresh water tanks smelling like sulfur when we were away for awhile.  Used a cup of bleach per tank and ran through the water heater.  Had to flush several times to get the bleach odor out.

Found a product at West Marine that would keep the tanks fresh for months.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--water-treatment-and-freshener-16oz--16731374?recordNum=1

On Aug 10, 2020, at 4:31 PM, Lee Gerig <keelingtime1@...> wrote:

Hi Ken

We replaced our hot water tank several years ago.  It wasn’t as big a job as I had feared.  We decided to replace the 20 gallon tank with an 11 gallon tank.  It was easier to get in and gave us more room under the sink.

In terms of the sulphur smell we get that often.  It is usually because you have contamination and bacteria starts to grow in the tanks and lines.  We make up a solution of hydrogen peroxide and put it in the tanks and lines and leave it for 24 hours – takes care of the problem until we get our next batch of bad water from some marina.

If you need details ion the tank we choose, I have that on file, just let me know.

Cheers

Lee

S/V Keelingtime  #262

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject: [C400] Hot water tank gasification

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

John Morawski <morawsu@...>

I had the same problem.  Pulled the mast and found at the bottom of the mast the race was
heavly corroded.  Fell apart when removed.  After sailing, I always rinsed the bearings but evidently not good enough.  With the new bearings, I had forgot how easy the sail came in and out.  The rigger recommended not only rinsing but a touch of a light oil.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

Lee Gerig

Thanks John
How hard was it to change the bearings?
Lee

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

We have a Catalina 445 with in mast furling. We have learned that difficulties pulling the sail out and furling has to do with the tension on the sail from the main halyard. Try loosening the halyard a little. I lubed the bearings this spring and experienced some difficulty in getting the main out. I adjusted the tension on the main halyard and the problem went away.

Rich Freeman
s/v Patty K Too
Hull No 91
Solomons, Maryland

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

John Morawski <morawsu@...>

I had a rigger do it.  But it looked pretty easy.  Biggest problem was pulling the mast.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

Jim King

I agree with Rich.  Loosen the halyard a couple inches.  Spray “Sail Kote” on the bottom bearing.  I sprayed liberally.  Now mine  works smooth and easy.  No winches required.

What will it hurt to try that before you have a mast pulled or replace a bearing.

Good luck.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

Andrew Massey

Before you pull the sail out or fuel in raise the boom with the topping lift. Note the cut of the foot of the sail relative to the boom angle - chances are you are attempting to pull it out at an angle with a mechanical disadvantage. Once the sail is out lower the boom and flatten the sail. Been doing this for years and works every time.

Pardon my spelling - sent from my iPhone

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

Tom Weaver

Hull #164, in mast furling.

If my main halyard is slack at all my main jams when furling.   Also, I keep the outhaul block on the boom well cleaned and lubricated with dry lube.

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

Lee Gerig

Thanks to all of you for your advice. In my case it turns out that Rich and Jim were correct. I loosened the main halyard about 2 inches and like magic everything works fine.

I may still look into replacing the bearings in the off season. Does anyone know who manufactures the in mast furling system

Cheers
Lee
S/V Keelingtime #262

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

Ken

Lee,

Catalina used Sparcraft out of Charleston, SC on Hull 245.

Ken

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

quevillon gaetan <quevillon_gaetan@...>

Hello Les

I order few times parts about mast from Rig-Rite, I think they have almost everything about mast. In their website you can find a lot of drawing where you can see ail the parts and number. They work in old fashion for order by fax but they are fast for delivery.

Gaétan

--
Gaetan Quevillon
Selena 1

Hank Lewis <hslewis2@...>

Thanks Jim.

Where are the bearings and how did you access them to spray them?

Hank

From: <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of K Pitser <Kpitser@...>
Date: Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM
To: <C400@catalina400-445.groups.io>

1. Does anyone have problems with the hot water supply being filled with air/gas and smelling foul of sulphur? I’m wondering if I’ve got chemical contaminants in the tank, experiencing some sort of tank corrosion process that results in gas build up or lastly, a leak in the heating loop from the engine.

2. The tank shows general corrosion in the exterior and I’m wondering if anyone has done a hot water tank replacement?

Ken
S/v Luminosa

Catalina 400 hull #206

Lee Gerig