Re: Refrigerator/Freezer

Frank Falcone

Hi Lance:

Thanks so much for your input!

Regards,

Frank

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of S/V No Agenda via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 4:33 PM
To: C400@catalina400-445.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Refrigerator/Freezer

I know very little about these systems. As others have suggested, cleaning the terminals might be a good place to start. A bad cooling fan can also cause the compressor to fail to start.  My boat broker helps me with my refer systems and  showed me how to do some of the basics. 

Lance

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 10:15 AM Frank Falcone via groups.io <frank.falcone=villanova.edu@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Lance:

WOW!! Thanks for your guidance! It sounds like I should get a ‘professional’ (someone who has experience) to do this.

...thoughts?

Regards,

Frank, 247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of S/V No Agenda via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 10:11 AM

You can get it from any auto parts store, Walmart. You may also need to get an adapter for the Schrader valve for R134. It would also be helpful to have a gauges. If there is no pressure in the system it is best to put a vacuum pump on it to remove moisture. Turn off compressor before hooking hoses to the compressor. Purge the air out of the line. Add freon slowly, short burst and wait a bit before adding more. When the evaporator plate start to cool slow down adding freon. Give the plate time to cool so that to much freon doesn't get added. Check all fittings for leaks when the system has a charge. 

This is the cliff notes version of how to do this. 

Lance Yee

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022, 9:41 AM Frank Falcone via groups.io <frank.falcone=villanova.edu@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Terry:

Thanks so much! Where can I purchase the R143A?

Regards,

Frank

SILVER EAGLE, #247

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> On Behalf Of Terry Sweeney via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 1:13 AM

I had the same toggling issue you reported with your refrigerator system.  Mine issue was due to too low of a level of refrigerant.  It was an easy fix once I obtained the right brass adapter to attach to the vertical charge port tube located on the Adler /Barbour unit.  Add small amounts of R143A refrigerant at a time and then let the unit run for an hour to see if it is enough to get the cooling process started.  Go slow and do not overcharge the system as this leads to other issues. Make sure to use only refrigerants that do not contain sealants or other additives. 

Good luck with it,

Terry Sweeney

Windmist II, #17

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 2:56 PM Frank Falcone via groups.io <frank.falcone=villanova.edu@groups.io> wrote:

C400/445 Colleagues:

The compressor on my WAECO Adler/Barbour Refrigeration System aboard SILVER EAGLE (2002 Catalina 400 Mark II) toggles on and off by itself every 5-10 seconds or so. Then, it stops for a while, then repeats. The refrigerator box is not cold. The ice in the freezer has melted. I have electricity to the compressor. So, I don't think that it's a switch or fuse problem. This just occurred. The system is 20 years old with no prior problems.

...any thoughts or suggestions?

Does anyone know of any WAECO Adler/Barbour service/repair facilities on the northern Chesapeake Bay?

...looking forwad to your responses!

Regards,

Frank Falcone

SILVER EAGLE #247 

Join C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.