I was on an offshore delivery to Antiqua this fall an IP 485 that lost the forestay due to the top Sta-Loc fitting unthreading. Based on that experience, I would be very hesitant to use this product and would lean towards a fully swaged forestay in the future. With that said, if the Sta-Lok was at the base of the forestay, it would have been easier to repair underway. But with roller furling action, and potential binding of the bearings, seems swage is the way to go. Just saying...

Matt Perry
Exuberant

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 2:32 PM Kim Chapman <kim.chapman@...> wrote:

So I will be installing this new rigging myself. The shrouds are all straight forward of course however the forestay needs some consideration. If you opt to have the new wire swaged at both ends then the aluminum foil needs a significant disassembly in order to install it. If you opt for only a single swage then I think it's a lot easier to fish the new wire through the foil and then terminate the bitter end with a Sta-Lok. I'm certainly going for the latter. What I'm not sure of is whether to rig it with the swage at the top and the Sta-Lok at the bottom or the other way around.

One way may be easier, the other way may affect longevity.

Thoughts ?

Cheers....

Kim Chapman
C400 #249