Screw drilled through hull bottomby Rudder. Post

KTMsailor

Nick,
Your advice is appreciated and I'll explore going that direction.  Your suggestion is way better than what I thought might be necessary.
I might add some JB weld around the area to seal it as well.

Thanks
Mark

Rockville, Maryland 20850
ph. 301-424-0790, ext 250
fx.  301-424-0556
Cell: 301-580-2790
mwilkinson@...

To:        "C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io" <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Date:        12/28/2021 10:21 PM
Subject:        Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Screw drilled through hull bottomby Rudder. Post
Sent by:        C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io

Hi mark,

The set screws are retaining bolts for the bottom rudder bearing. The bearings were originally fixed with countersunk screw from below the boat but the bearing came loose in some cases and this was subsequently changed to the method on your boat.

Ours were the original method and came loose but our owners manual had engineering drawings for the revised method and I have made the modification. I would suggest withdrawing the screws, clean up the threads and inject suitable flexibile, below water sealant in the holes and onto the bolts and reinstall. Make sure you snug them up sufficient but don't overtighten. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nick. Divided Sky #232

Get Outlook for Android

From: C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io> on behalf of KTMsailor <mwilkinson@...>
Sent:
Wednesday, December 29, 2021 5:42:40 AM
To:
C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io <C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io>
Subject:
Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [C400] Screw drilled through hull bottomby Rudder. Post

My analysis that the PO drove screws thru the bottom of the hull to hold the battery box down was erroneous.  The boat is currently on a hard so todayI went into the Port lazaret at the stern to  remove the battery remove the battery box. The rusty screw identified earlier did not pass through the 2 x 2
The 2 x 2 was actually bedded with some sort of sealant and the screw did not penetrate the hull.  But I did find a source of the leak(s).  At the very base of the rudder post on either side I found what looks like a hole drilled in the rudder post at the very base just above the inside surface of the hull (one on the starboard side and one on the port side) what appeared to be some type of Apoxsee or putty with a nonferrous screw going to the center of it. Both “plugs” Showed extensive discoloration where they had been leaking.  My best guess is that either Catalina or the previous owner elected to drive the screws in to hold thy rudder bushing in place while the rudder was being worked on but this is just a wild guess.  

Now  I need to determine how to fix this mess.  Do I remove the screw drill out the epoxy and re-epoxy it?  Are the screws holding the bushing in place and keeping it from dropping down to the top of the rudder blade? Do I need to drive wedges on top of the rotor blade to hold a bushing up while I repair the leak?
I have attached several photos below and hopes that somebody can tell me if they’ve seen this before and a best fix
thanks Mark

--
Mark Wilkinson

Great Escape

400 MK II- Hull # 312

--
Mark Wilkinson
Great Escape
400 MK II- Hull # 312

Join C400@Catalina400-445.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.